Newbie G540 and Chinese VFD setup help please?

Thread: G540 and Chinese VFD setup help please?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default G540 and Chinese VFD setup help please?

Ok, I have jumped neck deep into my first time in the CNC world. I bought a 6040 Chinese machine, and from what I read on here, I ordered a G540 at the same time. I never even plugged it in with the original electronics. Have the G540 up and running, but am stumped on the VFD that came with the machine and how to connect it to the 540. Will this need a relay for the VFD? I am not above replacing the VFD too at some point, just need to show the wife this thing actually works before I drop any more money into it. Including pics with this as well. The model number on the VFD is PRT-E1500W. Thanks.
    The three wires you see connected on the left were connected to the Gecko. I have since disconnected them since I wasn't able to control the spindle from Mach3 that way. It could be that I haven't gotten everything set right in the software too though.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G540 and Chinese VFD setup help please?-20170118_110551-jpg   G540 and Chinese VFD setup help please?-20170118_110538-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G540 and Chinese VFD setup help please?

You need to provide more info before other try to help you

Specs of you VFD (Volts, Frequency, Amps)
    Specs of your spindle (Volts, Frequency, Amps, RPM)
    Is the spindle water / air cooled? If water cooled do you have the water pump?

Do you have a user’s manual? If yes and it’s only a couple of pages, post them otherwise post the description of the VFD terminals

Looks like the VFD is not programmable so it will save you the trouble to do it

Perhaps it may be better to post this tread at the “Spindles / VFD” section on this forum

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

its hard to see from the 2 photos , but this could be the connection for the G540 to control the spindle speed

G540 and Chinese VFD setup help please?-possible-analogue-jpg

a copy of the manuals and detailed photos of the connection between the speed control board and the control panel is needed

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Also take a look at this post:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/spindl...ml#post1995066
    You should be able to use the FWD and COM terminals, if you want to make a simple confirmation, set your meter to Volts and measure between COM and FWD, it most likely will measure 24vdc with COM being -ve.
    Next switch to the Ma current range and measure the current from COM to FWD, if your VFD is set to run the spindle could rotate, so take a brief reading.
    It most like is under 50ma. The Homann print shows a 20AMP relay which is overkill, in any case.
    If so you can use the method outlined in the above post.
    Do you have the manual for the VFD?
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a copy of a VFD used in one version of the 6040, I am not sure if it is 100% compatible but I believe it is from the same manufacturer.
    If needed I can post it and if too big, send it by email.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

I suspect the relay specified in the Homann wiring diagram was simply chosen from the limited range sold by Homann Designs !

a quick look for telecom relays with 48V DC coils and "dry contacts" for signal switching didn't find any usful results with screw or push on 1/4" blade connectors
    relays found either needed to be pluged into expensive sockets or mounting on a PCB

John

Downloads
    Uploads

The bottom line is that in the majority of cases a relay is not required.
    Al.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G540 and Chinese VFD setup help please?-rlyflipflop-pdf  

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

I am in the same situation as gbraddam72.
    I have bought a 3 axis 6040 with a controller box including a BOB, 3 TB6560 drivers, a VFD and a 24VDC power supply.

- The VFD looks exactly like the one gbraddam72 has.

- The input john-100 outlined on the photo are the ones of the potentiometer for manual speed control.

- Initially i had AVI, FWD and COM connected from the VFD to the BOB. The 3 axis and the spindle were controlled by Mach3 without problems.

After purchasing a 4th axis i decided to buy a gecko G540. So i removed the BOB and the stepper drivers, and set up the G540. The 4 stepper motors are functionnal when controlled from Mach3.

My main problem is like gbraddam72 i dont know how to connect the VFD to the G540. The G540 manual wants me to connect 3 wires from VFD to G540:

- The VFD "AVI" (analog voltage input) to G540 "VFD OUTPUT". No problem for this one

- The VFD "+10v" to G540 "VFD +10VDC". This one was NOT used in the initial setup with the BOB. I understood that its a constant +10vdc outputted from VFD that G540 convert in "VFD OUTPUT" signal by multiplying Mach3 spindle speed percentage with +10vdc. So if 50% max speed the G540 "VFD OUTPUT" should be 5vdc.

- The VFD "COM" to G540 "VFD GROUND" . Again i dont think theres a problem here.

That leaves me with the VFD "FWD" input that was connected to my initial BOB. I understood that "FWD" and "REV" are input for controlling the CW and CCW rotation of the spindle. But is "FWD" also used to start the spindle? Because with the only 3 input the G540 manual ask me to connect, the spindle dont start. The VFD control screen stay in STOP mode.

