Newbie needing some help

Thread: Newbie needing some help

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Newbie needing some help

I'm just now starting to setup my little Taig CNC Mill that I had purchased from Jeff over at Soigeneris and had some questions. I purchased a complete Taig CNC Mill package from Soigeneris that has a Gecko Box, stepper motors, etc. This unit connects to my computer via USB and can operate on Windows 7. My question is how do I test the stepper motors? Part of this CNC package was a License for Mach3 so the software I have is Mach3 that will supposedly work with everything, also included with the software was some custom made profiles for Mach3 as well I believe. Does anyone have knowledge of how I can test my stepper motors? Also do I need to have my spindle motor plugged in to everything for the initial testing of everything? I have a silver metal box with a light switch, this box plugs into the Gecko box and I believe this silver light switch box is what the spindle motor plugs into. Also I need to know what is the proper procedure with turning everything on. Do I make sure that the big red button on the Gecko box is pushed it **BEFORE** I press the green power button? Also at what point would I flip the switch on on the silver box with the light switch? Do I flip that light switch on the silver box on **AFTER** the Gecko box is powered on or **BEFORE** ? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated with this.

Also I think I may have a slight problem with Mach3 as when I open either Mach3Mill or Mach3Loader I get a window that pops up with some things to check mark, one of those things is something like ESS or something and when I select that option and go to click ok it then tells me something went wrong or something and if I would like to retry, when I click cancel or retry I get that infamous (Not Responding) at the top of the window when things kind of freeze and lock up for a few seconds. I'm thinking debating if something went wrong while I was installing all of the software or maybe something else is wrong along the lines, so I'm debating if I should uninstall everything and then reinstall everything.

Any input folks regarding what I mentioned and also how to test my stepper motors?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newbie needing some help

Hey, I believe I spoke to you on the phone about your box last week. Can you provide a wiring diagram for your box so I can see where the switches go? We only manufacture the G540 inside that box so all wiring outside of that is done by a third party, likely where you purchased the box from. Can you post a picture of the boxes inside and outside so I can try to trace some wires and see where they go?

Marcus Freimanis
    www.geckodrive.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Test the steppers by hooking everything up and seeing if they jog, but it's highly unlikely anything's the matter with the motors themselves. The ESS is the Ethernet Smoothstepper; it's looking for a plugin to make it work under Mach3. Have you tried asking Jeff about all this stuff?

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CoAMarcus View Post
    Hey, I believe I spoke to you on the phone about your box last week. Can you provide a wiring diagram for your box so I can see where the switches go? We only manufacture the G540 inside that box so all wiring outside of that is done by a third party, likely where you purchased the box from. Can you post a picture of the boxes inside and outside so I can try to trace some wires and see where they go?
    Ahhh yes yes indeed if you are the guy with Tech Support of Gecko Drive it was indeed most likely me you spoke to. I think it was a couple days ago when I had called you folks back and spoke to another guy maybe it was also you or someone else but shortly after that phone call I was able to come to contact with Jeff over at Soigeneris who got me squared away and walked me through setting everything up so currently everything has been resolved. I now just need to move my mill into its enclosure and connect the stepper motors given everything is now in working order with both the Gecko Drive and Mach3.

Thank you for your post here and follow up. Really appreciate the awesome service you folks provide.