Newbie Keling vs CNCRouterParts electronics kits

Thread: Keling vs CNCRouterParts electronics kits

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Keling vs CNCRouterParts electronics kits

Building an oversized custom 4x8 table using mostly aluminum extrusions that will be running a full size router used mostly for cutting wood but occasionally to cut aluminum. R&p X & Y with CNCRouterParts pro R&P drives/tensioners(pro 3.2:1 ones) gantry is somewhere in the 60 lb range. Z is a custom ballscrew setup with 12" linear motion. I want this setup to be as close to "done right the first time" as I can get it. That being said I'm torn between these two options. Feel free to suggest other options or tell me both these are way overkill if I'm just getting too crazy for my needs.

Option 1 is the Keling one: http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/servo-nema34-kits/4-axis-nema34-1150ozin-72v20a-psu-g320x-gecko-driver

Option 2 is the CNCRouterParts one in which I would opt for the $100 G203V upgrade: http://www.cncrouterparts.com/4-axis-diy-nema-34-electronics-kit-p-123.html

I'm kind of leaning towards the Keling one because of it's using servos vs steppers but after reading countless arguments on here I'm really open to either. The wiring of the CNCRP kit looks very ideal for DIY applications although I'm certainly not afraid to put together my own custom lengths of cabling, etc. I doubt too many people have had experience with both kits but that'd be the best person ever to hear an opinion from. Anyways; any & all feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by cadguyfrompti; 03-14-2015 at 11:08 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Kelling vs CNCRouterParts electronics kits

I've never seen anyone use servos with a CNC Router Parts rack and pinion setup. Ideally, you'd want a much higher reduction, to take advantage of the servos 4000 rpm max.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I've never seen anyone use servos with a CNC Router Parts rack and pinion setup. Ideally, you'd want a much higher reduction, to take advantage of the servos 4000 rpm max.
    This is the kind of feedback I definitely need. So in other words a 3.2:1 reduction is not going to allow me to fully utilize the servos and the CNCRP setup is much better suited?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Keling vs CNCRouterParts electronics kits

great. now you tell me. I'm in the process of setting up the control panel for a keling 1150oz/in servo setup with cncrp 3.2/1 setup. Sounds like it's gonna be a bust.

Colten Edwards [URL="http://www.cncsigns.ca"]http://www.cncsigns.ca[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Your setup may not be ideal reduction wise but won't be a bust at all. Speed wise you will be limited by your machine not the motors. If you want more power you can change the large pinion to a larger size. Even if you don't your system will be fine with plenty of power.

Ben

Downloads
    Uploads

If you don't know what you are doing with servos be careful on buying a bag-0-parts. You really need to consider differential encoder communication (sender/ receiver) on cables over about 6 to 8 ft. That motor will do about 3500 RPM under load. at 3.2:1 that makes it close to 1000 RPM . Tie that to a 1" pinion and you are back up to over 3000 IPM . You don't have to run at that speed (especially on a router) but if you get a run away you will only have time to say SH......before it hits the limits. 58.3 Inches per second! That motor has about 450 ox-in of RUNNING torque. Then you need to worry about tuning the servos. In that setup a Gecko can fault from a following error and it turns off while the other three just keep truckin' or worse it faults, pauses for 2 sec and then starts up again way out of position. Better servo controllers sense if any one driver faults and shut everything down. You need an e-stop circuit that depowers the motors not just stops the step pulses. On a router where you want gobs of torque (especially for cutting aluminum you would like to have at least a 10:1 planetary gearbox (price those out!) in place of the 3.2:1. Most of your cutting will be at 30 IPM or less. Something with a 300 to 500 IPM rapid and lots of torque better fits the bill.
    The 3.2:1 is better suited to the stepper with a max RPM of about 600 that ratio with a 1" pinion gives you about 500 - 600 IPM rapids and good torque at cutting speeds. You cannot really call either one a "kit". Its a collection of parts that may or MAY NOT be engineered to work together. CNCRouterParts makes some quality mechanical parts. I would think they better understand what electronics work best on a router table.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    If you don't know what you are doing with servos be careful on buying a bag-0-parts. You really need to consider differential encoder communication (sender/ receiver) on cables over about 6 to 8 ft. That motor will do about 3500 RPM under load. at 3.2:1 that makes it close to 1000 RPM . Tie that to a 1" pinion and you are back up to over 3000 IPM . You don't have to run at that speed (especially on a router) but if you get a run away you will only have time to say SH......before it hits the limits. 58.3 Inches per second! That motor has about 450 ox-in of RUNNING torque. Then you need to worry about tuning the servos. In that setup a Gecko can fault from a following error and it turns off while the other three just keep truckin' or worse it faults, pauses for 2 sec and then starts up again way out of position. Better servo controllers sense if any one driver faults and shut everything down. You need an e-stop circuit that depowers the motors not just stops the step pulses. On a router where you want gobs of torque (especially for cutting aluminum you would like to have at least a 10:1 planetary gearbox (price those out!) in place of the 3.2:1. Most of your cutting will be at 30 IPM or less. Something with a 300 to 500 IPM rapid and lots of torque better fits the bill.
    The 3.2:1 is better suited to the stepper with a max RPM of about 600 that ratio with a 1" pinion gives you about 500 - 600 IPM rapids and good torque at cutting speeds. You cannot really call either one a "kit". Its a collection of parts that may or MAY NOT be engineered to work together. CNCRouterParts makes some quality mechanical parts. I would think they better understand what electronics work best on a router table.
    Well said !