Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY CNC magazine

Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb DIY CNC magazine

Hi all,

Here is something that has been on my mind on and off even before I became a member of the zone. I get a lot of great information from the internet and the forums I have joined but many of the people I know wouldn’t think of joining a forum or even use the net for general reading or research. If I tell them about something I read on the net they usually say “print it out for me”. The things I read on the zone are not generally available anywhere else. Most other subjects I’m interested in have magazines that expose me to new ideas and run features on stuff so I can stay informed. I have noticed this forum is making a slow transition from forum to forum/e-zine. So why doesn’t someone with more ambition than me start a print magazine for the subjects covered here? It’s pretty easy to see where the interest is just by looking at the posts and views. The two could feed off of each other. It wouldn’t have to be a fancy high gloss mag to start with; I think there is a market for something like this.

What about it?
    Gary

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

I love the idea, we could if we can get a paid subscription going to do a news flyer mailed out once a month, or maybe a magazine if we can get enough writters. I trying to get people to fill this section up- http://cnczone.com/modules.php?name=Sections

Thank You,
    Paul G
    Site Owner-Webmaster-
    Administrator
    www.rfqwork.com
    www.cnczone.com
    www.weldersforums.com
    Check out the new http://cnc-routerzone.com website!

Downloads
    Uploads

A news flyer would be a great start. Put me down as the first subscriber. I may even write some stuff if someone would edit it.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Gary, what kind of pub did you have in mind? Something informal that could be run off a home computer and laser/ink-jet or a slick that requires real printing? The first can be (mostly) subscriber supported the second *requires* advertising sales.
    I edited and published "The Robot Builder" a monthly newsletter for some 3 years. The biggest single cost item was postage because we didn't have (quite) the distribution to get bulk rate from the USPS . If we had, then the biggest cost would have been printing.
    The biggest all around headache was content - I wound up writing a lot more than I ever intended to just for filler. I think many months of content could be gleened from the 'zone archives although it would need a serious amount of rewrite to make articles suitable for publication. And then there is the question of graphics - a picture really is worth a thousand words.

robotic regards,

Tom
    = = = = =
    “Speaker Newt Gingrich says that what is wrong with the present system is not that people abuse welfare but that welfare abuses people.”

-- Daniel Schorr, American journalist & news analyst,

Downloads
    Uploads

I think a monthly newletter would be a great idea. To cover postage, make it available to those with yearly donations of $30 or more. I won't mind writing a article every 3 months.

As a example of such a magazine, see the lower link.
    http://liwoodworkers.org/media/newsl...tterjuly04.PDF

That brings me to another question, why can't we have a video section where one can watch a short video about a particular subject.

check out the link below and when you open the page, scroll down to where the video section is.
    http://liwoodworkers.org/media/video/onlinelibrary.asp

Last edited by Patrick2by4; 08-31-2004 at 04:41 PM.
    -Patrick

measure twice, cut once - a good rule for everything

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2by4
    I think a monthly newletter would be a great idea. To cover postage, make it available to those with yearly donations of $30 or more. I won't mind writing a article every 3 months.

As a example of such a magazine, see the lower link.
    http://liwoodworkers.org/media/newsl...tterjuly04.PDF

That brings me to another question, why can't we have a video section where one can watch a short video about a particular subject.

Great Idea, BTW I can use the post gallery for uploading videos, that would only be availble to gold members do to the added cost of doing it.

Thank You,
    Paul G
    Site Owner-Webmaster-
    Administrator
    www.rfqwork.com
    www.cnczone.com
    www.weldersforums.com
    Check out the new http://cnc-routerzone.com website!

Downloads
    Uploads

What I mean is a section call 'Video Section' or rename the 'Photo Gallery' to 'Photo/Video Gallery'. This way it is more intuitive and more members know that this is a option. Just a thought.

-Patrick

Downloads
    Uploads

Tom,
    I really have no plans, I’m only pointing out a hole that I wish someone would fill. I read a lot of books and periodicals, maybe to many. There is almost nothing on DIY CNC at the book stores and news stands. Our area big box book store has over a dozen books on robots, if I use that as a measure of interest, and your news letter couldn’t grow than maybe I have an inflated view of how well my idea would work. I have no experience in this area other than consumer.
    Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe we could call it " Popular CNC" to add to the others "Popular Science" and "Popular Mechanics"

The only way it would work is by getting 2000 subscriptions and having someone employed full time at it. You wouldnt be able to depend on voluntry contributions to the mag. The mag would need to be subsidised by advertising.

If the Mag came out with a CD it could have all the popular sites on it along with video etc.

Good luck to whoever descides to take up the challenge.

Being outside the square !!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Duluthboat,
    I think you really are on to something. I noticed that there really isn't much on DIY CNC on the newstands (Home machinist sometimes has a simple article). A newsletter with maybe a few articles discussing a few points would be enough (maybe 6 pages to start). Every month, maybe three articles can be written on a particular subject and submitted to the newsletter. I think overtime, the articles will cover a wealth of information.
    There is no need to start big, make it a digital newsletter with hardcopies mailed to contributers of a certain amount or just keep it digital for simplicity. I think this would be manageable.

I made a sample newsletter, check it out and tell me what you think.

Attached Files Attached Files
    -Patrick

Downloads
    Uploads

He he very funny quote from your document "Editor in Chief – Wallcrawler"
    Is that why there are so many X's in your document?

Being outside the square !!!

Downloads
    Uploads

LOL!!! Go Patrick go.

Gary

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast