Rutex R510 A/B Plasma Controller

Thread: Rutex R510 A/B Plasma Controller

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Rutex R510 A/B Plasma Controller

Is someone using the R510 A/B controller from rutex, it looks like a good packed solution for plasma cnc tables. I like the idea of having a THC integrated into the board. It will be great to here if someone is actually using this controller and know about the actual setup experience...
    Regards..
    Hector

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I have one but havnt tryed the plasma side of my router/plasma cutter yet. the company sent me pcut to control the plasma. I will eventually try that side when I get my shop complete. Right now all i am using is the router side with gecko board. You can ask kevin over at k2 devices he is the one that built my machine http://www.k2cnc.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Aksess
    I have one but havnt tryed the plasma side of my router/plasma cutter yet. the company sent me pcut to control the plasma. I will eventually try that side when I get my shop complete. Right now all i am using is the router side with gecko board. You can ask kevin over at k2 devices he is the one that built my machine http://www.k2cnc.com
    And how do you drvie your Z axis. This card does not have a z axis capable of running big servos? it has a Z axis capable of running small motors just for the THC...do I am correct?
    Regards...
    Hector

Downloads
    Uploads

That's correct. I believe the z is good for 24v @ 3a. It does not have an encoder feedback. It is suitable for a THC motor only.

D. Paulson

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dpaulson
    That's correct. I believe the z is good for 24v @ 3a. It does not have an encoder feedback. It is suitable for a THC motor only.
    What kind of motor? a stepper?
    Regards...
    Hector

Downloads
    Uploads

No, just a small dc motor. It does not need to be a servo though.

D. Paulson

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No, just a small dc motor. It does not need to be a servo though.
    but, what kind of accurancy could you get with that kind of motor...?

Downloads
    Uploads

acuracy is good. The THC (z motor) is not used for postioning as the x and y motor are, hence you do not need an encoder. The arc voltage that you want to maintain is user set in the controller. Distance from the plate that you are cutting is measured from the arc voltage. This voltage is compared to the voltage that you have selected. Voltage to low means that the torch is too close. A signal is sent to the THC motor to move the torch up. The arc voltage is continually being checked and the controller either issues an up move, down move or nothing if the voltage is within tolorance.

HTH

D. Paulson

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gentlemen,

You are both on track with your understanding of the Rutex Plasma THC control. I wish I could help you more with your project, but I have no first hand experience with the Rutex THC controls--only the servo products. Technical support for the Rutex THC control will still have to come directly from the manufacturer--in Australia. Vladimir is the person you want to talk to there. He has sold these THC controls for many years and knows the ins and outs of plasma THC. He is the best person (other than some experienced user in the States) to get answers for your questions.

At present, I don't know anyone who is using it. In the past year that I have been supporting Rutex users in the States, I have not been involved in THC sales or support. So, I recommend you go to the Rutex web site and email Vladimir direct on questions you guys have regarding these products--if you run into a limit in your familiarity with them. Sounds like you are doing pretty good at helping one another, however.

Tom Eldredge
    Rutex USA

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Tom,

I have been using Vlad's r510a board as well as the r953 THC board. I had abandoned the use of the r953 board with another controller , not because it didn't work, but because i think the r510a board is a better 1 board solution. I have also had a lot of input with Artur of steelcut. steelcut is a windows based software to control the r510a board. Not only is steelcut a great graphical interface, but with windows, you get to use a flashdisk to move programs to the controller pc that you can't do in a dos based controller. I have not met anyone else in Canada or the US that is using the R510a board . Although I am not an authority on the r510a, I do have a good grasp on how it works.

Last edited by dpaulson; 11-16-2004 at 08:53 AM.
    D. Paulson

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tom,

I have been using Vlad's r510a board as well as the r953 THC board. I had abandoned the use of the r953 board with another controller , not because it didn't work, but because i think the r510a board is a better 1 board solution. I have also had a lot of input with Artur of steelcut. steelcut is a windows based software to control the r510a board. Not only is steelcut a great graphical interface, but with windows, you get to use a flashdisk to move programs to the controller pc that you can't do in a dos based controller. I have not met anyone else in Canada or the US that is using the R510a board . Although I am not an authority on the r510a, I do have a good grasp on how it works.

So you are actually using the 510a...
    What size of table do you have, Im planning a 6x20ft table drived by servos...do you have a idea if the board will be capable of driving servos the size needed to move a high speed plasma torch in this size of table, I havent calculated yet the size of the servos needed, Im just trying to figure out if further reserch on the rutex boards is a good idea.
    Regards..
    Hector

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a 4' x 8' table. I have my servos coupled through a 28:1 transmission and reach rapids of about 500 ipm. The motors do not heat. I have not measured the amps that the motor draws (I should though, just for interest sake). I would not hesitate to use this board on a 6' gantry.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rutex R510 A/B Plasma Controller-table-jpg  
    D. Paulson

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a 4' x 8' table. I have my servos coupled through a 28:1 transmission and reach rapids of about 500 ipm. The motors do not heat. I have not measured the amps that the motor draws (I should though, just for interest sake). I would not hesitate to use this board on a 6' gantry.
    Hi,
    Nice table,
    Do you have a closer pic on the z axis, Im having trouble figuring out a design for the z axis with the type pf motor used in the rutex board. By the way...I have other thread looking for a design partner to fabricate cnc table kits...actually I started the idea of building a table for my use and by the way havng fun...but after that I thought maybe I can solve the problem I have of cutting through 1" thick steel, having fun, and making a new business aout of it. Please browse through my picture gallery and see my fabrication capacities...the idea is to build a kit something like www.shopbottools.com paked in a wood box and shipped to the states and sell it out there to customers...giving them a high end product in a cheap way...i have means of fabricating almost any metal part cheap. So if you are interested my email is haqg@prodigy.net.mx maybe we can find a way of making money out of these and in the way having fun .
    Anyway I'll keep you busy asking you about some doubts I have of this hole rutex thing
    Regards,
    Hector Quintanilla