Gecko 320 was working.. heat?

Thread: Gecko 320 was working.. heat?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Gecko 320 was working.. heat?

Today I placed all the lose electronics (Gecko 320s, VFD, breakout board, etc.) for my IH mill into a metal enclosure. Everything seems to be working fine for the most part except one axis faults pretty easily where before it did not at all. I was wondering if the additional heat from being in the enclosure might be having something to do with it? I measure the Gecko 320s at 105 degree F. The fault occurs on the Y axis but the chance of a fault occuring increases several times if I rapid the X axis at the same time.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by kentavv; 12-25-2006 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Additional information

Downloads
    Uploads

That seems way too hot.
    I don't see any spec in the 320 manual but I would imagine the 203 would have similar temp specs.
    The case temperature
    (measured on the bottom plate) should not exceed 70 degrees C, and for best life should be kept to 50 degrees or
    less. Use heatsink compound between the G203V and the heatsink.
    I have not used a 320, so I could be wrong. Wait for someone with more Gecko experience to respond before you come to any conclusions.

Downloads
    Uploads

Putting on my metric hat.... 70 C is way above what I am seeing and 50 C is also a decent ways above... Thanks for the info - does not sound like heat is the problem.

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh 70C.
    Sorry Wildcat, I wasn't paying attention.
    Nevermind.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The current settiing on a 320 can cause a drive to fault if the setting is too low. This may or may not be the problem.

If the possibility of a fault increases when you rapid another axis at the same time, I would recommend monitoring the power supply voltage. Maybe the voltage is dropping under load, which would cause an increase in servo current, which could cause the units to fault.

Jerry

Downloads
    Uploads

I tried bumping the limit up to max (which is in excess of what is recommended for this motor) without any improvement over the halfway point (what is recommended for this motor). I moved the mill yesterday and I am leaning more towards that as the source of the problem now.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It could be a partially made power supply connection somewhere in the system. Partial connections will pass voltage, but the current will see a resistance at the connection limiting current somewhat.

Jerry

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Geckos fault often since their trip range is just +- 127 counts. Whats your encoder resolution? Gecko's don't work well above 400-500 counts.

Get a true PID servo that has a programable trip range, and proper fault output.