Which Wires Should Be Shielded?

Thread: Which Wires Should Be Shielded?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Which Wires Should Be Shielded?

Hi All,

I'm rebuilding my Novakon NM145 mill, swapping out the original motor and VFD for an AC induction motor and appropriate VFD. I'm moving the electronics cabinet from the back of the mill to the wall behind it which means replacing the wiring between the cabinet and the mill due to the longer run. The wiring from the C11G BOB to the VFD for analog input is shielded. I'm planning on the wiring from the VFD to the motor to be shielded and the E-stop wiring to be shielded as these were shielded in the original setup. None of the other wiring was shielded. Is there any benefit to be had from using shielded wiring in other locations such as from the BOB to the drivers, drivers to steppers, or between the BOB and proximity sensors? Thanks for any advice you have to offer.

Curt

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Krenovian; 04-16-2014 at 10:57 PM.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Which Wires Should Be Shielded?

Usually signal wires are shielded. Basically all encoder wires. Power wires can be twisted together to eliminate inductive currents.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hjl4 View Post
    Usually signal wires are shielded. Basically all encoder wires. Power wires can be twisted together to eliminate inductive currents.
    Thanks for the reply. I would consider the wires from BOB to drivers, BOB to VFD (analog input), and the proximity sensors to BOB as signal wires. I already have shielded Ethernet cable between the PC and Ethernet Smooth stepper. However the ribbon cable between the ESS and BOB is not shielded (I don't know that such a critter exists). Am I missing anything here?

Curt

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

You have it pretty much covered. I wouldn't worry about the ribbon cable. It should be fine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hjl4,
    Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Curtis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

not just sheild, keep high current wires as far apart from signal wires as poss. Sheilding is only as good as the amount you spend on it; there are cheap sheilded cables that are like a sieve and there are expensive cables with tight braid plus foil. Also consider how you terminate the screen, we still go for single end connection to avoid ground loops, however EU spec is to terminate both ends. Pro's and Con's for each.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Krenovian View Post
    However the ribbon cable between the ESS and BOB is not shielded (I don't know that such a critter exists).
    Curt
    Shielded ribbon Does exist.

Grounding shield, see ch6 http://www.automation.siemens.com/do.../emv_r.pdf?p=1
    Should be accompanied by the Equi-potential bonding.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.