New Saturn 2 4 x 4 CNCRP Nema 34 build

Thread: New Saturn 2 4 x 4 CNCRP Nema 34 build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default New Saturn 2 4 x 4 CNCRP Nema 34 build

We took delivery last week on a Saturn 2 with CNCRP Nema 34 Plug & Play. I'm hoping I can get a couple of questions answered here on the forum.

1. What is the procedure for mechanically squaring the gantry to the frame? The gantry is out of square about 5/16" from side to side. With the Y side just touching the bumper, the slave side is about 5/16" off. On other R&P dual drive machines I've worked on, you loosen the gantry interface plate bolts on both sides and run the homing function so that the two side square themselves, then "snug" one side, jog the gantry around and re-home before tightening the both sides. Should I perform the same procedure with the Saturn?

2. We had to modify the A axis e-chain track in order for the cables to be long enough to reach the P&P boxes. Is there any reason we're not thinking of that the track has to extend all the way to the front of the frame?

New Saturn 2 4 x 4 CNCRP Nema 34 build-img_3363-jpg

Thanks in advance,

Mick

Similar Threads:

Default Re: New Saturn 2 4 x 4 CNCRP Nema 34 build

Quote Originally Posted by micknm View Post
    We took delivery last week on a Saturn 2 with CNCRP Nema 34 Plug & Play. I'm hoping I can get a couple of questions answered here on the forum.

1. What is the procedure for mechanically squaring the gantry to the frame? The gantry is out of square about 5/16" from side to side. With the Y side just touching the bumper, the slave side is about 5/16" off. On other R&P dual drive machines I've worked on, you loosen the gantry interface plate bolts on both sides and run the homing function so that the two side square themselves, then "snug" one side, jog the gantry around and re-home before tightening the both sides. Should I perform the same procedure with the Saturn?

2. We had to modify the A axis e-chain track in order for the cables to be long enough to reach the P&P boxes. Is there any reason we're not thinking of that the track has to extend all the way to the front of the frame?

New Saturn 2 4 x 4 CNCRP Nema 34 build-img_3363-jpg

Thanks in advance,

Mick
    Mick, if it’s out that much I would just loosen up the 10 bolts on each of the gantry sides, re-adjust, and then re-tighten. You will need a 6mm hex key to do it.

I see no reason you need to keep the tray extended to the edge of the frame with the configuration of the electronics you have.

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Downloads
    Uploads

So today we got the drive belts, pulleys and mounting hardware that were not shipped with the machine installed and ready for the first motion tests.

Z axis - no issues, very smooth motion. Proximity switch working fine.

X axis - very smooth, but reversed from the keyboard control arrows (Mach3, XML file from Nate). Right goes left, left goes right. Proximity sensor working fine.

Y axis - side to side rotation direction is reversed. Y side moving - and slave moving +.

Any help on Mach3 settings or otherwise on what to check?

Thanks
    Mick

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Saturn 2 4 x 4 CNCRP Nema 34 build-img_3389-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

There's a "Reverse" checkbox in Config > Homing/Limits that will change the direction.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks very much! I'll look for it in the am.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    There's a "Reverse" checkbox in Config > Homing/Limits that will change the direction.
    Well, the homing/limits reverse worked for the X axis, but the Y axis is still reversed. Both Y axis motors are moving opposite of the keyboard direction.

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you swap both Y's, Mick? Seems like if you swap both they'll be running opposite of the way they are now and thus lined up with the keyboard.

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I did. It did reverse both motors, but then I could not home it. The fix was to go into Mach3/Config/Ports & Pins and change the settings for Y and A to checked Dir Low/Active. Got it homing fine now. Nice to see it moving like it is supposed to!

Quote Originally Posted by micknm View Post
    Yes I did. It did reverse both motors, but then I could not home it. The fix was to go into Mach3/Config/Ports & Pins and change the settings for Y and A to checked Dir Low/Active. Got it homing fine now. Nice to see it moving like it is supposed to!
    Glad you got it going. I sent you a new post processor for your other issue.

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Downloads
    Uploads

The fix was to go into Mach3/Config/Ports & Pins and change the settings for Y and A to checked Dir Low/Active.
    That does the exact same thing as "Reverse".
    All you probably needed to do was toggle the Home Negative setting.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not sure why, but when I only did the reverse home settings, it would not home in Y. Z and X were fine. Prox switches fired but it wasn't registering home. I unchecked those settings and checked the Dir Low settings and it homed right away.

i clearly have a learning curve for Mach3 ahead. I'll have couple of weeks to myself starting next week, so that will give me a chance to dive in and get more comfortable with it. I appreciate the feedback. I'm looking forward trying the Mach3 2010 screenset, but I'm holding off to make sure everything is tweaked first.

Downloads
    Uploads

After thinking we finally had Mach3 set up properly for our configuration we discovered that the Y++ limit was not triggering the Estop. The switch itself worked fine, but it wasn't firing.
    I figured out what was wrong and made the correction, but now the machine won't home in Y. It reaches the limit switch and tries to continue forward on the Y side motor.

Here are our config files:

Pulling what's left of my hair out.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Saturn 2 4 x 4 CNCRP Nema 34 build-screenshot-3-jpg   New Saturn 2 4 x 4 CNCRP Nema 34 build-screenshot-4-jpg   New Saturn 2 4 x 4 CNCRP Nema 34 build-screenshot-2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Do the DRO's count up, or down while it's homing?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Down