Need Help! G320x Servo Drive Issues

Thread: G320x Servo Drive Issues

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default G320x Servo Drive Issues

Hi,

I have been trying to get my G320x servo drive to work but have not been having much luck. When testing the driver the encoder checks out as well as the step and direction signals. The WARN and FAULT lights function correctly. However when I power up the motor I have been getting a very twitchy movement similar to this:

The motor will move randomly and the WARN and FAULT lights will flash in sequence as expected, but then the IN POS illuminates again and the cycle continues. I have the ERR/RES connected to 5V+ and I read that this will constantly reset the driver so not sure if this is where my problem lies. I have tried changing the A and B encoder leads but this has not solved the issue. It seems to have slightly reduced the amplitude of the twitching though.

Here are the electronics I am using:
    C25s breakout board
    Ethernet Smooth Stepper
    CUI Inc AMT10 encoder set to 2048 pulses/rev
    G320x servo driver set to 1024 following error
    1/4 HP Reliance DC motor

I have tried messing with the trimpots too but they do not seem to be having much effect.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by FlyingDonkey; 04-18-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G320x Servo Drive Issues

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingDonkey View Post
    Hi,

I have been trying to get my G320x servo drive to work but have not been having much luck. When testing the driver the encoder checks out as well as the step and direction signals. The WARN and FAULT lights function correctly. However when I power up the motor I have been getting a very twitchy movement similar to this:

The motor will move randomly and the WARN and FAULT lights will flash in sequence as expected, but then the IN POS illuminates again and the cycle continues. I have the ERR/RES connected to 5V+ and I read that this will constantly reset the driver so not sure if this is where my problem lies. I have tried changing the A and B encoder leads but this has not solved the issue. It seems to have slightly reduced the amplitude of the twitching though.

Here are the electronics I am using:
    C25s breakout board
    Ethernet Smooth Stepper
    CUI Inc AMT10 encoder set to 2048 pulses/rev
    G320x servo driver set to 1024 following error
    1/4 HP Reliance DC motor

I have tried messing with the trimpots too but they do not seem to be having much effect.

Thanks for any help in advance!
    I have the same issue . I was told to get a seperate 5 volt power supply to power the encoder. I was told to try switching the encoder A/B channele wire on the drive .I was told to try switching the motor +/- wires on the drive.Then I was told that the drive is not seeing the encoder. And either the drive or encoder is bad. Dont know why there is so little support for the servo drives. I bought a kit from automation technologies inc they are no help at all . They say call Gecko .then say Call C.U.I . who makes the v102 encoders.
    automationtechnologiesinc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I actually think I figured it out. I had to set my gain to the next level up (Medium gain 2) with the following switches: SW8 “OFF”, SW9 “ON”, SW10 “ON”. After a little tuning I was finally able to get my motor to hold position with little noise (dithering). I actually went to the max gain setting at first and was able to get the motor to hold position with no noise at all but I didn't know if this would have negative affects so I brought it back down to where very little noise was present.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I got my drive to enable. In all wiring diagrams I have seen they show the the error reset pin jumpered . Well after watching the vide it is not had wired it only needs to make contact for a few seconds. So I assume that now I must connect all error pins to one side of a switch and all 5v to one side of a monentary switch so I can enable all drives . Sure would of been nice to have a clearer pitchure of this a year ago..

Downloads
    Uploads

gabedrummin,

Yeah, the ERR/RES pin can be a bit confusing. It is best to hook it up to a momentary switch that you hit at power up to bring it out of fault and to clear a fault if you run into one later. That does not sound like it will be the problem though; if you have a jumper there it will just bring it out of fault and ignore that pin until it runs into a FAULT state again. You may want to try what FlyingDonkey did and up your gain settings. The gain switches are just how aggressive the PID loop is, and in general you will want a higher gain setting for lower encoder line counts and a lower gain setting for higher encoder line counts.

Marcus Freimanis
    www.geckodrive.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Marcus I now have all drives enabled and motors turning .The Video you all posted did the trick thanks.