What CADCAM software to look at?

Thread: What CADCAM software to look at?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default What CADCAM software to look at?

I have a small engineering company and we do consulting work and design products for other companies.

We currently use our 3D printer for a lot of our work, but purchased a Zenbot CNC router a year ago to do larger prototype parts from Foam or wax and then use these cnc parts to make molds and cast samples parts.

We have used 3DCut for our CADCAM software and are looking for something better. Currently we we a rough cut with a 1/4" end mill and then use a 1/8" bit for the finish cut. We still have need for fine detail work with a 1/16" finish bit but can't really do this with 3DCut.

What package would you recommend we look at for more flexibility to use with our CNC Router.

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

start with artcam express for 150..

all 2d and 2.5 D toolpathing, make engraving with V bits, import 3d models... makes some photo conversion.. likely photo engraving, vcarving..

next step could be visualmill, that works well with rhino if you were engineering company..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks

I probably should have also said we primarily use Solidworks and some Pro/E for our modeling work.

Downloads
    Uploads

for solidworks autodesk has some free cam.. hsmworks..
    then visualmill...

all other program costing very high..

im not sure what format can be exported from pro/e...
    from solidworks beside stl I think you can export obj formats.. or dxf..
    they will be faceted triangulated models..

since your router has only 3 axis then ac expres already sufficient..

if you like to work with solids, then visualmill or bobcad what works with solids..
    again, they are the lowest cost cam for your soliworks..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What CADCAM software to look at?

What is this 2.5D? I have heard of 2D and 3D? Can someone explain

Here to learn, share and stay.

Downloads
    Uploads

As Victor points out above, the file formats that your software will export are a limiting factor. Fortunately, VisualMill has a plug-in for Solidworks that allows you to work with your native files without having to export, since all the CAM functionality is available within the Solidworks workspace. It has strong 2.5D as well as 3D capabilities. 2.5D is all most milling operations done by machinists requires; it involves cutting areas like slots, holes, pockets, and profiles around an area that are all on the same level, like a series of plateaus. 3D operations make parts that are contoured, with smooth hills and valleys produced by moving the Z axis along with X and/or Y,, while 2D operations are basically surface engravings at a fixed depth. 2.5D operations are in the middle, making parts that have flat areas at various different levels. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have more questions about VisualMill for Solidworks, since we're authorized Mecsoft distributors.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you. I got it. Contoured surfaces actually mean 3D. In a 3 axis machine, using CAM is 3D machining possible? Do they meet the quality standards expected in 3D machining? Generally speaking why do people invest in 4 axis, 5 axis machines if 3D machining is possible with 3 axis machines? What advantages apart from reducing the number of setups?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do CAM softwares accurately predict the actual machining time for a job to help us quote accurately ??

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by acejunker View Post
    Do CAM softwares accurately predict the actual machining time for a job to help us quote accurately ??
    Yes well if you sent up the template for the machine

Thank you. I got it. Contoured surfaces actually mean 3D. In a 3 axis machine, using CAM is 3D machining possible? Do they meet the quality standards expected in 3D machining? Generally speaking why do people invest in 4 axis, 5 axis machines if 3D machining is possible with 3 axis machines? What advantages apart from reducing the number of setups?
    Numbers of setups and Accuracy. Less human error

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you. I got it. Contoured surfaces actually mean 3D. In a 3 axis machine, using CAM is 3D machining possible?

[Certainly, as long as the Z axis and another axis can operate at the same time.]

Do they meet the quality standards expected in 3D machining?

[What quality standards are those? Each different job will have different tolerances.]

Generally speaking why do people invest in 4 axis, 5 axis machines if 3D machining is possible with 3 axis machines? What advantages apart from reducing the number of setups?
    [Different configurations become possible. When you add a 4th axis, such as a rotary table and tailstock, you can make parts in the round rather than reliefs, and do things that aren't possible even with innumerable refixturings. When you add a 5th axis, undercuts become possible, as well as smooth cutting at odd angles.]

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What are the features in a CAM/CAD that separates the men from boys.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My 2 cents I use ezcam daily the selling point for me was the customer service is outstanding. One instance I wanted my post processor formatted a little different. I emailed it ate my lunch and it was in my email by the end of lunch. So atleast look at what they got some of the big guys might have you waiting awhile for something like that.