Pin Out help ?

Thread: Pin Out help ?

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Pin Out help ?

ok
    We are in the middle of several projects, but we could use some help on stepper motor wiring...basic stuff, but we are new at this.

We ended up with a used Isel engraver, and we have no schematics or written work. All we have is the table (built like a tank) and model numbers showing all three motors are steppers. There is no pin out so we are not able to tell what wire goes where. Is there some convention that would enable us to tell what wire does what?

OR

Is there some kind of quick and dirty test that we could do to determine which wire goes where?

There is a possibility that a brake is involved, and each axis also has limit swithes built in. I think we can figure those out, but how about a little help on the rest?

We are in the process of getting some info from Isel, but could use any info others might have, just in case we strike out there.

Once this is up and running, and once we start our router/plasma table, (soon as next week) we may have this engraver system up for sale. It has an engraving area of 19.5 X 21 inches and has a Proxxon variable speed engraver with it. For now, we just need something to work with while we finish the mill and start the router.

any help would be appreciated

Marc and boyz
    Oregon

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Marc I could help if it was Anaheim Automation stuff. I am going to make a guess here and suggest you count the number of leads the motors have as this is going to determine how they are wired. Some of the more electronic gurus will have to take it from here.

turmite

No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

HI
    The plug appears to be a circular plug, with 4 large in the middle
    with 11 smaller around outside. A total of 9 are used, but there
    are more wires coming from top of motor housing. Some are combined into one pin.

Isel Engraver Model 027
    Gantry III series

MOTOR (each has Inertial Dampers)
    HL2600M210001 125 oz./in. holding torque
    half step mode 4.5A/phase 40 V chopper driver

Self-locking magnetic brake to maintain carriage position when power to
    the motor is turned off or interrupted. 200 mA, 24V DC is required to
    disengage brake.

Wires associated with motor housing:
    BASE of Motor assembly
    Probably wiring from limit switches inside Z axis, has
    clip from slide, 3 wires going to small circuit board at base of motor and two readily
    apparent going to motor (one may be on other side of circuit board
    and out of sight, unable to see where they go into the motor till
    we remove the case…waiting on further disassembly

TOP of Motor assembly
    13 wires total coming from motor area to the 15 pin circular connector
    but only 9 pins are used:
    4 larger in middle (all 4 used)
    1 grounded to outside of aluminum case 5 smaller on outside used (several have multiple wires to one pin)
    (black) going to plug
    2 others (both black) appear to be coming from brake on top
    of the motor
    all others are in bundle coming out of the motor
    picture of pin out coming…I’m asleep now…

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Is this easier to sort out ?

OK
    here is a quick sketch of the general config. showing dark pins
    and clear circles as no pins.
    Hopefully, it is easier to envision....we are just not sure how
    to hook it up to a controller and the sketch should help, I hope.

Unknown pin-out
    Isel Engraver, X axis,
    Stepper motor w. brake (?)

center pins are larger, with larger wires and each has two wires
    outer pins smaller, AND smaller diam. wire, each w. one wire
    white circle = no pin (no wires)

1 White/green + white (from motor bundle)
    2 Green + yellow/white (from motor bundle)
    3 Drk grey + red/white (from motor bundle)
    Ground symbol pink + blk/white (from motor bundle)

5 black & 9 yellow - from small circuit board at base of motor. Input to board is
    3-wire clip from the carriage…possible limit switch wires? They go
    direct from board and not to the motor.

4 black & 6 black- from brake (?) at top of the motor
    7 orang/white wire from clip on alum. housing

Now any ideas ?
    thanks
    Marc and boyz

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pin Out help ?-unk-pin2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Go here:

http://209.41.165.153/stepper/Tutorials/Tutorials.htm

They explain how to identify step motors coils and such.

It is very difficult for us here to help you with just a picture of the round plug. You may need to take the motor/brake assemblies apart to futher identify which wires are motor, which are brake and which are limit switches. There may even be encoders and such in there.

If you get it broken down futher, perhaps we can be of more help.

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default wires and such

thanks for the reference.

I did sort out which was probably the brake....both black, and on top of the motor. I posted that as pins 6 & 4, in the explaination with the diagram, in an earlier post. It was all in the text, but in Amerika, we tend to go for pictures and smaller blurbs. I realized later that without the diagram, the text might not be read or not be as clear.

I also figured out which was the limit switch...I posted that as pins 5 & 9...as mentioned earlier, the other wires are going into the motor case itself or coming out of the motor case itself. This was posted with the diagram.

I was hoping that with the wires that are left over, specifically coming from the bundle associated with the motor itself, someone would be able to guide me as to any electrical convention for color code OR if there was some way I could figure out what wires did what with the ones left over. I will read the info in the url , then don rubber soled shoes, ear plugs, and rubber gloves....flipping a coin with rubber gloves is the pits!!

In gardening, you know if you screw up gradually....in electrical hobbies, you always have to plug something in, unless you can get one of your kids to plug it in or flip the switch!!

thanks for the info!

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default End of pin-out req.

Am pleased to report the end of the pin-out request.
    When I posted the picture, I posted the pins I had identified to that point, leaving only a few to figure out.

Erik gave an excellent URL with tutorial. THAT is exactly what was needed as it gave knowledge that could be used. Those tutorials are excellent, but that probably exposes the lack of knowledge I have....but that is why some of us hang out, here, right?

Finally, Isel folks answered an earlier plea. Seems they not only had to talk among themselves as to who had the infor, but they also had a virus. Not only do they have good stuff, but they are helpful.

The only pins I could not figure out are as follows (just incase anybody cared): Pin 1 Phase 2B
    Pin 2 Phase 2A
    Pin 3 Phase 1A
    one ground is Phase 1A

Thanks for the tutorials.
    I can take off the rubber boots...

Downloads
    Uploads

turmite, maybe you can help me. I have an Anaheim Automation 3 axis stepper drive. It says model # DPF77H on the front, and DPF11H on the end. What is the correct way to set the kick current? It has a pot on each axis, but they are not labeled in amps as newer units are.

Thanks, John