Gecko G212 problem

Thread: Gecko G212 problem

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Gecko G212 problem

Goodmorning everyone
    I have a problem with a Geckodrive G212, it loses steps.
    I tried to move the drive on another axis, the problem has moved on this axis.
    I bought a new drive, I set the pinout in the same way as the old one, but the axis does not move. If I put the old one back, even if I lose a few steps, the axis moves.
    I enclose the photos, the only differences I see are the version (old / 14-new / 17) and the 7th foot (old NC / new Reset).
    The breakout board I use is a PMDX-131.
    Do you have any idea why this happens?
    Thanks to everyone and happy holidays.

Gian Carlo
    Gecko G212 problem-20171226_113008-jpg
    Gecko G212 problem-20171226_113033-jpg
    Gecko G212 problem-20171226_113510-jpg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Gecko G212 problem

Steps are lost when a stepper motor is asked to move harder or faster than is possible for it. It's not just a problem with the drive, although a bad drive can cause lost steps, as can one that's badly tuned. To figure out what's going on with your machine, we'd need to know what motor you're using, how much power you're giving it, and what you're asking it to do.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Steps are lost when a stepper motor is asked to move harder or faster than is possible for it. It's not just a problem with the drive, although a bad drive can cause lost steps, as can one that's badly tuned. To figure out what's going on with your machine, we'd need to know what motor you're using, how much power you're giving it, and what you're asking it to do.
    Hi awerby,
    Probably my little English did not explain the problem well.
    Axis "Z" loses a few steps, Axes "X" and "Y" go very well, the repetition error is around 0.01mm.
    If I take the Gecko G212 driver of the "Z" axis and move it along the "X" axis, the step loss error moves to the "X" axis.
    I bought a new Gecko G212 driver, I replaced it, but that does not move the axis either.
    Now I'm not looking for the old driver to lose steps, but because the new one does not move.
    I hope I explained myself better.
    Thank you for your reply and I wish you a happy new year 2018.

Gian Carlo

Downloads
    Uploads

You still haven't shared enough information about your system to be able to help. Have you set up the drive as directed in this manual: G212 REV-15 | GeckoDrive ? What voltage are you running it at? Does it have a current-limiting resistor? Where is the jumper set? Did you try various positions for the trimpot?

Since Gecko doesn't sell these drives any more, where are you getting them from? Are they new or used? Do they come with any kind of warranty?

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The CNC has been fine for years, (about since 2007), so everything about the settings is still valid. The drivers were obviously new.
    About a year ago I bought, from Gecko Drive in the USA, a new driver hoping to have to "only" replace it with the old one that lost steps.
    I asked that the driver be compatible, it was confirmed.
    But now it's wrong ... if we have any idea why, what has changed, what should I change?

Thanks again.

Gian Carlo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gecko G212 problem-dscn4997-jpg
    Gecko G212 problem-p1010024-jpg