trouble making motors move in emc2

Thread: trouble making motors move in emc2

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy trouble making motors move in emc2

hello all im new to cnc but managed to get my homemade 3 axis mill going with mach 3 but no money for a license so I opted to learn emc2. everything works in mach but cant get anything in emc2. I have the docs that came with my motors and my control board and I used the internal software for config. I used the same pin config as in mach but nothing please someone with a kind heart and patience respond and I will send what I have in the hopes of getting to make some cuts under Linux soon.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: trouble making motors move in emc2

Theres a few settings in linuxcnc you will have to manually change, maybe that is why its not running.

First what is the parts you are using and will probably need either screen shots or settings in mach3 to match them to linuxcnc. (ports and pins, motor tuning pages)
    Also what version of linuxcnc and did it install completely/correctly on the pc your using.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

here are the mach settings that work

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trouble making motors move in emc2-set-1-png   trouble making motors move in emc2-set-2-png   trouble making motors move in emc2-set-3-png   trouble making motors move in emc2-set-4-png  

trouble making motors move in emc2-set-5-png  
    Last edited by rogerreed2003; 07-22-2014 at 09:15 PM. Reason: add images

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am using ubantu 10.04 it is the newest version available. it did install correctly it runs ,spots problems in code everything just the motors don't move. the leds on the board that show the axis is running light brightly using mach but very dimly in emc2. the proper led does light during test using the program software and the speed of it blinking corresponds with the speed changes so im pretty sure all the step pins and direction pins are correct. I think it has something to do with whatever pins 10 11 12 do I have tried lots of different ideas all to no avail;. if someone can just tell me what the rest of the pins do I will get it going .also the motor timing they want is in nano secs I got a calculator for the timing but it gives the answer as Minimum Time/Step (miliseconds) 3.13
    so im gonna have to try to google that one lol. anyway I look forward to finding some answers soon.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe a picture and part number of the break out board would help.

Not sure how it worked in mach. Ive circled settings that dont look right.
    You have 1 for this output pin but its probably 6 in "motor output pins" (any unused pin from 2-9, 1 , 14 , 16 , 17 could be the right pin)
    trouble making motors move in emc2-set-4-png

In this picture these should normally all be "pin number" 1 "output signals" (pin 1 is usually reserved for enable, but not always)
    Where did you get these settings from would be a better question ?
    trouble making motors move in emc2-set-5-png

Pins 10,11,12 are input pins and you have them enabled in mach for limit switches.
    Leaving a pin unassigned doesnt hurt anything , it just will not do anything.
    If you do use an input pin like these for end stops you will need them wired in and working or the machine will not run.

In linuxcnc goto ->

home/linuxcnc/configs
    In here you will see the file you created when you ran stepconf, look for in that folder, a file called .hal
    edit the line towards the top of the file.

setp parport.0.reset-time 3500

If you use stepconf on this setup anytime after changing this, it will reset the number above back to an unrealistic 100 again, you will have to edit it again btw.

Last edited by cgo; 07-23-2014 at 09:50 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

all of those settings are righty out of the manual that came with the driver board and they do indeed work that pin 1 is an step pin for the x axis I don't have any switches in mach not even a mushroom e stop but my setup is really small and I never leave it while running and my mouse is always poised over the reset button onscreen. I have an even stranger situation now,i have all axes running though the calibration is way off and they aren't near as fast as in mach but one thing at a time when I go to test each axis via the config software only one axis works (the y ) they all worked at one point but then they didn't work with the program running. weird huh ? I will try to remember to write down what all the pins were maby I got something still wrong but the step and directions are all the same as in mach and all are working though at about 1/2 the speed and the distance traveled is wrong. I looked up the step time it wanted and the number is larger than it allows not sure why

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Was thinking you had something to setup mach after I typed that, all those setting could take a long time to figure out.

There is a few settings in linuxcnc you will have to edit manually, the one I already posted is a very important one.
    The (your folder name).hal file is one of them you can not set through the stepconf.
    You machine may not even run in stepconf or in axis / or run right, until you change this value.

Your endstops pins 10,11,12 and estop pin 13 are all set to active low in mach, which means they need to be connected to ground (low) if its working right.
    Mach will flash the estop light and end stop lights on the diagnostics page if the switch(s) are opened or not connected to ground.
    (This is the way my machine acts with "active low" checked)

In axis there is a slider at the bottom left for jog speed and feed override if that is whats going on ?

If its not moving the right distance, then that would be settings you put in stepconf which are more detailed than mach.
    If you are having trouble with this you will need to post your mach settings.