My first G Code from Mastercam.

Thread: My first G Code from Mastercam.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default My first G Code from Mastercam.

Hi all (Noobie here),

Need help to decipher this G Code I just got out from Mastercam. Its from the Mastercam tutorial.

I ran the G Code in mach 3 and its just too slow. How to improve the speed of the cycle. Thanks in advance.

PHP Code:
     [ATTACH]37290[/ATTACH

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

1st i would do the left holes first, then move to the right to eliminate travel.
    so
    x15y35
    y-35
    x100
    y35

then start from the hole you ended on and do the same for the drill.

2nd ,i assume that the endmill isnt coming down into the part, would be to feed faster or even rapid to the desired z depth.you can also rapid out of the part.

getting rid of the n lines for every line will help a little.

that's all for me for now, metric hurts my head.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

070514-1303 EST USA

alexccmeister:

In what part of the program is execution slow?

What does F 1.5 equate to in Inches per Minute?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all,

Thanks for the input. Gar I think you hit the spot there. F1.5 is i think 1.5mm/min or 1.5inch per min. Thats way to slow. I need to up that in order to get a decent speed. Thanks. Will try to change that and see.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have changed the settings in my motor tuning and the rapid move improved somewhat. I increased the feedrate and they are reasonable. But I have seen faster rapid moves in some g code before. How do I achieve this. Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

If your machine is set for Metric input then the feed rate is usually indicated as mm/min so the equivalent of say 10"/min is 254 = F254.
    I notice you have F.9 and F3. etc.
    The machine has to be capable of course of achieving the max. feed rate you are looking for.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Al,

I think I solved the problem. Its the step/unit setting I am always getting wrong. I have adjusted the figure as per steps/mm and not steps/inch. So the figure is much less. Its working fine now.

I am not sure though why MCX writes such a low feedrate. Is there a setting in MCX I missed to adjust the feedrate before post proccessing?

Thanks for all your help. My next step in learning G code is trying to simplify the code produced by Mastercam X. Looking at the code is just mind boggling.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

you can change in your set up go

Downloads
    Uploads

I dislike MasterCam X so I stick with v9, but I'm sure X has the same option of changing your feedrates for every tool as you select it. I program lathes so some things will be a little different. Some lathe operations also allow setting a plunge feedrate. I set my feedrates when defining the parameters for that operation, but MasterCam allows you to set up material files in which you set the feedrate for each type of tool as a percentage from a given value (set by you). You then select the material being machined and tell it to use the material feedrates, and MasterCam will output feedrates based on those percentages. Or you can let the software give you the feedrate from the tool itself. This value can be set by you for each tool and saved in a tool file.

My rough turning tool is set up with F.01, finish turning with 1/64R insert at F.003, etc. If I am running soft material, I may change that F.01 to F.012 or more when I define the roughing operation.

I hope I described this correctly, and clearly. It is way past my bedtime!

Edit: Oops. Told you it was late. Now that I've had some rest it has dawned on me that I may have given you wrong information. Surface feet is taken from the materials, but I don't think feedrates are. I never use this option, so I would have to look to be sure. Can't do that until Tuesday. Next time I will try to be sure of my facts before commenting. My apologies.

Last edited by g-codeguy; 05-27-2007 at 09:34 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by alexccmeister View Post
    Hi Al,

I think I solved the problem. Its the step/unit setting I am always getting wrong. I have adjusted the figure as per steps/mm and not steps/inch. So the figure is much less. Its working fine now.

I am not sure though why MCX writes such a low feedrate. Is there a setting in MCX I missed to adjust the feedrate before post proccessing?

Thanks for all your help. My next step in learning G code is trying to simplify the code produced by Mastercam X. Looking at the code is just mind boggling.
    Yes, you missed it. When you selected the tool, there was a place to set the feedrate. You don't have to accept the one that is there. Once you have tested the program and found changes that need to be made, you can go to Operations Manager, Parameters, and make the changes.

Not sure how you will "simplify" the code. There are ways to make the program more efficient. Lead in and lead out are two of the places I would start working on first. Defaults are usually too big. Using canned cycles will also shorten a program considerably.