G540 - 4 motor connection problem

Thread: G540 - 4 motor connection problem

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default G540 - 4 motor connection problem

Hi guys,

I have just purchased and installed G540 4-Axis kit Stepper Motor | Stepper Motor Driver | CNC Router | Laser Machine | 3D Printers For SaleG540 4 axis kit.

All of the motors, in any combination, seem to work correctly by themselves, or two or three of them plugged into the G540, but as soon as all 4 of them are connected at the same time, I get a fault anywhere from 5 seconds to 30 seconds later.

The motors are 3.5 Amp per phase,
    Power supply is 48 Volt 12.5 Amp,
    All of the motors have 3.48K resistors installed on their DB9 connectors.

I'm at a loss, but the issue seems to have something to do with power supply, or the resistor setting, as it only ever occurs when 4 motors are connected, sometimes even without moving them.

I've read other threads, which all mention power supply, but then ppl point out 7 Amps should be fine, and I'm not even moving the motors sometimes. I have 18 Gau wire between the power supply and the gecko.

Any thoughts?

Nick

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G540 - 4 motor connection problem

Hi Nick

first if your using the charge pump try switching it off to disable it
    just incase there is a problem with the 10KHz signal being sent to printerport pin 16

it could be the switch mode power supply you have does not work with the G540 you have

in one thread here I have read have had an increasing number of G540's sent back for testing and found its the power supply at fault

or you have a version of the G540 that needs sending back to Geckodrive for modification
    as they found the resistor that is used to measure the supply current needs changing - they made a production change to fix the problem

contact Geckodrive for instructions to fault find your G540 and depending on the result return for replacement

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John,

My G540 is rev 8, so the latest version, the charge pump is disabled, but the funny thing is, it only occurs with all motor attached.

Gecko have been in contact with automation technologies, and they are sending gecko one of my power supplies for testing, as this may be happening to a few customers. - to try figure out what the issue is - may be the power supply

I received an email from automation - mentioning that I may need to add capacitance ( 63 Volt 1000UF capacitor )

Sounds like they will wait for Gecko to complete the testing first, before recommending where to install this.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another thought

To troubleshoot the power supply, I have a Mastech 30 Volt 10 Amp variable DC switching power supply.

Should I plug this in ( although it's only 30 volts, and the other one is 48 volts ) and see if there is a difference?

Nick

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Nick

I would try the Mastech power supply

if it powers up OK with four stepper motors
    you will know the power supply supplied in the kit is the problem

John

Last edited by john-100; 01-28-2017 at 06:31 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by john-100 View Post
    Hi Nick

I would try the Mastech power supply

if it powers up OK with four stepper motors
    you will know the power supply supplied in the kit is the problem

John
    Well I did, and it worked no fault, then I tried the keeling, 48 volt , faulted, adjust voltage to 50, faster fault. Decrease to 46 faulted after 5 mins, 44, took 20 mins and lots of simultaneously driven moves, but faulted, wound pot all way back, 42.5 volts, no fault so far.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is the charge pump disabled? Is your power supply regulated or unregulated?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Charge pump tried both abled and disabled

no idea - it's a switching power supply. - the voltage out of it is steady when it faults
    the current draw is around 3 amps

The other switching power supply works, but it is half the speed, I did have one fault even with that one being used

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dachopper View Post
    Charge pump tried both abled and disabled

no idea - it's a switching power supply. - the voltage out of it is steady when it faults
    the current draw is around 3 amps

The other switching power supply works, but it is half the speed, I did have one fault even with that one being used
    I would try an unregulated power supply if you have one. I know that some people use switching (regulated) power supplies without problems, but I don't know if they oversize them. Plus, it's so easy to build your own unregulated PS. Just buy an appropriately sized transformer, capacitor, and full-bridge rectifier and wire it up. You just have to remember that the DC voltage is going to be 1.4 times the rating on the transformer output.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would love to - but where I am, I cannot even get ahold of another 48VDC power supply period. It would have to be imported from O/S, so I need to wait for an answer from the store I bought the kit from / Gecko

Downloads
    Uploads

dachopper,

Where are you located? If you are in the US, please shoot an email over to geckonoelle@geckodrive.com and Noelle in our office can send you a return label for the G540 so we can check it out here to see if there is anything that is acting up on the drive.

Edit: Nevermind, saw the location on your profile. I believe your G540 may be here for evaluation already.

Marcus Freimanis
    www.geckodrive.com