Need Help! tool wear issue

Thread: tool wear issue

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question tool wear issue

running a basic rectangular program to contour a part on a haas mini mill. problem is the tool is resin bonded and eats away slowly and by the time the tool finishes the first pass its not removing any material. is there a way to set up tool wear in conjunction with distance traveled? A macro possibly that says after a distance of one inch is travelled tool diameter would reduce 0.0001".

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: tool wear issue

Sure this could be done.
    Please tell us why

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

using 3m polishing wheels to polish glass, cant figure out how to keep consistent contact during the contour because the tool is wearing to quickly.

if anyone can refer me to a forum or link to a site that could help me that would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by morrowre; 08-03-2017 at 12:32 PM. Reason: additional information

Downloads
    Uploads

Edge polishing?, How is the original cut made? how is that cuts quality? How about multiple passes in a reversing direction stepping inward each pass? What is the time/length of pass? describe the pads and machine, more info gets better answers.
    Here is my glass wizard, https://www.sandiegounified.org/scho...even-v-correia

Downloads
    Uploads

Can we do that? Of course, we can do anything we want!

You wouldn't be able to adjust the wear in a cut, but you could adjust after a pass, sure.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

that's what I needed to know fletch, thank you. was hoping there was a way to have machine compensate for constant wear while program was running.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You could break your pass down into smaller sections allowing you to compensate for the wear at multiple points. For example, lets say your 3mm polishing wheel needs to travel in a straight line from X0. to X3.5. While we start at X0. I imagine you are running something like this:

%
    (Starting at X0.)
    G54 G90
    G01 F10. X3.5
    %

Instead, we can move from our starting position to X3.5 in steps as such:
    %
    (Starting at X0.)
    G54 G90
    G01 F10. X0.5
    X1.0
    X1.5
    X2.0
    X2.5
    X3.0
    X3.5
    %

As Fletch_CNC said, we can't adjust for wear during a cut, but we can adjust for it after a pass. What this does is it sets up each coordinate as its own 'pass' and we can adjust for wear after we hit each coordinate. I'm not sure how much you know about macro programming, but you can change your wear values while a program is running by changing variable values. On a Haas minimill, the tool diameter wear is adjusted with settings #2601-2800 based on your active tool (#2601 = tool 1 wear, #2602 = tool 2 wear, #2603 = tool 3 wear etc.). So now after each coordinate is reached it would look something like this:

%
    (Starting at X0.)
    (Assuming tool 3 is used)
    G54 G90
    G01 F10. X0.5
    #2603= [#2603 -.001]
    X1.0
    #2603= [#2603 -.001]
    X1.5
    #2603= [#2603 -.001]
    X2.0
    #2603= [#2603 -.001]
    X2.5
    #2603= [#2603 -.001]
    X3.0
    #2603= [#2603 -.001]
    X3.5
    %
    This changes your diameter wear by .001 at each coordinate. Again, not sure how much you know about macro programming but there are ways to make it look a little bit more elegant and involve much less typing as well doing things like Aliasing a g-code. If that's something you're interested in I could explain how to do that as well. I hope this makes sense!