Hi there,

I have been laser cutting and engraving acrylic parts and non-metals as a small business owner for 10 years. We do small signs and awards, displays, custom work. The business is fine but not as great as I'd hope.

I work with the wife and we have one employee. So I was thinking recently, since I keep getting requests for cutting metal parts and I keep refusing them, why not start cutting metal in-house? (we advertise laser-cutting for plastics, but people don't read through the info...). I do outsource metal parts when I need them for signs, but if someone just wants pieces cut, I redirect them elsewhere. Maybe I should do something about this...

We don't have so much space to spare, so I was thinking to test with a 4x4 plasma CNC, which is not a really big investment. There are a lot of machine shops and welders in the area, so I could supply small parts for them. I'm a self learner, and already fine with Mach3 and CAM software.

BUT since I 've never really worked with steel or metal , I was wondering what other things to consider, like auxiliary equipment. Is welding equipment mandatory? Will I need a shear/brake as well ? At this point, I am very excited about entering the world of plasma cutting, but all the info I have is from table manufacturers and youtube videos... I might need a reality check!

Thanks in advance

cheers everyone