Thank for any help you guys can offer me. I dont have the VFD manual. I also dont have the initial BOB anymore.

EDIT: I forgot to mention i am now using a 48VDC power supply with the G540

Downloads
    Uploads

You WILL need a relay, or could wire a simple switch. Continuity between the VFD FWD and GND acts as an enable signal to enable operation of the spindle. No power or current flows (only logic level signal). On my machine I wired a very small relay so that when a pin I configured in Mach (you can use either the "spindle on" or "FWD" signal) goes high, the relay closes. Wire the two VFD pins to the common and NO ( normally open) pins of the relay. All you are looking for is continuity between VFD FWD and and GND pins.

If you also are using the spindle in reverse, you will need a second relay, and map the REV signal, and do the same for VFD REV and GND.

You could also wire a simple switch, but an automatically controlled relay is more convenient and probably much safer.

Downloads
    Uploads

With the G540 you don't need the relay, see http://www.cnczone.com/forums/spindl...ml#post1995066
    Works slick.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

You are correct, I never realized the G540 "output" pins are simply a switched connection to ground. Could of saved the $5.99 the relay board cost me!

Tubular latex pressure vessel configuration engineer

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi gbraddam, I think im in a similar boat to you, as i also recently purchased a 6040 CNC (Beige, branded CNCEST) containing a PRT-E1500W and also upgraded to a G540
    I had numerous issues getting the VFD to be controlled by Mach3 with the supplied config file, though I did get it to work after copying the settings from the config file into a new profile.
    Are you getting any voltage output from the VDF output on the Gecko?

I have mine wired up;
    COM - VDF Ground (7)
    AVI- VDF output (8)
    +10 - VDF +10VDC (9)
    For basic testing, I shorted FWD to COM to get the spindle to move. I need to check the current and see if i can connect it directly to the G540

I'm Currently having issues driving the stepper motors on my device from the G540, have you had any luck getting the supplied motors to move?

Regards
    Ben

Last edited by RaptorZ; 04-30-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gbraddam72 View Post
    Ok, I have jumped neck deep into my first time in the CNC world. I bought a 6040 Chinese machine, and from what I read on here, I ordered a G540 at the same time. I never even plugged it in with the original electronics. Have the G540 up and running, but am stumped on the VFD that came with the machine and how to connect it to the 540. Will this need a relay for the VFD? I am not above replacing the VFD too at some point, just need to show the wife this thing actually works before I drop any more money into it. Including pics with this as well. The model number on the VFD is PRT-E1500W. Thanks.
    The three wires you see connected on the left were connected to the Gecko. I have since disconnected them since I wasn't able to control the spindle from Mach3 that way. It could be that I haven't gotten everything set right in the software too though.
    I never got the Chinese dung control board to work.... Tossed it right into the circular file cabinet.... I have a 6040... 1.5kw askpower a131 vfd... 800w air cooled spindle.... G540 drive.... Ess (ethernet smoothstepper)... This stuff is pie in the sky man! Everything runs awesome... Vfd is manual control now which is fine but am now doing research here to get it hooked up to G540... Will try some things this weekend, seems pretty straight forward. Tell your wife the money you paid was for 6040 frame and spindle, etc.... GET THE ESS ASAP!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a Chinese 6040 800w water-cooled with NowForever VFD (that I control manually). I removed the driver board, drivers and motors, and 24V PSU. I bought a Gecko G540 that I want to replace everything with. I installed a new 48V PSU, but I don't know how to hook everything up to the G540. My initial thought was to hook all wires that were on the old PSU onto the new PSU just like they were. The only wires left were on the old board (2 fan wires, 1 ground wire from power switch, 2 wires to touch plate and 2 for E-stop). Is it OK to hook the PSU up like the old one? Manual control of the VFD is fine for me. I have been down for 2 weeks and this is driving me crazy. I've looked at all kinds of schematics but I don't want to plug anything in and ruin it. Is it possible to convert this thing over to use G540? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

Farrell, I feel your pain. I have the same CNCEST 6040 mill and I have flushed everything in the control box except the power supply, E-Stop switch, which btw was wired wrong and the VFD power supply. The rest of the electronics are GARBAGE. I'm installing a GeckoDrive G-540 with a giant heat sink. My only issue is the wiring of the VFD to the GeckoDrive. Good luck with your machine, I'll be watching for your resolution.

Demohis5150.