mhackney's 3D Printers - Page 6

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: mhackney's 3D Printers

Downloads
    Uploads

No, I have no idea yet. I still have to complete the prototype and I'm waiting for some materials to arrive for that. The bed could be controlled with the Vellman but I am planning to control it from Mach. You can configure it however it makes sense to you when you build it.

regards,
    Michael

Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Timothy, I wanted to research that print bed and controller a bit and so I googled "techzonecommunications.com" (the vendor for the Huxley print bed linked above). What I found was a history of them not fulfilling orders and product quality issues. Here is but 1 report: techzonecommunications.com as a seller

Not trying to dissuade you from finding a working hot bed now but I did want to point out what I found.

cheers,
    Michael

Downloads
    Uploads

Timothy, I wanted to research that print bed and controller a bit and so I googled "techzonecommunications.com" (the vendor for the Huxley print bed linked above). What I found was a history of them not fulfilling orders and product quality issues. Here is but 1 report: http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,103975,106341

Not trying to dissuade you from finding a working hot bed now but I did want to point out what I found.

cheers,
    Michael

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for the head's up. I didn't order from these guy's.
    Hope to see your model soon. My control board should be arriving today. It will be a few day's till my weekend. So, my project isn't ready for a hot bed just jet. Again, thank you.
    cheers,
    tim

Downloads
    Uploads

Default I'm Printing

Finally, figured out my problem/s and I can print! I don't even know where to begin! All of the troubles I've had the last week with skipped extruder steps, horrible prints, etc turned out to be a screwed up Mach configuration.

First, my A axis was set up as an angular axis (Config->General Config... panel). I confirmed Dave's observation that when A is configured as angular, changes to Steps Per for the A did not actually affect the stepper. Even after I got things working, I went back and made A an angular axis again and tried it. And again, changes to Step Per did not have an effect. This has to be a Mach bug. I'll file a report along with Dave on that.

Now, once I was able to effect a change on the extruder with Steps Per by configuring Mach, I made sure I was in "mm" native units (Config->Select Native Units) before proceeding with checking and setting steps per for the other axes. I used Mach's built in calculator (Settings tab -> Set Steps per Unit above the Reset button) and did a quick calibration using a caliper to measure movement. For example, I selected the X axis in the tuning dialog and told Mach to move 1 unit - which should have been a mm. It moved an inch (the old X Steps Per was still set). I measured the actual movement in mm and entered that in the "how far did it actually move" field Mach displays. Repeat on Y and Z. Here's what I got (I used Jeremy's velocity and acceleration values as a guide):

Code:
    X steps per: 31.99      velocity: 22860   acceleration: 5000
    Y steps per: 32.09      velocity: 22860   acceleration: 5000
    Z steps per: 2440.94   velocity: 200      acceleration: 75
    I then moved on to the extruder A axis. I placed a tape flag on the filament and instructed Mach to move 1 unit. Again, it moved about an inch. I measured the actual distance in mm and entered that in Mach. Here's what I got:

A steps per: 71.20 velocity: 3000 acceleration: 400

I ran through a quick test on all 3 axis and the extruder and validated that movement was what was expected. I double checked the native units, saved the config, shut down Mach and restarted it. Verified that everything was how I left it and the movements were good too. Then I loaded a whistle that I slic3r'd and set my Z height (using a pice of paper under the nozzle) and hit Cycle Start. Here's a video of the print and finished product:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_LH7Tjc-WM]My First 3D Print - YouTube

(shot and edited on my iPhone - also a cool thing!)

Some notes: Once I got Mach configured in mm and the A as a linear axis things started behaving as I would expect. The A axis not responding to Steps Per changes when configured as an Angular axis is perplexing. At least now, we'll know what to look for!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You made my day Michael!!!
    Congrats on the first print
    Hey did you remove the 2 diodes in front of the ES connection to the TB6560?

I am in the process of wiring mine up right now and doing some of the mods
    Which mods did you make to your board?

JTCUSTOMS

"It is only when they go wrong that machines remind you how powerful they are."
    Clive James

Downloads
    Uploads

Very cool indeed.

I'm getting started with my kit tonight, by unpacking and separating parts.

Work has been keeping me pretty busy lately, and it's possible that I may be called upon to do some business travel soon, so I may not be able to put in as many hours as hoped in the near term, but will be following your guide as I go.

Downloads
    Uploads

Question

Definitely do the recommended mods to the 3axis board:

1) remove the 2 diodes and jump them
    2) remove and jumper the optoisolators (specified on the photos on the yahoo group)
    3) ground the easy driver to the parallel port ground

I didn't do these in my excitement to get printing and experienced funky behavior (skewed parts, missed steps). They all went away when I made these mods. I am working on the electronic configuration manual now and these will just be documented as must do steps.

Cheers,
    Michael

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Could you post a pic of your board and ES setup?

