Newbie Saturn Question

Thread: Saturn Question

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Saturn Question

This is my first Post and this has probably been covered by someone already but I have not seen it. This is for the new Saturn 4X4. I have not purchase but appears to be the best bang for the dollar I can find.

How easy is it to fixture your work pieces vertically? This is to take advantage of Joint Cam software? Can you fixture in front of the machine or do you need to have an opening in the spoil board?

When installing 4th axis, how do you typically setup so it is fairly easy to take on and off?

Thanks for your assistance.

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Saturn Question

We currently don’t have any threaded holes in the side of the cross pieces. We do however have holes in the top for soil board mounting that could be used to mount either a 4th axis or a jig to hold boards vertically for edge work.

There is 7 3/8in between the top of the cross pieces in the table and the bottom of the gantry. I would suggest mounting the 4th axis so the center is right at or slightly below the top of the table cross pieces. If you mount it above the table you will limit yourself on how big of a piece you can turn.

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for the quick response.

Does the spindle go past the front support bar to allow for a vertical fixture? This would allow mounting the fixture on the front of the table and provide a little easier access to the part being machined? Or will this need to be between cross pieces?

Based upon what you have communicated it would appear the spoil board would need to be removed [or part of the spoil board] in order to effectively use 4th axis?

Do you have any photos of this being done?

The leg kit - what is the availability and price?

Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome to the forum! I don't know about the 4x4 but it seems like the spindle goes about a couple of inches past the frame. Nate can give you specifics.

I should have measured it but here's a photo I took a while back -
    Saturn Question-165-y-distance-past-frame-jpg

And it goes this far down -
    Saturn Question-164-z-distance-frame-jpg

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

MisterA,

I am planning to use my system in the same way that you mention. I have the Saturn 2x4 and I am planning to pull the spoil board back to the first cross bar on the frame. I am also considering making the front portion of the spoil board removable. I have not figured out the details of how to mount the work pieces yet, but I plan to add an additional board with T-track for work holding and some sort of edge stop to make sure things can be squared up easily. Whatever I design will have to be trammed or shimmed in to get it square to the system.

-Robert

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

David thanks for the photos. It would appear that there would be sufficient distance to add a vertical fixture in front of the machine. This could be extremely simple, I have seen an example on the Legacy CNC site and Against The Grain used a similar jig when he reviewed Joint Cam..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Robert, when you get your machine setup I would really appreciate some photos.

Larry

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd have to dig through the code, but I don't think that JointCAM will move past the workpiece by more than 1.5x the tool diameter.

So, with a 3/4" fixture plate, 3/4" stock, and say a 1/2" tool, you'd need about 2-1/4". A bit more wouldn't hurt.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DDgitfiddle View Post
    MisterA,

I am planning to use my system in the same way that you mention. I have the Saturn 2x4 and I am planning to pull the spoil board back to the first cross bar on the frame. I am also considering making the front portion of the spoil board removable. I have not figured out the details of how to mount the work pieces yet, but I plan to add an additional board with T-track for work holding and some sort of edge stop to make sure things can be squared up easily. Whatever I design will have to be trammed or shimmed in to get it square to the system.

-Robert
    That's what I did, Robert. It takes a few screws to remove the 1/2" sacrificial spoilboard (not shown) to get to the 3/4" board mounted to the frame. I can remove the entire section or just a portion.

Saturn Question-152-mdf-mounted-plastic-screws-jpg

David

David

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    That's what I did, Robert. It takes a few screws to remove the 1/2" sacrificial spoilboard (not shown) to get to the 3/4" board mounted to the frame. I can remove the entire section or just a portion.

David
    That's pretty much what I had in mind, David. I was thinking about extending the 3/4" bottom layer (mounted to the frame) towards the front a little so that it overhangs the cross frame by 2 or 3 inches, then screwing the 1/2" spoil board into the overhung section. Your method works, too, and provides a little more space.

-Robert

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gerry, have you ever seen anyone use a dovetail jig as a work piece holder for JCam? Use the fixture and not the template. This would reduce the space needed for the spindle to go past the end of the table. Just use the horizontal piece to prevent blow out or maybe do the tails and pins at the same time.

Also eliminates cutting a hole in the spoil board.

Larry

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I may have, but don't really remember. It may have just been something I saw on YouTube?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MisterA View Post
    Robert, when you get your machine setup I would really appreciate some photos.

Larry
    Larry,

Its taken a little while, but my spoil board is finally coming together. I ended up tabbing the front removable section into the fixed section. I will be adding a second layer of 3/4" MDF on top. The removable section will extend slightly past the tabs so that it is fully supported. It will screw into the fixed section of the first layer with plastic screws. Once both layers are in place I will mill slots for standard T-slot extrusions for clamping. The T-slot extrusions will be cut so that part is removable as well. I still need to drill and tap holes in the frame to mount everything.

I'm still learning about setting parts up...you will notice the double set of holes in the removable section. I forgot to offset my zero to account for the tool width. Good thing those are just clearance holes and will be hidden under another layer.

At some point, I will add a vertical clamping board to hold work pieces. I'm still working out how to do that, but I'm considering using the T-slots and the top of the spoil board as the main reference to make sure that parts are vertical.

-Robert

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saturn Question-img_1007-jpg   Saturn Question-img_1008-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I like the way you did that, Robert. The interlocking tab makes sense. I remember when our Saturn was that clean... LOL! Go get it dusty!

David

David