Emachine shop type CAD software?

Thread: Emachine shop type CAD software?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Emachine shop type CAD software?

I have made well over a dozen parts in EMachine shops software, and had them make them. Talk about expensive though. Decided it is best to have my own CNC for prototyping, it is just cheaper. So I am on the hunt for a replacement that I can use with some cam offering that is TBD. Going to try importing one of my parts into Meshcam tonight and see what happens there.

Most of my parts are technically 2.5D not actual 3D. Thus, is there anything on the market that is close to that in terms of simplicity of their CAD designer? I have Viacad as well and I like it, but I keep going back to emachine shops. I find it quite simple and effective to work in 2D to make a 3D object even though most of it only required 2.5 CAM.

As far as I can tell the VCarve Pro seems a reasonable selection, I suppose I can add in cut3D later if I have to have a 3D part. I used Caligari's Truspace for about a year, I am not afraid of 3D designers but I also see without a doubt there is no need for that complexity for prototyping/hobby use when doing 2.5D stuff is all.

Any other CAD offering I should look at with a simple effective 2D type interface?

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by NewHobby; 11-25-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd like to see an example of what you wish to cut. It sounds like you are looking for basic 2d profiling, pocketing and drilling type routines if you're looking at VCarve. If that's the case, Meshcam is not going to be your cup of tea as it's meant for 3d type toolpaths on STL meshes. It's a great application, but does not sound like a match for what you are doing.

You should have a look at EstlCAM. I think it will provide what you want for the CAM side. You just need to save 2d drawings as R12 DXF files to open them in EstlCAM. For CAD, I don't think you'll get much easier than Viacad, but Turbocad might be the most similar to Emachine. I haven't tried it, but perhaps DraftIt will also be similar. You have to buy the "Pro" version to export anything useful in DraftIt, which costs around $150. IMO, you're best off using Viacad and getting used to how it works.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sure here is a few. Pretty typical for me, mostly mechanical stuff no art stuff so the organic curves are few and far between.

I just discovered the bit about mesh cam being optimal for 3D and CamBam being a better choice for 2 and 2.5D which is what I am after 99% of the time. I'll look at Turbo Cad too for giggles. I like Via Cad alright, just have to make the switch as you say. Apparently Vaicad and CAmBAm works well also. That dang emachine shop is so easy after 2 years on it. Going to check out Estlcam as well, thanks so much!

Options at this point are Viacad in 2D using Cambam and CutViewer to visualize or just use Vcarve Pro which does ll three of those.
    I don't mind spending $600 I just don't want to spend $2000. Trying to not overbuy and have difficult software with 2/3 of it that I will never use.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emachine shop type CAD software?-img0023uj-jpg  
    Last edited by NewHobby; 11-25-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Vcarve Pro is really more of a woodworking software. It's one of the few that has focused more on that end of the spectrum and if you're into V-carving, it's hard to do better. While it can do other things, it's far from the best tool for the job in metals in my opinion. I'm very familiar with it (may be teaching it in a few weeks), but I'd never recommend it for the examples you're showing.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great feedback, thanks. May just stick with Viacad and find a CAM solution. Looking at CamBam currently.

Downloads
    Uploads

While V-Carve Pro may be aimed at woodworkers, I'd say that it's 2D tools shouldn't differ much from CamBam's. But if you don't need the additional features that V-Carve offers, there's no reason to pay for them. A lot of people really like CamBam. I've never used it, so really can't comment on it at all.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I decided to use Flashcut for controler. This leaves me looking for CAD as will likely use CamBam. If all else fails I will stick with viacad which is a pretty good option.

Last edited by NewHobby; 11-26-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

You could look at Geomagic. for CAD is used to be Alibre and they have a personal version that is very reasonable. It's really great for 2-2.5d stuff. CAM, you could look at OneCNC, or if you step up to pro versions of Geomagic you can get some of their integrated CAM solutions.

"It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by NewHobby View Post
    I decided to use Flashcut for CAM. This leaves me looking for CAD. If all else fails I will stick with viacad which is a pretty good option.
    I'm not that familiar with flashcut, but isn't it a controller? I always thought it was essentially like Mach 3. If it does CAM, is it a conversational CAM?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes... it is a controller, I will use the instead of Mach. Doing 2 things at once when I posted. I corrected it. Doh!

I downloaded CamBam last night, I actually liked it. Ran horribly on my laptop so my imported stl's were un-usable. Need to build a new workstation for Cam/CAD too.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by big_mak View Post
    You could look at Geomagic. for CAD is used to be Alibre and they have a personal version that is very reasonable. It's really great for 2-2.5d stuff. CAM, you could look at OneCNC, or if you step up to pro versions of Geomagic you can get some of their integrated CAM solutions.
    Geomagic is a good option and you can get the Sherline Edition for $250. This expands the file export options from the basic Geomagic.

I've owned Onecnc back when it was XP, and it's a great CAM system. It's not for the faint of heart though when it comes to paying for it. The OP said he wants to stick to around $600 or less. I don't think OneCNC has a product for under $1000 and it may be closer to $2000 for their basic mill package (and I do mean basic). IIRC, I spent between $4k and $5k for mine, and while the software was great to use, it was unable to produce a program that worked on my machine due to the need for advance tool calls in toolchanges (and no way to script anything in the post processor). I switched to Bobcad, which was not that great back then but had high level scripting in post processors, and have used Bobcad primarily ever since. In my opinion, the last 3 versions of Bobcad are as user friendly as OneCNC XP was (which is what I loved about it), and V25/V26 3 axis Mill Pro has potentially matched current OneCNC Mill Pro toolpath strategies, making it a pretty legitimate option as well for a fraction of the cost.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am even good going to $1000, especially if I can do CAD and CAM in it. 2G';s is out, this is just a hobby. Once I get parts I like I can send out diagrams to produce volumes if I can come up with a damn idea.

I played with CamBam and frankly I could design much of my parts in there too. Did nto lik all the tempalte stuff. I totally get why they do it. I write software bit it all seemed a but un-needed like trying to solve a problem no one asked to be solved. Emachine shop is easy but it is not a whole lot more sophisticated than CamBam is when it comes down to it.

Single component mechanical stuff does not require something like Inventor. It does take some time and is a bit clunky though. I am not super keen on multiple bits of software being handed off from one system to another. I am sure there is nothing wrong with it but it seems that designing and generating the g-code from one piece of software if it is good is more optimal. I was leaning toward the Vectric stuff but that seems not exactly right for metal and mills.

The search continues, I got time, not trying to land something tomorrow. I have a few products to download and work through tutorials and see which one jives with my mindset. Everyone is different.

Thanks all great info.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Emachine shop type CAD software?

Wound up getting BobCad V26 Profesional version and got bobart which is a horrible name for what it is.

The CAD takes getting used to, like anything. Bought training as well. The cam is freaking great man it can't get any easier than this, and the advanced 3D toolpathing is great in the pro version although I will likley stick to 2D. Could have stuck with the std version given that I suppose.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Emachine shop type CAD software?

NewHobby,

BobART is extremely powerful once you get the hang of it. Make sure that you use the help system under Help/Help Topics. It has a ton of tutorials for BobART that you can work through. Welcome to the BobCAD-CAM family!