tnr compensation for circular interpolation on lath

Thread: tnr compensation for circular interpolation on lath

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default tnr compensation for circular interpolation on lath

Hi,

I'm trying to machine tensile bars for a part we make and I can only use one tool to put a 3/16" radius on either end of the reduced section. I'd like to use a 55 degree diamond insert with a .008 tool nose radius. Is there a way to apply a tool nose radius compensation so it doesn't over cut when i try to circular interpolate this?

thanks!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tnr compensation for circular interpolation on lath-question-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: tnr compensation for circular interpolation on lath

You just need to use the proper tool-tip number.
    The cutting point continuously changes so that the nose circle always remains tangent to the defined profile (circle, for example). This is done by the control automatically.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rothe22 View Post
    Hi,

I'm trying to machine tensile bars for a part we make and I can only use one tool to put a 3/16" radius on either end of the reduced section. I'd like to use a 55 degree diamond insert with a .008 tool nose radius. Is there a way to apply a tool nose radius compensation so it doesn't over cut when i try to circular interpolate this?

thanks!
    Hi there I thought if you put a G41/G42 in the program part of said tool it will cut to whatever radius you program?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Timster View Post
    Hi there I thought if you put a G41/G42 in the program part of said tool it will cut to whatever radius you program?
    You guessed it correctly. OP is perhaps not using G41/42 at all!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't tried using G41/G42 yet, not sure how to use it and I wasn't sure if it would compensate for the tool radius to keep it tangent to the profile I'm trying to cut. I'm also not sure what to use for a tool tip number.

Downloads
    Uploads

IMHO, you really should take the time to learn to use G41/G42 for this, to eliminate manual calculation of the compensated values. If you decide to pursue this, it would help to know what control you are doing this on. TNR comp has rules that differ by control.

As for which tool tip number you use, it depends on where you touch off the tool when setting the offset. On a Fanuc, Yasnac, or Haas, for example you could use 0, 3, 8, or 9. I would probably go with #8.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tnr compensation for circular interpolation on lath-tnr-t-setting-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm using a prolight 3000 turning center (pretty sure it's similar to a fanuc controller). Can some one show me an example of using g41/g42? I dont think I'm using it correctly.