Having some problems understanding GWizard

Thread: Having some problems understanding GWizard

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Having some problems understanding GWizard

Hello,

I am newby to CNC routing so likely doing something wrong. I am trying out Gwizard and usually it has been doing well and am having success with basic machining ops on 6061-T6 aluminum.

Once in awhile the program frustrates and confuses me. Today is example. No , matter what I try to vary, I either get warning about rubbing, chip load too low or tool deflection value turns to red, which I assume means you are pushing tool to limit. I have already broken several end mills and getting expensive!

Anyway, now I am trying this and entering in gwizard as follows ( I have previously entered data for my specific machine in setup.)

Material: Alum 6061-T6
    Tool: End mill Solid Carbide 2 flutes Diameter 2.381 mm (3/32")
    Stick out: 15 mm
    Full slot width cut (2.381)
    Material thickness machining on: .125"

I try all kinds of different depths of cut, go into optimizer try different selections, Rough/finish etc, leave depth and width, optimize feed rate, optimize depth etc etc. No matter what I try I get warning about rubbing low chip load or see tool deflection value light up red or both warnings at same time. Isn't Gwizard supposed to tell calculate values to use to avoid these warnings of potential problems?

Thanks for advice

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Having some problems understanding GWizard

" I have previously entered data for my specific machine in setup." - are these values secret?. Maybe your spindle spindle is not fast enough for so small end mill, maybe not enough HP (hard to imagine but who knows ) or max feed is too low.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks I figured it out. Needed to insert very low depth of cut rate to come up with no warnings in GW. This seemed odd because I irst left the DOC value blank as instructed in product tutorial and it gave a significantly higher value than what ended up working when manually tweaking the value way down. The values arent "secret", no. It is a 6040 style gantry router with 1.5 kw spindle of brand CNC-Carving (chinese). 3000-24000 spindle rpm range.

Downloads
    Uploads

I wouldn't run that spindle below 7000-8000 rpm for very long if you want it to last. Never at 3000.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the tip. I have read that these like to run at higher rpms so try to gear things towards that. So far the lowest I have machined is around 7000 but I have found is much nicer if one can maintain higher rpms, less vibration of overall machine, less resonant vibration etc. With that it means using smaller diameter cutters but of course everything must be perfect or is easy to break them. Biggest diameter end mill I have used so far is 6mm and I try to use the single flute ones on aluminum as much as possible to allow for highest spindle rpm.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am glad you emphasized not to run at low RPM because I did not realize it was actually hard on spindle and I will certainly know even better now to avoid this and luckily have not used it at lower RPM's.