Newbie 3d Printer Discussion

Thread: 3d Printer Discussion

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 3d Printer Discussion

Hi Guys and Gals,

Right straight off the bat I am going to say this whole 3D printing business is a hole new world to me. But most defiantly something I want to get into.

My Background Own and run my own little CNC routing business.

I am looking to expand into the 3D printer area on CNC.

So my requirements are a Bed that would allow a minimum of 600 x 600 x 300mm

I would need it to be able to use different types of filament. But not during the same print IE able to use PLA in one print ABS in another.

Size isnt an issue plenty of room in the workshop.

The other thing is cost. Money as with everything is the real factor.

It would not be an issue if the Printer came flat pack and i have to assemble it myself.

I really look forward to what you guys and gals have to suggest and look forward to your replies

Thanks In Advance Tom

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 3d Printer Discussion

While those dimensions are small for a CNC router, they are large for a 3D printer. The inexpensive machines you may have heard about tend to be much smaller. Scaling them up increases the expense of the machine considerably, while making bigger parts takes a lot longer, all other things being equal. Unlike routers, printers need to move quite fast but don't need to be nearly as rigid. Printing in ABS requires a heated bed, or the parts warp off the build plate as they cool.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

You'll also have massive issues printing things that size - the shrinkage on ABS (for example) as it cools generates enough force on a part 300mm long to tear chunks out of the heated borosilicate bed I use. Not to mention the multiple days it would take to print something worthy of a bed that size with a continual fire hazard the whole time, ie something that needs to be watched.

So:
    - lighter but much, much faster (forget your 3m/min, my 3D printer does rapids at 600mm/s or 36m/min).
    - need PID control over heated bed and hot end(s), not something catered for in a typical motion controller eg Mach3 or UCCNC or LinuxCNC or in the usual breakout boards.
    - there's a practical limit of time and bed adhesion through shrinkage which limits print size which drives smaller bed sizes.
    - generally an enclosure for fume extraction and build envelope air temperature is a good idea when working with ABS, Nylon and some other materials.

All in all, you look at the motion and it's an intuitive jump to add a hot end to your spindle mount but, in reality, it'll be a heck of a lot cheaper and easier to just buy a printer.

Funny you mention flat pack. My favourite machine for the last couple of years has been SeeMeCNC's Rostock Max. Big build volume, cheap as chips (well, thousand dollar chips), awesome forum for support and good support from the company on the rare occasions other users can't help. Plus it's a delta format machine instead of a cartesian, and watching those things fly is pretty cool.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mate,

I actually manage a small income out of 3D printing.

Just buy a Zortrax M200 and use it's range of filaments to get a feel for the whole thing.

It's one of the few that will work out of the box without you needing to join a forum and mod the thing extensively to get your first print.

The sizes you have described are not likely without big bucks spent.

Downloads
    Uploads

My SeeMeCNC Rostock Max worked first print. Yes, I've done some upgrades over the years - notably a new hot end (E3D V6) to handle nylon and polycarbonate filaments and an enclosure for the build volume to help stabilise temperatures and keep the stink in the room down when cooking ABS.

Big build volume, cheap for what it can do, etc. I've helped with other printers for clients and realised that it's all pretty hit and miss. It worked first time for me, others lost hair trying to get theirs working. And it looks the same no matter which one you get. Some people have no hassles, others find it a never ending battle.

Downloads
    Uploads

Google the bigbox from e3d if You like a Bigger Printer You can use the e3d hotends on an ramps marlin Setup i Even used one for pcb Milling on an Cnc Proxxon mf 70 but a heatbed is key for non bending Print

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk