Anyone cutting anything similar?

Thread: Anyone cutting anything similar?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Anyone cutting anything similar?

I am looking to purchase a kit in February to build a new cnc. Over the years I have purchased parts from both FineLineAutomation and CNCRouterParts. I have been in contact with Fine Line about what I need. I cut skateboards on my machines. That requires cutting up to half inch of solid maple in one pass.
    Experience has taught me that skate bearings and V-bearings are more forgiving than other types of bearings when it comes to handling dust and wood bits on the rails, so Fine Line Automation's standard cnc kits look like what I need. Is anyone cutting the same product, or something similar, with Fine Line's standard kits?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone cutting anything similar?

Sounds like an interesting project, but I'm curious why you need to cut the Maple in one pass...

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

The Saturn machines with linear rails are far superior, and would probably let you make your cuts much faster, with a better finish.
    Linear rails are very tolerant of dust, provided you grease them regularly. They have seals that do a good job of keeping the dust out.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    Sounds like an interesting project, but I'm curious why you need to cut the Maple in one pass...

David
    Skateboards are generally hard maple laminates, so basically about .45 inch thick maple. When pulled from the molds the boards relax at different rates, so they are not exactly the same. Making depth cuts causes too many problems with cutoffs. Chatter, parts flying, board being forced off the vacuum table. One pass allows the excess material to just drop to the table.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's cool, never watched a video of that. I assume there are samples on YouTube - it would be a neat process to watch. We have the Saturn 2x4 and Gerry is right, sealed bearings and a very stout machine - ours has a 3kW water cooled spindle and it's fairly strong, at least for everything I've thrown at it.

David

David

I think the Saturn is better suited for what you want to do. The linear rails will handle the dust just fine. Lubrication schedule is every 40 hours of run time with standard ngli #2 grease

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I thank everyone for their responses.
    I took a good look at the Saturn 2. The Z height clearance is an issue. On top of the usual sacrificial table is another setup table plus the receiver (wood block cut to the same shape as the mold the board was pressed in) set up with a vacuum system to hold the board. Sometimes that can be up to 6 inches, depending on the curvature of the board. plus the board, and add a few more inches for spindle and bit clearance, and there's not much free movement left. When making board molds, the top and bottom need to be secured together and surfaced level for the press. Molds are, again depending on board curvature, 5 to 8 inches thick.
    Also, it is not easy to modify. I am looking to build a two spindle Z axis. The basic kit is more easily modified, and can be added to in the future if I need a larger work area.
    I currently work as a cnc waterjet operator in a metal fabrication shop. Building the table needed is not a problem. I cold even do the custom plates, etc., but do not want to spend the next 3+ months designing, fabricating and gathering parts for the build. A kit is the way to go right now.
    After checking out the Saturn series I contacted Nate Lowrie of Fine Line Automation. He would like to quote a package for me, so I will let him know what I want to do and see where it goes. If there is enough interest, I could continue posting on the progress, maybe post pics and vids of what it takes to make a skateboard and the process of the new machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

After reading the first half of your post my thought was to get a quote from Nate on a special (lower) bed frame. I see from the second half that you were ahead of me.

It's a very rigid frame, which is needed even more when you have high Z axis projects. You didn't give the form dimensions, but the frame design on the Saturn may work as is by jigging between the spars (no spoil board) to hold your forms.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's what I was thinking, Mick. There's about 12" clearance between the cross members on our 2x4 machine. So depending on how big the mold and fixtures are for the skateboard setup you might just be able to take a stock Saturn model and use that.

David

David

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FineLineAuto View Post
    I think the Saturn is better suited for what you want to do. The linear rails will handle the dust just fine. Lubrication schedule is every 40 hours of run time with standard ngli #2 grease

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Where would I find the referenced maintenance schedule and where to apply grease on the linear rails. Seems like that would cause dust collection issues.

Downloads
    Uploads

The bearing blocks should have zerk fittings on them.
    https://www.hiwin.com/pdf/lubricating_instructions.pdf

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Vasawdust View Post
    Where would I find the referenced maintenance schedule and where to apply grease on the linear rails. Seems like that would cause dust collection issues.
    Use NGLI #2 grease and apply into the carriages through the Zerk fitting on each carriage. Recommended Lubrication schedule is every 40 hours of run time or every month.

we recommend lubricating the pinion gear/rack as well on the same schedule. White lithium spray grease is the easiest. Just a quick spray of the rack is all that’s needed. You can also use the same #2 grease you use on the pinions.

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com