'CAD-assisted' manual programming

Thread: 'CAD-assisted' manual programming

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 'CAD-assisted' manual programming

Hi,

we normally program our Bacci Twin 6-axis machine as follows: Design in SolidWorks CAD, export to SprutCAM, post-process to the Bacci Twin (Osai Seris 10 control).

But for simple contours on the XY plane we use a quick and easy trick: in CAD we offset the contour to create the toolpath for the tool centre, and we then 'consult' this 'toolpath' to get the XYZ positions to write simple programs manually.

That works ok - if you position the part in CAD so the XYZ coordinates of the offset profile you 'consult' match the XYZ coordinates you want ot use in the program (which they do if you position the part in CAD with the origin where you want it to be on the part).

But we'd like to know if anyone has taken this a step further: is anyone programming simple 5-axis operations (by simple I mean 'flat' on any of the basic planes XY, XZ and YZ) manually using CAD as a helper to prepare and visualize the toolpath but bypassing CAM?

We're trying to do it - but having hurdles with things like tool length offsets and trying not to have to use UPRs (but we don't mind using G16, G17, G18, G19)!

I've got a feeling it must to be possible - but is anyone doing it?

I'll try and attach an image to clarify, but no promises...

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 'CAD-assisted' manual programming-trazado-del-tcp-en-3d-en-cad  

Downloads
    Uploads

Not 5 axis, but I wrote an AutoCAD macro that let's me draw the toolpath and export g-code directly from what I've drawn. I use it for all my "flat" parts.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, it sounds like like your macro has automated what we do manually in the XY plane: you draw the toolpath in CAD and you derive the g-code from the drawing, and for "flat" parts.

We want to be able to do it for "flat" parts on vertical planes also and not just the horizontal plane. We want to be able to do transitions between work planes and still use the standard XYZ coordinates as our references, even when working on vertical planes.

Anyone know if this is possible?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Not 5 axis, but I wrote an AutoCAD macro that let's me draw the toolpath and export g-code directly from what I've drawn. I use it for all my "flat" parts.
    I wrote an AutoLISP routine to do this years ago also. I used to do what the OP is doing when I first started programming and did so for about 5-6 years until I bought my first CAD/CAM software. And I went so far as doing programming for a 5 axis MotionMaster router with this technique. That is what gave me the motivation I needed to buy CAD/CAM.