Newbie How to: C-Axis mill mode

Thread: How to: C-Axis mill mode

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to: C-Axis mill mode

Hello,

I'm looking for documentation and exemple to learn how to use the mill mode on a CNC 3-axis Lathe. I'm currently working on a Fanuc iO-TC and I need to make a small flat on the side of a rod.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Karbure View Post
    Hello,

I'm looking for documentation and exemple to learn how to use the mill mode on a CNC 3-axis Lathe. I'm currently working on a Fanuc iO-TC and I need to make a small flat on the side of a rod.
    This will usually vary by machine and model as far as M-codes, etc. and installed options.

What make and model lathe do you have?
    Does it have cylindrical and polar interpolation options installed?
    Do you want to use the side of the end mill (Z-axis tool) or the end of the mill (X-axis tool)?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What make and model lathe do you have?
    Does it have cylindrical and polar interpolation options installed?
    Do you want to use the side of the end mill (Z-axis tool) or the end of the mill (X-axis tool)?
    I'm working on a Hyundai-KIA SKT-21 with a Fanuc iO-TC controller. I never used cylindrical or polar interpolation but think the polar interpolation options is present. Also, for the flat on the side of my rods, I'm looking to use the side of an end-mill (z-axis tool).

I know there's a G/M code to switch mode an refer movement as a Cartesians grid (x, y, z) just like a milling instead of degrees on the c-axis. But I haven't been able to find the documentation on it.

Downloads
    Uploads

I believe you're referring to Polar Coordinate Interpolation (G12.1). In this mode you program X and Y moves (but address the Y as C). If you can't find it in the manual I'll try to find an explanation for you.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to: C-Axis mill mode

Hello dcoupar:

Would you have anything where you have any hole interpolations on the face? I have a situation where i need to put 10 holes on the face. I drill them thru with a .6875 drill, but then
    I need to interpolate a counter bore 1 inch deep and 1.437 dia. Can use a .500 -.625 end mill. I know I need to use the G12.1. I have a Doosan PUMA 700. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Need something to get the hole as round as possible. I have no Y axis. Just X, Z, C.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

bdyenter, you would need a Y axis to interpolate the holes. Best bet, 1.437 dia. tool, with a max dia. shank. For good finish, rough with undersize tool then finish full size. -----John

Quote Originally Posted by bdyenter View Post
    Hello dcoupar:

Would you have anything where you have any hole interpolations on the face? I have a situation where i need to put 10 holes on the face. I drill them thru with a .6875 drill, but then
    I need to interpolate a counter bore 1 inch deep and 1.437 dia. Can use a .500 -.625 end mill. I know I need to use the G12.1. I have a Doosan PUMA 700. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Need something to get the hole as round as possible. I have no Y axis. Just X, Z, C.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

That is correct. With C-axis, holes at any radial/angular positions can be drilled. But, increasing the hole dia in a milling-like operation is not possible. Polygon turning is, of course, possible.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bdyenter View Post
    Hello dcoupar:

Thanks
    If you want to helical you would need some kind of cam software to generate the code, but im not sure how round it will be. I would suggest finding a spot facing cutter with the right dia and use that first then drill the smallest hole after.
    Or you can mill the hole one step at the time with G12.1 code will look something like this (metric)
    G112
    G1 X140.0 Z10.0 F6000.0
    Z5.0
    Z-5.0 F2000.0
    X144.995 C30.046
    G3 X135.005 R30.15
    G3 I2.497 J-30.046
    G1 X140.0 C0.0
    Z10.0 F6000.0
    G113