PEM Press inserts

Thread: PEM Press inserts

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default PEM Press inserts

Hello,

I am technically new here but I have been here many times as a source of good knowledge.

I have a customer who wants us to press 12 inserts into a 5051 aluminum plate that is .125" thick. about 100 plates per order. (PEM #'s FHS-0420-20 and FHS-032-10)

My question is what do people charge to do these operations?

I have an iron worker and a arbor press. Just looking at taking this part of the quote on and keeping this process
    in house.

Any information on how to bid/charge this would be so helpful.

Thank you for reading

Jeremy

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PEM Press inserts

Once you're set up it should only take a few seconds to install each stud. You might try it and see how long it takes. You will need some kind of a simple fixture to hold things in alignment when pressing, but that should be easy to build. If you are going to punch the holes, the spec for the FHS-0420-20 calls for 0.249 +0.003 /- 0.000 so a pretty accurate hole is required. Drilling the holes is easy to control the size.

I would charge a 1 time setup charge ($200 maybe?), then figure the price on the plates per each. Maybe $1.50 or so per plate, depending on your shop rate and time required.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Once you're set up it should only take a few seconds to install each stud. You might try it and see how long it takes. You will need some kind of a simple fixture to hold things in alignment when pressing, but that should be easy to build. If you are going to punch the holes, the spec for the FHS-0420-20 calls for 0.249 +0.003 /- 0.000 so a pretty accurate hole is required. Drilling the holes is easy to control the size.

I would charge a 1 time setup charge ($200 maybe?), then figure the price on the plates per each. Maybe $1.50 or so per plate, depending on your shop rate and time required.
    That's about what I came up with. I just doubled the cost of parts and came up with $1.64. Do you think the iron worker would be the way to go or is a 1ton arbor press enough?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

I think the iron worker would be way overkill and the cycle time would be longer. A one ton arbor press might be heavy enough, not sure. I would set it up with a foot peddle and a spring return. That way you have both hands free to handle the plates.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I think the iron worker would be way overkill and the cycle time would be longer. A one ton arbor press might be heavy enough, not sure. I would set it up with a foot peddle and a spring return. That way you have both hands free to handle the plates.
    Thanks for all your input. I've been looking to purchase a larger arbor press.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk