G540 Wiring question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G540 Wiring question

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default G540 Wiring question

Hi.
    Purchased the G540 after unsuccessfully trying to cobble together a system using some other drives:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/steppe...cnc-posts.html

Started wiring today,
    Wired up the powersupply. I'm using a 36V 12.5A PS purchased during my earlier attempt. Will use this for now, and will later replace with 48v.
    jumper wire between 10 and 12.
    Set charge pump to disable.
    Soldered the motor wires to the db9 conectors, and powered up.
    The green LED comes on.

The motors are supposed to have holding torque.

How do I know whether they have holding torque? They're not supposed to be moving at this point, and are not connected to my pc.
    I can move the motor shaft with my hands, just the same as when they are not connected to anything.

Regards,
    Seshadri

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G540 Wiring question

You won't be able to turn a stepper shaft by hand when activated and at holding torque. I'd get out the G540 manual, and go through the setup again and double check all wiring..
    Just be careful and don't connect or disconnect a stepper/cable with power applied... you'll fry the driver most likely.

Downloads
    Uploads

What motors are you using? Did you solder in a current set resistor into the db9s?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you coherent, manofmanyhats.

I am using NEMA 23 motors, the data sheet attached.
    G540 Wiring question-20170312_205431-jpg
    G540 Wiring question-23h-76-28-4a-jpg

I tried 3 combinations, the middle one worked. After it came on, I could no longer turn the motor shaft by hand.

Will be moving on to the next step today.

Thanks and regards,
    Seshadri

Downloads
    Uploads

Glad you got it figured out. Good luck with the rest of your build.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Coherent,
    I re-soldered all the db9 connectors, and got holding torque on all four motors:-)

Hit another minor snag though.
    Connected the parallel port cable to my pc, and started up linuxcnc, and started a setup.
    The motors are still asleep.

After much reading, i checked the continuity in the parallel port cable, and found there are only some 17-odd cables inside.
    Apparently that is enough for it to function as a parallel port cable for the pc.
    G540 Wiring question-20170313_183449-jpg
    So tomorrow I have to find a 25 core cable, and make a through db25 cable out of it.

Anything i need to look out for?

Regards,
    Seshadri

Downloads
    Uploads

A printer cable has 25 pins, but 8 of them are ground and might be routed using a single wire. Your existing 17 wire cable might be good enough.

Steve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Steve,
    When I begin the setup in linux-cnc (which I'm still trying to figure out), I am asked for a designation for each pin. So that implies that each pin needs it's own wire, and cant be combined with any other. The printer cable i had did have one wire soldered onto a flat thingy that was connected across 8 pins.

However, the situation is, when I connect the cable and begin my linuxcnc setup I reach a place where I'm configuring each axis. At that point, there is a button there that says 'test this axis'. When I click on it, I'm assuming the corresponding motor should spin.

When I connected the printer cable, there was no response.
    So
    Bought the 25 core cable and soldered 50 connections with heatshrink over them to make sure there is no contact with adjoining pins.
    Tested again, no response from the motors.
    G540 Wiring question-20170314_184843-jpg
    So
    I'm still a little fuzzy about the exact definition of a straight-through cable. Straight through from what perspective?
    If I take that to be from the 'visual' perspective, then all the wire would travel from pin1 straight through and hit pin 13 at the other end.
    G540 Wiring question-parallel-port-01-jpg
    If I take that to be from the 'pin' perspective, then all the wires need to cross, so that pin1 connects to pin1.
    G540 Wiring question-parallel-port-02-jpg

Tried the 'visual' perspective yesterday, and no response from the motors. Can someone let me know which is the correct way to interpret that term, so that I can get that right, so then if the motors don't move I know that the problem is somewhere else.

thanks and regards,
    Seshadri

Downloads
    Uploads

Straight through is simply a printer "extension" cable. It can have male to female or any mix. Actually your first diagram is a straight through although pin one will terminate at pin one etc., not 13. Sometimes the cable description may say "straight through" sometimes not. That doesn't mean it's not a straight through cable. Crossover cables and rollover cables aren't very common as far as DB25 printer extension cables are concerned. You see them more commonly in DB9 modem or null modem cables.
    The G540 requires a male to male whereas some breakout boards have a male (requiring a female cable end) or centronics (like on the back of a older parallel printer).

Although a printer may not use all 25 pins, a cnc machine can and does. They use them for the mix of output and input signals. Get a cable that's fully populated. Some of the cheap ones only have partial (like the one you have). It's much easier and simpler to just buy a cable instead of making or rewiring one. They are factory soldered, molded and checked. They are pretty cheap on ebay or amazon.

Once you connect he DB25, you need to have your driver software setup for your configuration of ports an pins and running to activate your motors etc. I use windows and Mach not linux so can't help you there.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks coherent.

Anyways, swapped one end of the cable and made a through cable.

Now the motor moves. But sort of stutters, as if it's not sure which way to turn.
    I suspected the motor connections to the g540, and removed all the db9 connectors, and the four pinXLR connectors, and plugged in just one motor directly to the g540.
    G540 Wiring question-20170315_183030-jpg
    Whatever combination of wires I try, The motor just stutters.
    below are the settings I am using in Linux CNC. Would like to know if I've got some thing wrong here. (I rather hope I have, because if I haven't, then I'm not really sure what to try next.)

thanks and regards,
    Seshadri

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

HI.

I also plugged in all 4 motors, each in a different arrangement (keeping the 'A' coil in pins 8&9, and 'B' coil in pins 6&7, I still get 4 possible combinations) into the db9 connectors, with a resistor across, and started up linuxcnc.

All four move erratically while doing the test at setup. means there are two arrows for jogging. I press only the right arrow, but the motors sometimes move clockwise, sometimes anticlockwise.

I am stumped at this point in time, and have no idea how to troubleshoot this.
    Desperately need some help here. I am quite new to linux cnc too. Do i also need to post in the linuxcnc subforum?

I might also give mach4 a try. In that case, coherent, I hope you'll help me out, if you don't mind.

Thanks and Regards,
    Seshadri

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G540 Wiring question-20170316_154732-jpg  
    Last edited by Sesh; 03-16-2017 at 06:24 AM. Reason: typo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

HI.
    Added another hard drive with windows7. 32 bit.
    i-5 processor with 4gb RAM.

Installed Mach4 demo, and Darwin.

During the Darwin Setup, at the point where I can test my motors, the motors turn, but only in one direction. When I try jogging the other way, the motor stutters.
    I have tried(again) various combinations of the wires into the db9 connectors, including the one john posted here(http://www.cnczone.com/forums/gecko-...ix-motors.html).
    G540 Wiring question-g540-d-type-motor-john100-jpg
    The problem persists.

Is the problem with the resistor?
    I am not using a 48v PS. My PS is 36v. but 12.5 amps. As that resistor is for setting current, that too when idle, it should have no bearing on the movement, right?

There is obviously a gap in my understanding of the pipeline here. Is there a foolproof way of determining what wire from the stepper should go into which pin of the db9 connector?

Regards,
    Seshadri

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Last edited by Sesh; 03-17-2017 at 12:29 PM. Reason: updating video link

Downloads
    Uploads

Not sure what you posted, but when you try to play it says... "This Video is Private"

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oops, never posted videos before,
    Can you see them now? I've made them 'unlisted'

Regards,
    Seshadri

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like you finally got them turning. Glad you figured it out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by coherent View Post
    Looks like you finally got them turning. Glad you figured it out.
    Thanks Coherent:-)
    The worst is, i lost 4 days to a bad datasheet. The motors datasheet showed red and green as a pair, and I went with that.
    Well, there was nothing else left to try, since i had also checked the high and low voltages on pin 3,5,7 and 9 on the db25 cable.
    Turned out red and blue are a pair.
    So now it's figured out in linuxcnc and mach4!

Progressing to estops and proximity sensors tomorrow.

Thanks and regards,
    Seshadri

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like you didn't have the step dir puls lengths set correctly in the software.
    Mark

Regards,
    Mark

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RotarySMP View Post
    Sounds like you didn't have the step dir puls lengths set correctly in the software.
    Mark
    You're right Mark, I haven't figured that out yet.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi.
    I need a bit of help figuring out the Vfd for my spindle.
    I will be starting with a 800w spindle, later on upgrading to a 1.2kw.
    So as i was advised earlier here, I need to buy a Vfd with capacity of 1.2kw. So far so good.

My studio where the machine will be placed, has single phase AC power. The spindle and vfd need 3phase power. When i read online, some people say you cant convert, and some others say the 1phase needs to be converted to dc, and then converted again to 3phase. Some others say a VFD should do this. But a few vendors selling vfds locally had heard nothing about this.
    I have a feeling if i dont know enough about it before i approach these guys again, I'm going to get fleeced, and how.
    What is the least painful path for me to take?

Regards,
    Seshadri

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast