Newbie Adding a 3D printer to my CNC router

Thread: Adding a 3D printer to my CNC router

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Adding a 3D printer to my CNC router

HI Guys,

So I seem to getting a lot of enquirys regarding 3d printing.

Looking at the money involved to buy a small machine i am looking at adding a 3d printer to the CNC router i have.

I have spent hours looking at what i need but i dont know if that stuff is any good?

So My machine....

8' x 4' cnc router

Spare z axis to equip the extruder to.

Runs on Mach 3.

So answers i am looking for,

What do i need to buy hardware wise to achieve this?

What software do you guys recommend?

Look forward to your replies

Thanks In Advance

Tom

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Adding a 3D printer to my CNC router

3d printing involes very little forces and requires great speed more than any router I have seen is capable of, printing large 3d Items takes an extremely long time hence 3d printers average 200-300mm Cubed work areas prints can run for days at that size. What you need is a cheap 3d printer depending on quality needed and materials to be used this can cost anywhere from £200 for a bog standard Prusa i3 knock off to a lot of money for proffesional machines, tacking a print head onto an 8x4 and 3d printing is about as feasable strapping a router onto a 3d printer and cutting aluminium it aint going to happen succesfully, closest thing would be a mostly printed CNC that can run half a dozen print heads all printing same item i.e. duplicating one item.

Information needed to advise on suitable printer What sort of prints? What materials? size of items to be printed? What sort of accuracy required.

Mach 3 pretty useless for 3d printing, software best reasonably priced Simply3D, plenty of free software around Repetier id a standard lots of info to be found on sites like Reprap Wiki.

Lastly 3d printers can be temperamental beasts and need tuning to perform well, print speeds are slow and materials like ABS can be badly affected by as little as a draught caused by someone walking past.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Adding a 3D printer to my CNC router

Thank you for your reply,

Defiantly threw a spanner in the works on my plan but its better now in the planning stage than once done and cost money.

I will look at what 3d printers are available to cater some of my customers requirements

Again Thank you for taking the time to reply