110 single phase to 220 single phase.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 110 single phase to 220 single phase.

Nono

Default 110 single phase to 220 single phase.

I am not sure how to ask but here I go...... I need to wire a 220v motor up and am not sure how to do it, the service into my house is 110v. A dryer uses 220 I thought (the plug that I am using) but that is two 110 legs a neutral and a ground not true 220v or is it?.The motor that I have only has three wires so would I wire the black and the red to the black, neutral to neutral and ground to ground. Any constructive information would be helpfull.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

The power to your house is 220 volt off a "center tapped transformer". That is, one hot leg is 110 volt to nuetral in the center. The other hot leg is 110 volt to nuetral in the center. And there's 220 volt between the two hot legs.

Going by colors don't always work, but in general, one hot wire is normaly black, the other hot is red, the nuetral is white, and ground is green. A cheap multimeter to check voltages would help you out.

Karl

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your motor is 220 single phase, so it only uses the two hots and the ground, NOT a neutral. Most motors can be rewired for 110 but will draw twice the current which can be too much for residential wiring, but if it's low horsepower then it might be easier in the end to rewire it rather than plugging into the dryer each time.

CP

Downloads
    Uploads

To add to the confusion - many times in residential and some commercial service, the neutral and the ground are the same potential.

To get 220, use the two 110 legs (which are likely around 117 each) and ground, as cp8071 said.

Scott

Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Downloads
    Uploads

If your motor has 3 wires comming out and one of them is not green, it is possible that you have a 3 phase motor.
    often times the ground connection is not a wire, but instead a screw terminal.
    There should be a name plate on the motor or machine somewhere.
    On that nameplate there should a listing for volts, (110 or 220), frequency or Hz (50 or 60) and Phase or Ph (1 or 3), Horsepower or HP.
    Let us know what that nameplate says or post a picture of it if you can.

Jeff

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Nono

So am I to understand that the three wires that come off this switch are two hots and a ground. the wires are black white and green.. There isn't any wiring diagram for it. I can put in another outlet for it. How would I wire the outlet? I am thinking that an older 3 prong 220v dryer plug would sufice...

the motor has five wires where it wires up to the switch and the switch itself has only three wires

Last edited by Nono; 06-01-2005 at 12:12 PM. Reason: switch not motor

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you sure this is not a three phase motor?

Scott

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

...as others have hinted...we need more info.

What kind of motor is this? What is it's purpose (original and also how you intend to use)? How do you know it's 220 if there is no info on it?

If this is a euro hairdryer/blender/toothbrush then that's one thing ... if it's an industrial motor that's 20 horsepower then the answer will be completely differrent.

So give up the info/pictures if you want the right answer.
    CP

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe this will help????

Scott

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 110 single phase to 220 single phase.-220vsingle-jpg  

Nono

Sorry for the wait But this is a an industrial hobbies mill and it is single phase

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 110 single phase to 220 single phase.-switch-jpg  
    Last edited by Nono; 06-01-2005 at 12:25 PM. Reason: attachments

Nono

another

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 110 single phase to 220 single phase.-motor-cover-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Excellent!!!

Yes, It's a single phase 220V motor (hard to read, looks like "22nV"). You'll notice on the wiring diagram that they label the incoming power as L1 and L3 ... those are your two hots (however they are colored). No neutral is needed, only a ground.

Now you just have to figure out how you're going to plug it into anything. The dryer plug is a good place to start, but if you create an "extension/adapter cord" you need to be very careful since that smaller gauge wire will fry before it trips that 30-50Amp breaker designed for the dryer. Adding a new 15-20 Amp 220V circuit would be better. You'll also notice that it's hard to find a standard plug for this type circuit since it's outdated and only used for specific (high-current) things now.

edit: Forgot to add, the diagram on the motor shows the connections for forward and reverse rotation ... if you look at that diagram and the other you'll see how the reversing switch works by changing the starting circuit between the two legs.

CP

Downloads
    Uploads

My best guess here is you got a 110 volt motor. Cut an old extension cord up. Put the hot on the black, the nuetral on the white and the ground on green. Plug the cord in and test the motor. Bet it fires right up. Let us know.

Karl

Downloads
    Uploads

At 8.5amps 1.5hp on single phase I would expect that to be 220, on 110 the current would be higher. You can provide a 220 plug by running a 14gx2 with ground to your panel and put in a double 220v breaker, the 15 amp sockets you can buy have the pins horizontal instead of vertical like the 120v type.
    Is the capacitor supplied with the motor, or is it on the outside somewhere?
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with Al.
    The HP, watts and Amps indicate 220V.
    I think that the 22nV is really just a poorly placed"0" as in 220V.
    The 14g wire and plug with 2 flat contacts will be fine.

Jeff

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Downloads
    Uploads

The zero was a little slanted and only partially imprinted. I think this horse is dead.

Nono

Is the capacitor supplied with the motor, or is it on the outside somewhere?
    Yup its on the outside of the motor.
    I went to home depot on the way home and bought a 4 prong dryer plug,double gang box, 4 prong recepticle and enough wire to relocate the outlet from the circuit panel will relocte the outlet in the next day or so. I am not sure about wiring it to the switch. I have some waterproof flex conduit to run from the machine to the ceiling where I think I am going to put the outlet.. I will come back with photos when I get that far. All of you guys are great.

Nono

Al
    Here is the switch, one black on top one white on bottom and a green straight to the head. Can I run two hot legs to the top and a neutral to the bottom and ground to the head?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 110 single phase to 220 single phase.-switch-jpg  
    Last edited by Nono; 06-03-2005 at 10:55 PM. Reason: misspell

Downloads
    Uploads

Where is the white & black coming from? To reverse the motor there should be at least 3 wires coming from the motor and possibly four. The motor leads have to be identified first. The diagram on the plate I assume is just the switch?
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Nono

I will get a Picture of the othe side

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast