What CAM software type do I *really* need?

Thread: What CAM software type do I *really* need?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default What CAM software type do I *really* need?

I am just starting the process of getting into CNC as a hobby and have been looking into something that will convert SolidWorks drawing into gcode. I will be doing 3 axis milling (Homemade mill conversion). I don't ever expect to be doing any sort of production work, this will be hobby only so cost is a factor as well.

Do I need a program that will handle 3D milling? Do I need to export in STL or DXF?

I guess I am just looking for suggestions on a product that will get me started.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What CAM software type do I *really* need?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I use Cam Bam, which is a little difficult to learn, but once you do... it is very dependable, and also has the feature, where you can leave "tabs" around your part, so it holds it in place while cutting. This keeps your part from moving during the end of cutting it out of a solid. As well the program will also allow you to draw and machine simple moves, direct in the program.

I draw 2D profiles in SW's, then save then save or export them as .dxf and being aware of where 0,0,0 is... and then use Cam Bam to create the Gcode. Which I take to the machine and run.

Saves a lot of time, and I can do a whole group of parts, all at my deck, then go to the machine... and run them. Having blueprints in hand, with a list of what GCode is for what portion of the machining.

You may have three operations on a single part, with different tools. So you can go about it methodically... and save some time.

Anyway, the cost for Cam Bam is less than $200 dollars and well worth it. It has features more expensive, fancier CAM software do not have... I really like it.

Have fun....

GOLDCNC5, BLUECNC4, GreenCNC3, RedCNC2L, SilverCNC2; CNC Software!
    www.truemachineautomation.com - ETL UL508A CSA CERTIFIED INDUSTRIAL CONTROL PANEL SHOP

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jeffserv View Post
    I use Cam Bam, which is a little difficult to learn, but once you do... it is very dependable, and also has the feature, where you can leave "tabs" around your part, so it holds it in place while cutting. This keeps your part from moving during the end of cutting it out of a solid. As well the program will also allow you to draw and machine simple moves, direct in the program.

I draw 2D profiles in SW's, then save then save or export them as .dxf and being aware of where 0,0,0 is... and then use Cam Bam to create the Gcode. Which I take to the machine and run.

Saves a lot of time, and I can do a whole group of parts, all at my deck, then go to the machine... and run them. Having blueprints in hand, with a list of what GCode is for what portion of the machining.

You may have three operations on a single part, with different tools. So you can go about it methodically... and save some time.

Anyway, the cost for Cam Bam is less than $200 dollars and well worth it. It has features more expensive, fancier CAM software do not have... I really like it.

Have fun....
    I have noticed your product BLUECNC4 and am wondering why you didn't mention it?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Seems I can not edit my post it's greyed out, but what I meant was do you use your product BLUECNC4 with CamBam.

Greetings,

BlueCNC4 is our Program for Motion Control on the Machine, and yes I use Cam Bam to create the Gcode.

BlueCNC4 is Motion Control for the Machine, like "Mach 3" or others.

CamBam is used to turn your drawings into Gcode... Gcode is used to run your machine.

Hope that helps!

www.truemachineautomation.com - ETL UL508A CSA CERTIFIED INDUSTRIAL CONTROL PANEL SHOP

Monkeywrench Technician DareBee's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

HSMexpress is free

www.integratedmechanical.ca

Greetings,

This is my opinion only. So don't be offended.

I don't use Solid Works. The last company I worked for... used it, and I used it while there. The newest version, up to date. Solid Works is not free... except maybe for a student version... so for a small shop... may not be affordable. Thus the free, addon to SolidWorks... may not apply in every case.

We had very complicated assemblies, and complete machines. What I found, is it is easy with Solid Works, to entirely "blow up" your assembly. Then the time and effort to re-build it all... and get back to where it was correct... was to me a terrible situation. In one case, we never got he complete machine back. Only some assemblies.

