Newbie SLOT IN ROUND HEADED BOLD

Thread: SLOT IN ROUND HEADED BOLD

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Post SLOT IN ROUND HEADED BOLD

Hello all,
    I am a newbie. I've got the job of cutting slot in round headed bolt. It is similar to the keyway. The width and depth of cut is 3/16" X 3/16". Material I am using is 1144 stress proof steel. It is a big volume job (20,000 parts). I am just wondering if its possible to cut in one shot having 3/16 end mill with 3/16 depth of cut? what are the consequences that tool and part can have. I will be using carbide uncoated 2 flute end mill. But as this is my first set up I am not sure what tool, how many flutes, speed and feed to use. Please give me some suggestions.
    Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by NIRAV1OO7; 05-13-2013 at 09:49 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is there any reason you can not set up the part horizontally and use a slitting saw with many teeth? Might be worth considering for 20000 bolts, as a slot drill will tend to push to one side, especially when it is worn...

DP

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

this idea worth it. I have finished it in just 3 days. I made a fixture that holds 8 bolts and used a stag saw cutter with 32 teeth. Moreover the tool life is good too. I have produced 20000 parts and the tool still works like new. Thanks for your help Christin