Need Help! How to define work spaces in the G-code itself

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to define work spaces in the G-code itself

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to define work spaces in the G-code itself

To make sure my different work spaces (fixture offsets) are correct, I like to be able to define them in the G-code itself, not by editing the offset table in Mach4.
    How can I do that?
    Bertho

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to define work spaces in the G-code itself

Quote Originally Posted by Bertho View Post
    To make sure my different work spaces (fixture offsets) are correct, I like to be able to define them in the G-code itself, not by editing the offset table in Mach4.
    How can I do that?
    Bertho
    Just use a different offset for each, G54 G55 G56 G57 G58 G59, this is the standard number of offsets, and I'm sure Mach4 has a lot more than this that can be used, each one can be used in your program, and each one would have the fixture offset X------ Y--------- positions set

You can also use just ( 1 ) offset G54 and just have a G90G0 X0.0Y0.0 next where ever it might be G90G0 X3.5Y2.1 Etc moves to each fixture position

If you want each offset to be a 0.0 position then use a different offset call for each G54/G59

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bertho View Post
    How can I do that?
    Bertho
    Fanuc uses: G90 G10 L2 P1 X??? Y??? Z???.
    where P1 is G54, P2 would be G55, XYZ are the coordinates stored in the work offset page. I use this method all the time, where I have fixed points on my fixtures.

Downloads
    Uploads

See G10 description starting on page 11.

http://www.machsupport.com/wp-conten...e%20Manual.pdf

Downloads
    Uploads

Then read 'CoordinateSpaces8.pdf' at Coordinate system.

Cheers
    Roger
    (Disclosure: I wrote it.)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

andrew is correct. P1 = G54 and P2 = G55 and P3 = G56...

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi...can anyone explain simply why Fancook uses P1 instead of G54 for the offset....I'm all ears etc.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

They are the same thing. I suspect programmer kinks.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

So, if you had a program that has G54 - G59 in it the Fanuc system would still recognise it and run it?

Which came first.....Fanuc or Mach3?

Would I be right in saying that Fanuc is an industry standard CNC machine controller software costing thousands of $, whereas Mach3 was simplified and designed for the hobby person, is free, and only a few hundred if you are a commercial user?
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Would I be right in saying that Fanuc is an industry standard CNC machine controller software costing thousands of $, whereas Mach3 was simplified and designed for the hobby person, is free, and only a few hundred if you are a commercial user?
    Ian.
    Yes, except that Mach3 is not free, but $175.
    And Fanuc was around long before there was a Mach3.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks.....thank the Lord for that person who wrote Mach3......his blood's worth bottling.

I have the familiar Mach 3 on my computer and wondered, as it's just the "behind the curtain" op system so I don't have to wonder what it does..... what does a Linux screen display look like and will it run a program hand coded with G code that runs on Mach3.

Can you have Mach3/4 or Linux on your computer to run the hand coded G code program.....would the format for the G code program sequence be different with Linux?
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

In the beginning ...
    There were several different vendors of CNCs and they all had their own machine languages. Some people thought this was a Bad Thing (or a total pain in the ass) because programs were not portable. One might agree.

So ... the National Institute of Science and Technology (NIST) got together a large group of CNC people and they developed a common NIST-STANDARD g-code language. Naturally, there were many competing industry groups involved. Naturally there was a LOT of arguing and horse-trading. Some vendors could see the benefit of a Standard, while others refused to go along with the agreement.

Mach3 and LinuxCNC and UCCNC and some other similar free or hobby developments adhere to the NIST Standard.
    Fanuc was obviously influential in the development of the Standard, and they sort-of 'mostly' conform, but not quite.
    Some others persist with their unique languages. They will, over time, either die out or change (a lesson from history).

An attempt has been made in Europe to develop a replacement for g-code. As far as I can see, that was a bit of an academic exercise of little redeeming value, and it has gone nowhere.

Ian: Art Fenerty wrote Mach3 (and Mach2 and .. but not Mach4), but he passed it on the Brian Barker et al. Art now runs Gearotic.com

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow....bless the NIST's cotton socks for creating conformity.