I have used Alibre Design Expert, and it does 99% of everything that Solid Works does, but way less complicated to do and manage. I know people believe in the bigger companies... OK, go ahead. Spend the money.

My arguement for using not so expensive software is this, we are truely in business to make money. And expenses are expenses, not profits.

For the work, and machines we built, we could have saved 10's of thousands, by staying with the easier to use Alibre Software... and here is my major example.

When all done, Alibre or Solid Works... the drawing is converted to "PDF", and sent to the supplier, or sub-contractor,... or internal customer at our facility... as a "PDF" Document.... not SW or AD... but a simple "PDF" file. And both documents look exactly the same. "Exactly the same..." Same template created for all the tolerances and so forth. And for way less.

Alibre also will export a Solid Works file, if your supplier wants a copy of the part to review. Most our suppliers had Solid Works... they were not small shops. So Alibre could export whatever you needed. And in the end... the supplier saw nothing different.
    __________________________________________________ ____

Alibre once had a partnership with MeshCam I believe it was... , and that worked great with Alibre... but the support for it, and the cost for it, if you wanted it to be real. Again, priced to much for a small shop.

So that solution went away... for most people. As well, it did not have a lot of the features, as an add-on. I wonder if he HSMexpress... named "express" will have all the advanced features?

This HSMexpress... may be the same, in that it may only, "for free"; give you some of the features... but maybe for a hobbiest, it may be fine.

OK, that is my two cents, I don't really have money to burn, on "what".... a lot of fluff... Solid Works in the heat of the battle... for me did not come through. Where as Alibre never did give me those type of troubles. I have Solid Works on my computer, left there by my former Employer... in case I need it, I could use it. I don't use it, I deleted the Icon. I only leave it, in case that customer of mine, may need me to work on one of there files.

So if you go with something that requires a major software package to operate... then it may be that you will be "cementing" yourself into a corner. I would rather have a separate solutions, that is independant of the CAD software I use... then the two licensing issues of both softwares will never get confused. This also can lead to problems, when you upgrade one, and then the CAM software is not updated yet... happened to me, and then you have no CAM solution, because the "Free" CAM provider, can't afford to keep up. It's Free! Or they update it last of all... maybe a year later.

Just because it is Free, does not mean that is the path you should go down. It may later lead to un-foreseen problems, that can be costly for your company.
    Just because it is the biggest on the block, does not mean you should go with that either, so there are other CAD providers out there, and don't assume because it is the biggest, it is the best.

My personal experience, is SW is way to complicated, to do simple things. File management in SW is also way to complicated. File associations, assemblies to drawings to parts, is also way to complicated.

I resently advised a company, who consulted wth me,... not to buy Solid Works... these are a few of the reasons. It comes on board, claiming to be the best, and when the rubber meets the road, they want to charge you for tech. support... to "help you", get it to work right. That is not free... and a small shop probally will not be able to afford that either. So they are left with a solution, that does not quite work. If you cannot afford the training and technical support... then you may have to struggle for a while, till you figure out how to use the software.

I picked up Alibre Design, leaving AutoCad behind forever, and in my first 16 hours, mocked up a complete packaging line concept I was working on, and sent to my customer... now that is awesome. With SW I don't believe I could have done that.

OK, that is my Rant for the day.... Good luck, you my need it!

There will always be Ford, Chevy, and Dodge owners... thus with the CAD CAM world... there are options, and some options may be better, for your bottom line.

Food for thought...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    HSMexpress is free
    HSMExpress is not an option. The SolidWorks computer is not allowed to load software.

This is really getting away from the thrust of the question, possibly because (as my wife tells me) apparently I am not the best communicator, will a 2(.5?)D solution serve my needs or is 3D the way to go?

Generally I am looking, at this point to do some simple hobby-type brackets. Generally to get my feet wet with CNC.

Downloads
    Uploads

Without knowing exactly what you want to do, it's hard to say, but I would guess that 2.5D would be fine.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)