Thread: cnc to 3d print

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default cnc to 3d print

Hello.
    I build 3 axis cnc machine.
    Tb6560, nema 23, mach3
    I upgrade this machine with laser head 2.5w.
    Its work nice.
    I want upgrade my machine to a 3d printer.
    I'm new to these devices. Can anyone help me select the components for upgrade to a 3d printer. I prefer to order at ebay.com.
    Sorry for my bad english.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: cnc to 3d print

Downloads
    Uploads

That's just a "hot end". You'll also need a stepper-powered filament feed mechanism, and a way to drive it. Do you have a spare channel in your control box, or do you plan to disconnect something to make one?

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your answer.
    I allready ordered new 4 axis controller TB6560.
    Ok. Now i must find proper stepper motor for this hot end.
    What else do I need?
    Some linki to product would be great.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by majstoralc View Post
    Hello.
    I build 3 axis cnc machine.
    Tb6560, nema 23, mach3
    I upgrade this machine with laser head 2.5w.
    Its work nice.
    I want upgrade my machine to a 3d printer.
    I'm new to these devices. Can anyone help me select the components for upgrade to a 3d printer. I prefer to order at ebay.com.
    Sorry for my bad english.
    I have also had similar plans and assuming you have a 4-axis driver card, this is fairly simple. I don't know about Mach3, but at least with UCCNC. Anyway, I designed and built a 3 axis CNC and planned to use it as 3D printer also, so I tested the concept but then I decided not to carry on because of several reasons...

• The Z axis is far too heavy for no reason (in this concept).
    • The machine is too noisy for a several hours of printing pass.
    • Need a special fixture for the heat bed.
    • CNC is useless when the printer head is installed and the spindle is removed.
    • 3D printing means many very small movements and that created a lot of rapid up/down motion which may tear the Z apart after a short time.
    • The 3D printer is independent of the PC, if I want I can run it from an SD-card. The CNC requires the PC.
    • Better, more advanced heat control. The 3D printer has PID for two extruders and a bed, the CNC has nothing of that.

The list can be made long.

...but if you want to print at snail speed then it is OK.

In the end and after some consideration I decided to buy a super cheap acrylic 3D printer kit to test and learn and to see if I want a better one later. It arrived a a few days later and after a few hours it was ready to print. I think considering the price and the used materials it is an excellent printer, but already before it arrived I decided to make some changes, so after less than a week I started with some serious modifications, still with the aim of learning. I decided to build a 3D printer from scratch and use this one to make some parts and as a test object. I am building one and improving this Geeetech in parallel.

With the Geeetech as it is, I have rapids of 15m/min and my CNC has a maximum of 9m/min, so already here the cheap 3D printer wins over the considerably more expensive CNC. Noise level is extremely low compared to the CNC. I think that is because of the belt drive on X and Y axis. The one I am designing will have ball screws and linear rails, as opposed to the Geeetech with round rods and ordinary 8mm screws (not even trapezoidal).

Anyway, I think if you have space it is better to buy a 3D printer than to modify a CNC.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by majstoralc View Post
    I bought the same extruder from the same seller. It works well. The 3D printer I bought had an extruder already but this one is better. What you have to think about is the voltage. If you want to run it with 24V, which is MUCH better, you should order the 24V version. I made a mistake here and ordered a 12V version but it takes too long to heat it up to working temperature, so I will replace the heater in the 3D printer I am building with a 24V heater rod.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com