designing an easy to build open source 3D printer

Thread: designing an easy to build open source 3D printer

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb designing an easy to build open source 3D printer

Hi, I'm trying to design an open source 3D printer that should be easy to build, doesn't require any 3D printed parts (all custom parts should be made out of plates) and the other parts should be standard parts (CNC) you can easily buy on ebay. I'm as well playing with the idea that you could make the custom parts out of cardboard (since they are so simple) and then print parts that are similar to reprap's, so one design would be made with 3D printed parts. It's supposed to be a low cost (300-500$) printer. I wanted to build a cheap open source 3D printer but didn't find anything I liked so I decided to design a simple printer I would like. If I'm already designing it I can as well make it open source for others.
    I tried to put together some concepts in SketchUp, this is how it looks so far, what do you think, tips, suggestions?
    the collection of the designs: http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/14/68/63/67/design10.jpg
    the gallery with bigger pictures: https://imageshack.com/a/gwdz/1
    or Servimg.com - Free image hosting service