Newbie First G-code - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First G-code

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: First G-code

Thanks for that Jim. Someone showed me a right hand rule once and I guess it got me all curfuddled. I think I got it now.
    I start the next routine with a tool load and tool compensation coding, correct?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I think a tool load would be next, M6 Txx, then a, G43 Hxx, for the height comp. But I'm probably missing something here. If I have to I'll actually look it up. I have a bunch of Fadal G-code on my computer. A lot of the formatting will depend on the specific controller you have so all I can give you is just generalities. Does your BP have a tool changer? If not, a G28 (home) M0 (non-optional stop) might be a good way to handle a tool change.

Downloads
    Uploads

No, no tool changer. Just a power drawbar. Can you recommend a simulator I can run gcode on to see how it runs? I have the one from cnc cookbook but cant seem to get it to work.

Downloads
    Uploads

With no tool changer, M0 would be the way to go. BTW, what controller is on your BP? You may as well start writing G-code specific to that controller, not all flavors of G-code are the same, and each controller has it's own little quirks and wants things formatted a certain way.

I've never used a simulator in other than my program. There is a simulation function in Mach3, it's free to download and allows you to run about 250 lines of G-code in the trial version. Or you could download Fusion 360. It's free to hobbyists and small businesses. A bit of a learning curve but has full featured CAM built in with simulation. I have never tried importing G-code into that, but it might be able to do it. I think there is also a simulation plugin for CamBam, another free trial download. I know CamBam will import G-code.

EDIT: it seems you already have Fusion 360

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jim.
    My machine will be running on Mach 4 through a MachMotion controller.
    I have downloaded and started to learn Fusion360. I can finally generate a drawing of a part but can't apply dimensions if it is in 3d, so I converted to 2d pdf where I could insert dimensions. No luck yet on figuring out the CAM function.
    I'll see if CamBam is any easier.

Downloads
    Uploads

Since you are going to be using Mach4, why not download the demo and use it's simulator?

CamBam is simple, but like anything else there is a learning curve. The good news is that I use it all the time for simple stuff and can help you through it. It is also capable of some basic drafting, but is a bit clunky to use.

I can also offer some assistance with Fusion 360 CAM, it's really pretty intuitive once you know what result you are looking for. It's mostly just a matter of getting the settings right for what you want it to do. Understanding the end goal is sometimes the challenge.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jim,
    Thanks for your time. I can't seem to locate the Mach4 simulator. Might you have a link for it?

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry I didn't answer sooner, been in the shop all day. There should be a simulator built into Mach4, just like Mach3. If not, just download Mach3 and play with that. Failing all of that, I'll send you a link to download my CNC software, you can run simulations in it. I didn't suggest that before because I was hoping you could use Mach4 for simulations, since that's what you are going to be working with.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, I'll give Machmotion a call tomorrow to see if they can get me what I need.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12