New Machine Build Do I need different steppers?

Thread: Do I need different steppers?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Do I need different steppers?

I purchased a package with the Gecko G540, 48V 7.3 amp power supply, and 382oz/in steppers with 7mH inductance :/

according to the G540 manual, the power supply would need to be 84V for this to work, and the G540 only accepts up to 50V

I take it I kinda got screwed on this combo, and need steppers with lower inductance?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Do I need different steppers?

The 84 volts is not the required voltage, it is the voltage that will give the maximum possible speed out of your motors.
    Your motors will run fine at 48 volts but will not have as high a maximum speed.
    The rest of you machine may not be capable of the maximum speed as well and you may not need the faster speed.
    If your motors are 4 wire than you have no choice in how to connect but if they are 8 wire then hooking up in bipolar parallel will give the lowest inductance.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thank you for the reply. I have tried running the motors at 48V, and their very noisy & not smooth at all. I'm not sure if this is a motor tuning issue?

here's a video:

Last edited by scott0999; 02-25-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm working with Automation Technology & Gecko to get this resolved right now. Will post the culprit once found

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Didn't get a reply & I've been eager to get this working normally. So I ordered motors with lower inductance (2.8mH, everything else same) and they sound exactly the same

Automation Tech thought it was the controller, however I'm confused how that could be since its a 4 axis controller, and the steppers do it on any axis

I'm at a loss and can't seem to find anyone that's had steppers sounding like this. Any ideas?

Downloads
    Uploads

In the video, you have a step pulse width of 0. I believe the gecko540 should be atleast 2us.

Try without your motor couplings on to see if there is any change.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jfong View Post
    In the video, you have a step pulse width of 0. I believe the gecko540 should be atleast 2us.

Try without your motor couplings on to see if there is any change.
    I've been meaning to upload a revised video. I tried the steps at 2uS and its exactly the same. the axis moves smoothly without the motor hooked up. I went ahead and disconnected it anyway, same result unfortunately

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm assuming you double checked all your wiring to ensure it's correct and you have the proper value resistors on your stepper cables/connectors?
    If you made your own cables check your cables with a meter to ensure you don't have a bad connection or short anywhere. Also check the voltage from your power supply if you haven't to ensure it's operating correctly. Also assuming you're using a machine with XP x32 and not a x64 OS or a newer version of windows (unless you have a UC100 or simular).

There are a number of different jog settings. You want cont and keep your jog speed at 100%. Just for the heck of it since you have the couplers removed and the motors can run freely you can always run one of the test gcode files and see what happens.

I've heard of some computers and windows causing such issues. Make sure you're using the lowest kernel setting (25k). Kinda hard to troubleshoot computer issues unless you have another you can try. If nothing else check all your parallel port settings etc per the Mach manual. Personally I'd remove Mach 3 completely and reinstall. For testing, turn your velocity way down (20-50) and lower your acceleration to about 3-5 to test. Start low. Once you find the issue raise the vel then the acel (raise each until you lose steps and then back down some) to find your optimum capability motor tune settings. There are some other settings in mach that can cause issues. There is a Mach 3 xml file for the G540 available on the Geckodrive.com web site. Download it and install it when/if you reinstall Mach. Be sure to change to the correct port and pins settings if yours are different. Also lower the Vel/Accel settings if they are higher than suggested starting values.
    Good luck

Last edited by coherent; 03-01-2017 at 03:00 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by coherent View Post
    I'm assuming you double checked all your wiring to ensure it's correct and you have the proper value resistors on your stepper cables/connectors?
    If you made your own cables check your cables with a meter to ensure you don't have a bad connection or short anywhere. Also check the voltage from your power supply if you haven't to ensure it's operating correctly. Also assuming you're using a machine with XP x32 and not a x64 OS or a newer version of windows (unless you have a UC100 or simular).

There are a number of different jog settings. You want cont and keep your jog speed at 100%. Just for the heck of it since you have the couplers removed and the motors can run freely you can always run one of the test gcode files and see what happens.

I've heard of some computers and windows causing such issues. Make sure you're using the lowest kernel setting (25k). Kinda hard to troubleshoot computer issues unless you have another you can try. If nothing else check all your parallel port settings etc per the Mach manual. Personally I'd remove Mach 3 completely and reinstall. For testing, turn your velocity way down (20-50) and lower your acceleration to about 3-5 to test. Start low. Once you find the issue raise the vel then the acel (raise each until you lose steps and then back down some) to find your optimum capability motor tune settings. There are some other settings in mach that can cause issues. There is a Mach 3 xml file for the G540 available on the Geckodrive.com web site. Download it and install it when/if you reinstall Mach. Be sure to change to the correct port and pins settings if yours are different. Also lower the Vel/Accel settings if they are higher than suggested starting values.
    Good luck
    Thanks, will check all that. There is definitely something consistent keeping the motors from running smoothly. I adjusted the velocity and accel low (very low - to the point I wouldn't want them running that slow) and the lack of smoothness in the motors still exists

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you using the parallel port? If so, run Drivertest.exe in the Mach3 folder and see what the results look like.
    Also, try setting the pulse width to 15.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Are you using the parallel port? If so, run Drivertest.exe in the Mach3 folder and see what the results look like.
    Also, try setting the pulse width to 15.
    parallel port yes. I ran drivertest. starting off saying pulsing too slow, then too fast, then excellent, stable, excellent. I'm not sure what I'm looking for though?

I tried the step & direction pulses @ 15 in the motor tuning screen. I'm hoping that's what you meant anyway, since the range is normally 0-5? at 15 it didn't help

Downloads
    Uploads

You're looking for a flat line with no spikes. And if your kernel speed is set to 25Khz, you're looking for a stable pulse rate close to 25,000, that doesn't vary by very much.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    You're looking for a flat line with no spikes. And if your kernel speed is set to 25Khz, you're looking for a stable pulse rate close to 25,000, that doesn't vary by very much.
    there's a ton of spikes, I think we might be on to something kernel was 25. how to fix? thank you

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

eeek. is this running on a 32bit XP computer? All other unnecessary programs, processes and services stopped etc? Looks like a windows/port issue to me. I'm sure Ger will have some helpful feedback and suggestion on how to fix it. .

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by coherent View Post
    eeek. is this running on a 32bit XP computer? All other unnecessary programs, processes and services stopped etc? Looks like a windows/port issue to me. I'm sure Ger will have some helpful feedback and suggestion on how to fix it. .
    ya 32bit fresh XP install everything in startup off, everything not needed in BIOS off, services-idk, no mention of that in Mach3 requirements. CPU usage 0% anyhow

ugh, might just take the easy way out on this one and get a different computer. the time taking to fix has exceeded the value already lol

Downloads
    Uploads

Couldn't hurt to try another computer. I have seen folks who had issues, couldn't find the cause and when they changed computers everything was fine. Unless Ger21 has some advice to try first, I'd go that route to at lease eliminate the possibility of it being the computer.

Downloads
    Uploads

If windows is using ACPI mode, change to Standard mode.
    This may require re-installing Windows.

Your pulses per second are about 200, ±20 or so, with the occasional spike to around 1500. They should be at 25,000, and as steady as possible.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Another option instead of a new computer, is to use a motion controller like the UC100, instead of the parallel port.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

FIXED!!!! It was the stupid ACPI mode!!! switched to Standard PC and everything is wonderful. Thank you all!!! (ger21 you nailed it)