Best cad to cam software

Thread: Best cad to cam software

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Best cad to cam software

Hey everyone i want to get your opinions on this subject, I'm currently using auto cad 3d for my cad work and than We as a company use Mastercam for toolpathing and posting.As many of you know Mastercam is very expensive to buy a new seat ,we got quoted 20K,, i was looking for a better program to use for cad work, I like solidworks but wanted to see how easy it would be to learn coming from autocad and how well it translates into mastercam.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Although Solidworks is a very good program, comming from AutoCad, maybe look at Rhino3d, as it is an autocad type clone interface, so you may feel more at home.. You can download and install/use the trial indefinitely with a 25 save limit, then still full functionality but no save.

Rhino 3d will have more advanced surfacing tools, but would lack the parametrics of SolidWorks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Although Solidworks is a very good program, comming from AutoCad, maybe look at Rhino3d, as it is an autocad type clone interface, so you may feel more at home.. You can download and install/use the trial indefinitely with a 25 save limit, then still full functionality but no save.

Rhino 3d will have more advanced surfacing tools, but would lack the parametrics of SolidWorks.
    I have used Solidworks since 97 and had to interface with some Rhino surface files recently. The assignment was to take in Rhino surface files and create part drawings for the tool shop. Needless to say since the sufaces were undefineable mathematically, I could not create a dimensioned part print in Solidworks . I ended up slicing and dicing the rhino file and laying arcs and lines on it to create mathematically defined sketches and finally solids for the part prints. With the parametrics in Solidworks, part changes are much easier.
    Learnig curve is extremely fast. You should have no issues importing the Solidworks file to Mastercam. There are also cam packages that integrate into Solidworks so if you make a change to the part, the tool paths are updated also.
    Also check and see what your customers and vendors are using. Always good to be on the same software for changes and updates.

Good Luck
    Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Needless to say since the sufaces were undefineable mathematically, I could not create a dimensioned part print in Solidworks . I ended up slicing and dicing the rhino file and laying arcs and lines on it to create mathematically defined sketches and finally solids for the part prints.
    Yeah, Rhino has a command that does this....Solidworks should have a command that will create the sectioned drawings too. I dont have Solidworks though...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Yeah, Rhino has a command that does this....Solidworks should have a command that will create the sectioned drawings too. I dont have Solidworks though...
    The command line would slow me down having to type the input. As for section views in drawings in SW, you draw a line where you want the section to cut and hit the "section" icon.
    Don't mean to hijack the thread.
    As I said before, check with customers, vendors, suppliers and see what they are using.

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ill add my 2 cents
    Rhino, love it, i have Rhino3 ,4, and 5(WIP) for surfacing it is simple, intuitive and fast.
    I also have 2 seats in Catia, so i know both ends of the market.

Rhino does not do solids as well as it does surfaces, also the export to iges can be rather clunky, missing data or reversed faces, no idea why but in my 10 years of using it always has. Step files are normally OK

We use Edgecam for our CAM work and find that it takes a Rhino stl file exceptionally well, its easy to use and the best feature is that it comes with its own post processor editor, so no extra costs for unusual post processors (we actually run mach 3 on our mills having converted from mazak and fanuc and pacer's own horrid control.

This month we have upgraded all our machine's to Win7, or rather our last Xp machine died so we have looked for our new software at the same time.
    Tried featurecam today and after maybe 2 hrs with the rep flicking through at speed ive picked up enough to be able to program it myself, it is good and robust with stl and iges, but step seems to be an additional feature, and therefore cost - when choosing software I always insist on the program i buy is complete, any add on's then nah not buying (except 4th or 5th axis as i can appreciate the extra cost in the machine warranting paying more for the work it does) because you will be stuck with it for a while, we changed to edgecam 7 years ago for example and in that time have gone through 5 machine upgrades as the business expanded.

Side by side all these programs are the same, they start with a blank sheet, you punch in some details and end up with a page full of numbers.
    The important thing is how you get on with it, i once read an argument about software that got heated about this is easy and yours is hard, well its like riding a motorbike and driving a car, you can probably do both and they achieve the same thing but one you will take to and enjoy and be good at, the other youll get there in the end but never be as fast, it will always be lacking something...

for me Ill probably stick with edgecam as i know it inside out and can program it whilst doing something else, got all my preferences set so i will be drawing and flipping screens etc. and at my age re -learning is not top priority id rather be in the pub!
    As for CAD Get Rhino everyone should have a copy its like $800 less if you've been with them all along but use it for finding problems or opening files sent to you (it opens everything so its a good viewer and file converter)
    As for solid modelling, cant help I was trained in Catia 15 years ago and do some work for BEA and BAA so its all i can use. From what ive seen solidedge is not quite as good as solidworks but then SW is a Dassult program like Catia so im probably biased.
    A lot of companies now are switching to SpaceClaim (Toyota i believe are one of 10 big names to use it) Had a look at it but couldnt be bothered to spend the time as I prefer Rhino

Hope that helps, buy what you like the most and provides most for less so long as who ever sells it to you is someone you like, cause your gonna have to ask someone when your stuck and that factor is probably the most important one.

Anyway thats my 2 cents!

Downloads
    Uploads

Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by rally.sport View Post
    Ill add my 2 cents
    Rhino, love it, i have Rhino3 ,4, and 5(WIP) for surfacing it is simple, intuitive and fast.
    I also have 2 seats in Catia, so i know both ends of the market.

Rhino does not do solids as well as it does surfaces, also the export to iges can be rather clunky, missing data or reversed faces, no idea why but in my 10 years of using it always has. Step files are normally OK

We use Edgecam for our CAM work and find that it takes a Rhino stl file exceptionally well, its easy to use and the best feature is that it comes with its own post processor editor, so no extra costs for unusual post processors (we actually run mach 3 on our mills having converted from mazak and fanuc and pacer's own horrid control.

This month we have upgraded all our machine's to Win7, or rather our last Xp machine died so we have looked for our new software at the same time.
    Tried featurecam today and after maybe 2 hrs with the rep flicking through at speed ive picked up enough to be able to program it myself, it is good and robust with stl and iges, but step seems to be an additional feature, and therefore cost - when choosing software I always insist on the program i buy is complete, any add on's then nah not buying (except 4th or 5th axis as i can appreciate the extra cost in the machine warranting paying more for the work it does) because you will be stuck with it for a while, we changed to edgecam 7 years ago for example and in that time have gone through 5 machine upgrades as the business expanded.

Side by side all these programs are the same, they start with a blank sheet, you punch in some details and end up with a page full of numbers.
    The important thing is how you get on with it, i once read an argument about software that got heated about this is easy and yours is hard, well its like riding a motorbike and driving a car, you can probably do both and they achieve the same thing but one you will take to and enjoy and be good at, the other youll get there in the end but never be as fast, it will always be lacking something...

for me Ill probably stick with edgecam as i know it inside out and can program it whilst doing something else, got all my preferences set so i will be drawing and flipping screens etc. and at my age re -learning is not top priority id rather be in the pub!
    As for CAD Get Rhino everyone should have a copy its like $800 less if you've been with them all along but use it for finding problems or opening files sent to you (it opens everything so its a good viewer and file converter)
    As for solid modelling, cant help I was trained in Catia 15 years ago and do some work for BEA and BAA so its all i can use. From what ive seen solidedge is not quite as good as solidworks but then SW is a Dassult program like Catia so im probably biased.
    A lot of companies now are switching to SpaceClaim (Toyota i believe are one of 10 big names to use it) Had a look at it but couldnt be bothered to spend the time as I prefer Rhino

Hope that helps, buy what you like the most and provides most for less so long as who ever sells it to you is someone you like, cause your gonna have to ask someone when your stuck and that factor is probably the most important one.

Anyway thats my 2 cents!

Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mike 1948 View Post
    The command line would slow me down having to type the input. As for section views in drawings in SW, you draw a line where you want the section to cut and hit the "section" icon.
    Yeah, Rhino has 10 trillion icons for all those commands too!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pardon me for butting in, but I am new to this. Is there a CAD software that is applicable to any CNC router out there, or are specific software packages best used with specific machines?

Downloads
    Uploads

There is a few different CAD programs to choose from. Recently, I have seen a few boast Draftsight. There is also Alibre, Rhino, etc.

Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GERRYM View Post
    Pardon me for butting in, but I am new to this. Is there a CAD software that is applicable to any CNC router out there, or are specific software packages best used with specific machines?
    Take a look at Vectrics Line of carving software. It works very well with a generic machine controller software like Mach 3. Works with many machines.

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am using cambam for long times. it is one of the best.

[URL="http://sciencefounder.com/2015/01/cnc-router-design-and-building/"]CNC Router Design and Building[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Best cad to cam software

it depends that what are your needs

Solidworks is for me the best software to make very complex solids parametric the way the program is being done you must make a sketch and after you make relations and dimensions to make sketch fully defined works better in solids then surfaces
    Rhino is the most easier cad to make complex surfaces that i know but parametric forget it

If you look for a cheap cad

Draftsight is an Autocad copy and it`s free but don`t have the parametric

Part Modeler is a very cheap cad for solids but i don`t like him it`s like solidworks but dificult to work i think but it costs 10x less then solidworks

SpaceClaim enginner is cheap and is very fast to make solids very dificults it has much help but not parametric