Help - Looking for a mill/drill in Canada

Thread: Help - Looking for a mill/drill in Canada

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help - Looking for a mill/drill in Canada

Hi all,

I am new to all this machining and am looking to get into it for hobby/learning purposes. I'll be milling plastics 95% of the time. Max source/material size is probably gonna be about 4x4". Every now and then, I may use alum as well. My budget is around a thousand. I have a few problems/questions:

1. I am looking at the Craftex CT129N from Busy Bee. Is this a decent machine for my purposes?

2. What else is available or an option within Canada? I can't order out of the states because of high shipping costs, duty, etc. I saw the X2-like machine at Princess Auto too.

3. Can't seem to find a source for machines anywhere in Edmonton, Alberta other than Busy Bee or Princess Auto. Does anyone know of some other places/dealers?

Thanks,
    ~Lane

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OMG... just swung by Princess Auto and BusyBee Tools to see the Mill/Drill machines in person. I first stopped by BusyBee and the CT129N is a pretty nice machine. A lot smaller than I thought, but still a sturdy and capable looking machine. The guy working there was knowledgeable as well.

Then I stopped by Princess Auto... what a shi!t-hole, selling what appears to be "disposable tools". They are like dollar store quality for retail pricing. The Mill/Drill they sell is JUNK, made out of tin, rusted and the dials turn 6-10mm before they even engage the table. The markers are literally tin and are not even cut straight or align properly. They want a THOUSAND DOLLARS for that!!! (http://www.princessauto.com/shop-gar...illing-machine)

I wouldn't even buy a hammer from Princess Auto man. Anyway, just thought I would share my window shopping experience.

Downloads
    Uploads

all of that stuff originates from the same factories

the mill from princess is the x2 mill which is the same as the craftex that busybee has on for $699 http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=CT133, difference on the price tag is $300 and a different can of paint , they are a toy in comparison to a bridgeport but surprising in the size of cut that they can handle for what they are , I picked up the craftex a while back for a laugh and it's actually impressed me with it's capabilities

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Note to self then... "stay away from the X2". The one at Princess Auto was so bad (three of them out), that I couldn't even get the table moving. Lifting the rubber protective cover revealed a LOT of rust. When it did break free and start moving, it was obvious that it was junk. There is no way they are the same as the Craftex. I saw them both and they were night/day difference in quality... literally. Maybe the same size, but nowhere near the same quality.

Downloads
    Uploads

I assure you its the same machine as the craftex , but I'll agree that it seems that the mills at the princess auto here are abused as well

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

The ct129n is bigger than the x2. It weighs close to 300lbs. It's somewhat smaller than an x3. It's a decent machine.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's an even bigger machine for the same cost.

https://www.machinetoolswarehouse.co...cat=253&page=1