Would the fact that Mach3 is no longer supported, due to Mach4 being worked on for the future, mean that if you have a machine presently running with Mach3 then it will continue to run till the end of time provided you don't import or create some new program from a CAM source that needs to run on a more updated control program like Mach 4 ....whatever.

Where would the "not supported anymore" factor for Mach3 be a problem if it currently runs a machine with Gcode?.......Mach3 is a complete download package so is resident on your HDD....if it works now it should continue to work forever if you only have a need for that version I think......and provided you have the earlier 16.2 and not the 16.8 version that I'm told has a few glitches in it.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

if you have a machine presently running with Mach3 then it will continue to run till the end of time
    A reasonable proposal.
    Of course, if MS Windows or x86 PCs disappear completely, you could be in trouble ...
    If support for the external HW dies - same story.

some new program from a CAM source that needs to run on a more updated control program like Mach 4
    To the best of my knowledge (ie, at this stage), Mach4 will execute the same g-code as Mach3, but hopefully better.
    Mach4 may offer improved Macro suport due to the switch from Crystal Basic to LUA, but I doubt that any CAM programs will ever be able to invoke that extra.
    Mach4 may include features beyond what NIST offers at some stage in the future - or it may not. That is for the future.

You want the Mach3 .062 version - I think that is what you are referring to.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Where would the "not supported anymore" factor for Mach3 be a problem if it currently runs a machine with Gcode?
    When you run into and get "fed up" with some of Mach3's bugs or "issues" that will never be fixed.

Yes, Mach3 will run for as long as you have a PC to run it on. I suspect that there will be tens of thousands of Mach3 users still using it 10 years from now.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Gerry

Well, maybe ...

But if/when ArtSoft do get Mach4 fully developed, and IF they offer a reduced upgrade cost for licensed Mach3 usrs, things MIGHT cascade.
    I am in no hurry to upgrade: Mach3 is working fine for me. But make it worth my while and ...

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

But if/when ArtSoft do get Mach4 fully developed, and IF they offer a reduced upgrade cost for licensed Mach3 usrs, things MIGHT cascade.
    They already offered a reduced upgrade cost, 3 years ago. I paid $140 for my Mach4 license back then. There won't be another reduced price upgrade offer.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I suppose Mach4 is Mach3 with the rough edges being smoothed over....otherwise the new guy would have to re-invent the wheel all over again.

That makes sense if you want to be up and running by Xmas with a new product that is already used by millions(?) in another form.

That is like Mach4 being an old car running on a new road system without the traffic lights or stop sign installed yet......so Mach3 never got all the traffic lights or stop signs fitted before it changed hands, and that is how it stayed never to be updated.

Is Mach4 going to be, or already is in parts, an ongoing developing system or a complete revision in a different format.......is it fundamentally different to Mach3 or the same with extra specs previously not available?

I always get an uneasy feeling when something like Windows goes to another version and it's just the format that you see changing......XP and Win 7 were the best I think....Win 10 is a puzzle.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi....is that $140 a year or one hit?
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I suppose Mach4 is Mach3 with the rough edges being smoothed over....otherwise the new guy would have to re-invent the wheel all over again.
    No, he IS re-inventing the wheel. That's why development has been going on for over 5 years now.

A total new ground up approach was required, because Mach3 became too difficult to just "smooth over". Too many functions and features interact with each other.

Is Mach4 going to be, or already is in parts, an ongoing developing system or a complete revision in a different format.......is it fundamentally different to Mach3 or the same with extra specs previously not available?
    Not really sure how to answer that.
    Mach4 is a completely new program from the ground up. I suspect it will continue to be developed for a long time, unless they go out of business.

Mach4 was designed to address Mach3's shortcomings.

It's more flexible.
    More customizable.
    More powerful.

If a programmer wanted to change just about any aspect of Mach4, the developers have probably made it possible.

My feelings are that they made it un-necessarily complex.
    That, and the length of time that development has taken, led me to UCCNC.
    UCCNC is what I would have like to have seen from a Mach3 replacement. Similar feel and operation, modernized for better performance.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast