Electronic lead screw (gear box), with Arduino for lathes - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electronic lead screw (gear box), with Arduino for lathes

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Electronic lead screw (gear box), with Arduino for lathes

10 PCBs have arrived from China - lots of spares. Most of the eBay ordered components have arrived, I still need to order an encoder for the spindle.
    Pulleys for the encoder spindle have been machined and I now need to make up a mount for the encoder pulley, after I clean up the mill.
    While waiting for these bits and pieces, I think I've got a handle on the software but I'm sure to have lots of questions.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello all. I have just order a board from Mr. Snowyskiesau. Wen the board gets to me I will start ordering the bits and pieces I will need. One question I have for Mr. Muck is have you gone any further with the program? I am new to Arduino. I have done cnc with g-code and I believe I am starting to understand your code. anyway I wanted to say hello and I hope you continue to contribute to this project.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MSNienke View Post
    Hello all. I have just order a board from Mr. Snowyskiesau. Wen the board gets to me I will start ordering the bits and pieces I will need. One question I have for Mr. Muck is have you gone any further with the program? I am new to Arduino. I have done cnc with g-code and I believe I am starting to understand your code. anyway I wanted to say hello and I hope you continue to contribute to this project.
    O.K. After a few years of contemplating installing an ELS I have been pushed over the edge. I have a cheep Chineese lathe that "will do threading" with change gears. I have used lathes with change gears before, my dads old Atles, annoying but managable. But this useless thing 8 imperial threads and 8 metric, I have had to invent 2 additional pitches in the past. But the big killer, no thread dial. It is not just missing it was never there? I called the manufacturer and they said no "you do not use one, you engage the half nut only once, then drive the lathe forward for the cut and then drive it in reverse back to the start and then drive forward again for the next cut." Are you joking?.....No they were not. This means that when threading into a shoulder, which most of the time I am, I end up turning the spindle by hand, forward and back-forward and back. This time - 8 pieces, 4 female, and 4 male, 2 1/4-20 specialty thread.

That is it. Ether the lathe goes or I get an ELS on it, but I am not going through this one more time. Most of what I do is one-sy two-sy or rework so the amount of overhead with full cnc is completely impractical.

So I am ready to invest. Where do I go to get an ELS? Who should I be talking to? I have an Arduino and I used one in an EDM project about a year ago but I did not use the GRBL module so that will be new.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello, geo.agun. Unfortunatly I do not believe there is anyplace to purchase this system complete. I do have a spare printed board for the project. I have just started attaching the bits ans pieces to my board, so I can not say that it is going to work. I have mostly converted the code to English, but it has not been tested yet. Pm me if you would like to talk about it more..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by geo.agun View Post
    That is it. Ether the lathe goes or I get an ELS on it, but I am not going through this one more time. Most of what I do is one-sy two-sy or rework so the amount of overhead with full cnc is completely impractical.

So I am ready to invest. Where do I go to get an ELS? Who should I be talking to? I have an Arduino and I used one in an EDM project about a year ago but I did not use the GRBL module so that will be new.
    While not an Arduino platform, here is a well researched and utilized ELS kit that has an active following: Electronic Lead Screw Main Page . See if what it offers is to your liking.There is a link to the Yahoo! discussion group, which for the last few months has had the creator toying with the idea of moving to various other embedded platforms (Beaglebone Black, Arduino, etc.)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm sorry to revive this old thread, but this is something I've been thinking about for a long time and searched for only to find very little (wrong google fu mostly.) I just now found this thread and wondered where people are with this?

I considered taking this path when I discovered the state of the change gears in my lathe, but I opted to replace the gears. How have things worked out? Any wishes or misses over the time using it?

Dear sir, Have you completed this conversion to your lathe.?
    If so, was it any good?
    I am thinking of converting my AL340A lathe, but my grasp of electronics is very poor to say the least.
    I can do most things with electrical but I am soooo confused when it comes to electronics.
    If this conversion was successful for you could I indulge upon your expertise to help me with the electronics side of things?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello
    I built this project but I have a problem with it ... The encoder on the board does not work and it does not show me the bar that is currently selected position. Is the code complete?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12