5 axis metalworking cnc

Thread: 5 axis metalworking cnc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question 5 axis metalworking cnc

hi, i'm new to this forum (and to CNC too actually)

i'm building a 3 axis woodworking cnc atm using small stepper motors, and i'm already thinking about my next project: a 5 axis metalworking cnc using servo motors

i was wondering a few things. my end project is to machine turbines to build jet engines for R/C models.
    so first question: is a homemade CNC strong/powerfull enough to machine hard metal, like steel, for a 'reasonnable' price (hey! its just a hobby...)

and in this case, what kind of hardware do i need? (servo motors/drivers)

and the bonus question: do you know resellers for this hardware in europe?

thank you
    nimda

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 5 axis metalworking cnc

Hello,

You're in luck! Richard Bartlett in the UK has a company called compucutters, and a program called compucut. Along with a DIY-CNC plans set for a machine that is a bit unconventional, compared to what we see here in the "zone"...

It's not 5 axis, but the design is intended for, and well proven with, turbine parts. And hard metals like ss316, nimonic and inconel...

A yahoo search of compucut will pull it right up...

Ballendo

Originally posted by nimda
    hi, i'm new to this forum (and to CNC too actually)

i'm building a 3 axis woodworking cnc atm using small stepper motors, and i'm already thinking about my next project: a 5 axis metalworking cnc using servo motors

i was wondering a few things. my end project is to machine turbines to build jet engines for R/C models.
    so first question: is a homemade CNC strong/powerfull enough to machine hard metal, like steel, for a 'reasonnable' price (hey! its just a hobby...)

and in this case, what kind of hardware do i need? (servo motors/drivers)

and the bonus question: do you know resellers for this hardware in europe?

thank you
    nimda

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

very interesting design, thx ballendo

well this website proves it actually is possible to machine turbines with a 3 axis setup. pulling the price down, good thing but the problem with this setup is that it's very specific, and i want to be able to do 'standard' 3 axis machining.

i'm gonna think about a 3 axis setup + 1 're/movable' axis specifically for turbines. i think it can be done this way...

but i still need powerfull servos/drivers to machine steel, any suggest?

thx again

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

well, looks like geckos servo drives G320 are pretty famous in the world of homemade CNC. i'm prolly gonna use geckos then.

now i need motors... what should i get? (to be able to machine strong metal with decent speed)

thx

edit: http://www.parvex.com/pdf/us/com/3366-US.pdf will the RX 330 C do the job?

Last edited by nimda; 02-15-2004 at 12:49 PM.