JTCUSTOMS

Clive James

Downloads
    Uploads

Congrats on the first print. Looked pretty dang good if you ask me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Beautiful work Michael. I am sure the excitement is incredible.
    I just got my kit as I was leaving for South Texas, so it is in my hands but due to limited tools down here I might not start til I get home. However I am going to reread all of your posts, manuals, groups etc so I am familiar. Oddly enough it doesnt look too daunting if I can keep my kids away from the parts.
    In my experiences with Mach, odd things will start to occur and only a fresh install will cure the issues. Others might say differently and maybe a more experienced computer person wouldnt have to reinstall. I always have to. I am not knocking Mach at all, love it and its support. I just might not be their best operator :-)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very cool, good to see it print.
    I started wiring mine/fitting the timing belts this week, then realized I'd somehow misplaced one of the white gears that fits on the stepper motors.
    I suspect during my business trip my cats may have decided it was a good toy and wondered off with it, I spoke with John earlier in the week and he's going to send me a replacement, great support.
    In the mean time I did get X and Z wired to my RAMPS board and run through a couple of prints, to ensure everything was moving smoothly.
    You have to be very careful with the idler pulleys for the timing belts, they will not turn if the bolts are too tight, or there is too much tension on the belt, I might try stripping them down, increasing the play in the outside plastic part and using some lithium grease to see if it makes them less sensitive.

Downloads
    Uploads

Good point on the oilers rpovey, a few of us have been bitten by that. The symptom is a print that "jumps" left/right or front/back. That's because the belt is sliding on the roller and not rolling. The friction- especially at high rates - builds up and causes the belt to jump teeth. The fix is easy, loosen the screws that hold the idlers in place. However, if they are too lose, you can introduce backlash. The fix is to sand one end of the roller down a little. A drop of machine oil helps too.

cheers,
    Michael

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, minutes after I made that last post I had a scheduled conference cal with my boss. He's in CA, I'm in MA. Short of it is, I was laid off. So, after packing up my office, I came home, told the family, and took these photos of the 3 axis driver and EasyDriver! Seriously, this is a good thing. I'm in high-tech and my division has been struggling for some time. This was the kick in the pants I needed to do something bigger & better.

Here is the entire card with the EasyDriver mounted.I got this idea from Steve and John - use one of the fan screws to attach the ED to the heat sink. I used a 1/8" plastic spacer between the fan and board (it's a piece of the 3mm ID teflon from SeeMeCNC but any plastic or aluminum would work). You can see the opto jumpers top left.

Here's a better view of the ED:

And here's a closeup of the removed and jumpered diodes and the jumped optos:

cheers,
    Michael

Downloads
    Uploads

"Short of it is, I was laid off. So, after packing up my office, I came home, told the family" - Welcome to high-tech in the 21st century! Last year, after having that happen twice in 3 years, I said "Screw it", and retired early. The last time was so my new boss could bring in one of his Cisco cronies, who is doing half the job I was. I now make my living making things in my shop. The boss is still an idiot, but at least I have job security! Good luck to you, I'm sure you'll find something better.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am very sorry to hear that Michael , but at the same time I cant help but feel your enthusiasm and drive for something better.
    I can sympathize as I might be on the tightrope for a while, the company I work for had a very large explosion and fire a few weeks ago and we lost 60 % of our capacity to produce. This was months after upgrading the equipment on that process to the tune of 5 million$
    They say its going to be about 40 million to rebuild and about a year at least!
    We are Teamsters and I have been there for quite a while so I am 4th from the top as far as seniority goes, so I feel fairly "safe" but who knows maybe they will just shut the doors like they did to me when I worked for Tyco printed circuit group. But that was shortly after our Forbes top rated CEO got indicted for embezzlement in 99-00'

At least no one was killed, but we had a guy that had to be ladder trucked down 110ft. Out of a powder silo. He had pretty bad smoke inhalation and some minor burns but he's alive and kicking. I work in the engineering dept. with his father who coincidentally is the one who first got me interested in diy cnc.

He is building a 3d printer as well.

JTCUSTOMS

Clive James

Downloads
    Uploads

Michael, I wish you the very best during this transition. Judging from your writing skills you might have a few avenues to pursue. Your help and contributions here have been fantastic. Thank you very much in case I hadnt said it before.

Last edited by Fastest1; 03-16-2012 at 09:24 PM.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys, I'm going to take a week to play and then look for a job! Already had a VC contact me (!) and another startup called yesterday to meet me for coffee next week. It's a start!

Cheers,
    Michael

Downloads
    Uploads

Good to hear, you can't keep a good man down.
    Best of luck with the new job pursuits, you'll bounce back in no time.
    Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey thanks Hoss. I have a few more things to polish off on my G0704 (remember those machines!) so the time will be well spent.

cheers,
    Michael

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast