Need Help! Wiring and getting it to work

Thread: Wiring and getting it to work

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wiring and getting it to work

I hope this is the right place to ask for this kind of help.

I will add links to the parts I am using. Stepper motors 4 of these. : Stepper Motor :BOB :Driver Board

I am trying to use the 8 wire stepper in Bi-Polar parallel. I tie the wires as seen in the diagram Red and Blue = A , Yellow and Black = A- , White and Brown = B and Orange and Green = B-. When I hook A+ and A- and B+ and B- on the Driver board and have the 36V power hooked up I get a red light and blow a fuse. I am sure and have used a meter to confirm that
    I have red and blue going to a single wire and that wire going to A on the Driver Board. Yellow and Black to a single wire going to A- , and the same for B and B-.

Please any advice as to what I have wrong.

Thank You
    Don

Similar Threads:
    The time has come the woodworker said to speak of many things. 0f routers and Wood , chips and paints and stains and CNC and other things.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Wiring and getting it to work

Your motor is hooked up like the drawing shows.

What fuse ? Is it on the input of the power supply or fuse between the power supply and driver ?
    Are you testing one driver/motor at a time?
    Test the power supply first with nothing hooked to the output, make sure it is the right voltage and then make sure the + - are correct to the driver + -.

You can try these tests, make sure the power is off before doing anything, also check to see that the power supply has no output voltage, capacitors in the power supply can hold a charge for a long time even will no power.
    Safer to test one driver at a time if they are all hooked up ? , and also reduce the fuse size to half or less while testing.

If you unhook only the inputs on the driver (pul/dir/ena) and it doesnt blow the fuse, then its possibly a signal problem or configuration error, this would be rare but could make a fuse blow.
    Next, power off/check for no voltage and unplug the motor from the driver and if it still blows the fuse when you power it up, your driver is bad. ( only the power supply connector on the driver is plugged in for this test )

Downloads
    Uploads

The fuse is between the power supply and the driver. I am working on one driver and one motors at a time. Power supply is working fine it is a Meanwell 36V 12.5 .amp. I have quit for the night it is late and I am out of fuses I will start again in the morning.

Don

The time has come the woodworker said to speak of many things. 0f routers and Wood , chips and paints and stains and CNC and other things.

Downloads
    Uploads

Can someone tell me if the DQ542MA Driver has logic side power and if it does do I need to remove the pins JP1 thru JP4 on the BOB ?
    The PBX-2 utilizes our standard PBX -Header IDC connectors for easily connecting to our drivers
    and other peripherals. See Figure 1for the pinouts of the PBX-Header . The PBX-Header can
    supply logic side power to your driver boards. Some of our drivers also have on-board logic supply
    regulators. Use the jumpers JP1-4 to ensure that both regulator sections are not connected at the
    same time.

Thank You
    Don

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Line 8 of the spec sheet (the link you supplied) says the driver needs +4-5 volts for signal high.
    The bob spec sheet tells me that the bob is positive pulse, that would be how my board is also, all signal - are grounded and all + signals come from the bob + (pul/dir/ena), no need for any other connections or power. You can remove the jumpers or just dont hookup pin 7 to the driver ( no place for it anyway ).

The bob (the link you supplied) says it needs two isolated power supplies. I would take a guess you are using usb for pc side and the meanwell for the driver side.

hope that helps

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok I don't see a pin 7. You must be referring to the PBX Header. I do not have a PBX cable. The Driver has 4 places for wires to the motors A-A and B-B. These I am sure are correct. Now to the connection for the step and direction. Let's look at Z-axis. On the BOB pin 6 and 7 are step and direction for Z. On the driver this leaves 2 pins +5v. I think these go to the ground pin on the BOB marked grd. This leaves one pin not accounted for. On the BOB the pin sequence is step , direction , ground , and enable. So I hooked up the enable pin on the BOB to the enable pin on the driver. I still have no movement but the motor makes no sound but it is locked and holding torque. The light on the driver is green and I am not blowing fuses.

I have 36v going in and at A+ , A- I get 33v and on B+ , B- , I get almost no volts maybe 3v .

Thank You
    Don

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You described the stepper wiring as it shows in the manual and is hooked to the driver right.
    The stepper driver voltage test would be between A+ to A- =0vdc and B+ to B- =0vdc (no input hooked up to the driver) and not to ground, these outputs are floating with no reference to ground.

Ok no pbx headers, = figure 1

The bob instructions in figure 5 calls the screw terminals, pins.
    Z hookup to the screw terminals (pins) is, looking at bob figure 5 and Control Signal Connector P1 pins on the driver
    bob pin 6 to driver pul +
    bob pin 7 to driver dir +
    bob pin 17 to driver ena +
    bob pin 18-25=ground to driver pul - , dir - , ena - ( I ran 3 wires for grounds but on the bob side I twisted them together and for example for you, I put all 3 wires into pin 18, instead of one per pin) or any 3 for Z grounds from pins 18 to 25.

I am using 24 gauge 8 wire in a shielded jacket to the hookup bob to driver so was easy to put 3 wires on one screw (you maybe able to do this or you can use, lets say, 18,19,20 for ground)

This should make the Z run.

One other thing, I dont know what software you use to run this, for the Estop, you may need to run a jumper wire from,
    bob pin 10 to bob pin 18-25 gnd.

If the motors are holding and not blowing fuses then all is ok , just need to get signals right.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If the steppers are still not running...

"Typical Connections" last picture on driver page, this shows a +5 volt going to all pul+/dir+/ena+ and control signals going to the pul-/dir-/ena- from the bob, the only easy way to get the +5 volts is through the bob PBX cables since there is no terminal(pin) to get +5 volts. That is your bob jp1-jp4 and pin7 pbx (Figure 1: PBX Header Pin Diagram).

Last edited by cgo; 04-21-2014 at 02:08 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the help. Today I spent a good part of the day talking to Len at Probotix. Since it is there stuff I called them. We got 1 motor running the Z axis. He got very busy and was not able to get back to me on the rest of it. I am now trying to get the Y axis working. No luck. Everything appears to be as it should and should be working. It is not.

Don