different motors on g540

Thread: different motors on g540

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default different motors on g540

Hi!

i would like to upgrade my 2 y-axis motors and my x-axis motor and leaving the z-axis motor as it is.

the new motors obviously differ alot from the new motors, so my question is, how i would calculate the power supply using different motors?

the z-motor is:

Rated current: 1.7 A
    Rated voltage: 6.8 V
    Phase resistance: 4 ohm
    Phase inductance: 14 mH
    0.88 N·m, 125 oz·in

the other motors are:

Size: 56.4 mm square × 56 mm, not including the shaft (NEMA 23)
    Weight: 0.7 kg (25 oz)
    Shaft diameter: 1/4″ (6.35 mm) “D”
    Steps per revolution: 200
    Current rating: 2.8 A per coil
    Voltage rating: 2.5 V
    Resistance: 0.9 Ohm per coil
    Holding torque: 13 kg-cm (180 oz-in)
    Inductance: 2.5 mH per coil

using a geckodrive g540 as driver and a 36V 10A power supply, but i think i would have to upgrade to 48 for the strongers motors, right?

would i have to transform the power down leading to the z-motor or could i leave them as they are?

maybe somebody has better recomendations for motors?

thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: different motors on g540

The G540 manual states the power supply should be 32 multiplied by the square root of the inductance. Above this number and you will likely get excessive motor heating while being below this number will reduce max speed by lowering the power available at higher speeds. Using this formula for your old motor gets around 120 volts indicating those steppers are not optimum for use with the G540 if your are interested in speed since the G540 has a max of 50V and your current power supply voltage of 36 even more reduces the speed available. For your new motors this formula yields around 50 volts indicating these motors are very well suited for the G540. They should do well at 36 volts (a lot better than your current Z motor) so you might as well give it a try before spending money on a new power supply. Note that to get the most power for your new motors you will need to switch the motor current set resistors for those motors to 2.8K ohm resistors.

For more info on motors and power supply voltage, read the white paper on the gecko site: Support | GeckoDrive

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: different motors on g540

thanks alot for the help!

i think i got something wrong, the old motors have 1,4 mH instead of 14. what always confused me was, that i saw some bundles with really big motors having alot of mH and according to the calculations i was always thinking of needing a bigger power supply than the maximum 50V. so when using something bigger, i only lose power, but it doesnt get unfunctional, this makes sense and i can work with that. is there some sort of formula where i could calculate the actual torque of the motor when having to high inducting motors?

thanks