9x19 lathe switch connections

Thread: 9x19 lathe switch connections

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 9x19 lathe switch connections

Ok here is what I got. My lathe is now going to be comprised of the Harbor freight 9x19 motor and a lathemaster switch. The lathe itself is a Grizzly 1550(original 9x19). I previously had it wired up with Harbor freights wiring diagram. I now need to convert that wiring to the lathemaster switch.

Here's what I got.

Lathemaster wiring diagram

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and the Harbor Freight Diagram

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I think I might have it figured out.

From my plug(blk and wht wires) the blk wire will go to terminal #6 and the white to terminal #2

From the motor the #1 wire (v1) will go to #5 on the switch
    #2 wire will goto cap and then to #7 on switch
    #3 will goto #8 on switch
    #4 wire will goto #4 on switch

Hopefully

Anyway if anyone can make sense of my mess and maybe tell me if I am going to nuke my lathe that would be great !!!!

It is also possible the motor is already burnt out but I am not sure. The switch I am sure went bad as it felt funny as I switched on the last time it ran and there was a wire melted into the switch.

So anyway any help is appreciated before I plug this thing in.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I should also mention on the Lathe master switch there are 6 connections on each side numbered like this

3 4 8 7
    1 2 6 5
    C C C C

When I tested for cont this is what I get

Forward 7,3,4 and 2 have cont and then the two lower C connections on one side get cont

Reverse 3,7,6, and 8 have cont and the two lower C's on this side have cont.

Downloads
    Uploads
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Found this one Al, I think this guy has the same switch and motor as me.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...or_wiring.html

I decided to wire like he has his in his #6 post.

I will be powering it up in just a few minutes

Drum Roll please !!!!!!!!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK Held my breath and plugged it in, hit the switch and purred like a kitty!!!!

But no reverse

So I have it the way Cobra wired his like this

Wires-------Switch

L1-------------1
    L2-------------3
    U1-------------2
    Z2-------------8
    V2-------------6
    Z1-------------4

And upon further investigation, I now need to find a pic of the cover off a HF 3/4 9x 20 lathe motor as it might be wired wrong at the motor. Even though I had reverse before.

Downloads
    Uploads

Notice in the Harbour Freight diagram, it is only Z1 & Z2 being reversed for fwd/rev.
    These must be the start winding.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah I got to unbolt the lathe from the bench so I can turn it around and look at the motor wiring. I tell ya, I was really impressed when I turned it on, having the right cap makes a world of difference.

To be honest I never used reverse period until I seen a guy threading on the 9x20 and he would run it forward and cut and then back the tool out and reverse. Just got to figure out which is which in the motor wire box.

Also back when I first got the motor I don't remember what I did in that wiring box, so I might have it all messed up not sure yet until I unbolt it which will be later tonite. And Cobra's motor was 1hp mine is 3/4 so not exactly the same.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok can see my motor wiring now and I also switched them to correct spots on the switch and as I suspected same result no reverse.

I am pretty sure I did something at the motor years ago, like removed one of the connecting bars for some reason, probably thought it was wired for 220v

Ok so I have 6 screw connections

the #1 wire is connected to u2 (connecting bar v2)

#2 wire is connected to Z1

#3 wire is connected to U1 (connecting bar V1)

#4 wire is connected to Z2

Having a brain freeze so I am gonna take a break if any one else can figure this out THANX!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok after studying the schematic a lil more I have determined the motor wiring is correct.

I am now back at the switch and I am stumped. Here is one problem on HF's(motor) diagram the cap is on Z1 wire. But on Lathemasters diagram(switch) its on the v2 so its opposite of HF's.

Maybe just try Lathemasters wiring diagram and wire it the way they have it ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is what puzzles me on the lathe master switch

3 4 8 7
    1 2 6 5
    C C C C

When I tested for cont this is what I get

Forward 7,3,4 and 2 have cont and then the two lower C connections on one side get cont

Reverse 3,7,6, and 8 have cont and the two lower C's on this side have cont.

I believe I am not using the c's at all for the switch I think they are there if ya want to add a light or something like that.

So the puzzling part is 5 and 1 which are connected to each other but go no where else, is this right? or maybe I should test the switch again for cont. ?

Last edited by ZipSnipe; 02-27-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I officially give up. Thought I had it figured out this morning after breakfast and cup of coffee but no go. So I wired it back up Cobra's way which works forward only and giving up on reverse.

I think maybe the HF motor and LatheMaster switch just aren't that compatible.

So anyone else out there who needs a switch or motor for their 9x20 lathe get it from the same vendor or if your buying a lets say Harbor Freight motor for your Grizzly then buy the switch and cap also from Harbor Freight and vice versa !!!!!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 9x19 lathe switch connections

Hello,

Not sure if this ever got solved but I ran into a similar problem and I thought I share my solution in case it can help someone else. I have a 2004 HF/Central Machinery 9x20 Lathe (Model 45861).

I added the color coding as it is present on my model to the diagram from the manual, see image below.

I believe there is an error in the manual where at the bottom right wiring diagram for the switch motor wire V2 is falsely labeled as V1 (I don't have a V1 designated wire on my lathe, only a wire with a tag that reads "V2"). As such I crossed out "V1" and added "V2" in my version.

One thing I didn't see mentioned anywhere was the secondary wire connectors on both, the black and the white A/C cable (labeled R and S), I added pictures of each of them to the diagram to make it clear what I am talking about. Maybe these are not present in other versions of this lathe but mine sure has them and it threw me for a loop in the beginning.

This fixed it for me but use this at your own risk, I'm not responsible for any damage to your machine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 9x19 lathe switch connections

Sorry it has taken soo long to reply but I did get it working but have no clue how I did it. The strange thing is that I cannot get it to run at its highest speed, won't even turn the motor. SO I am assuming that the motor needs some type of start cap for it but I have no clue how to do it, it works fine for what I need