FLA Saturn 4' x 4' Questions

Thread: FLA Saturn 4' x 4' Questions

Default FLA Saturn 4' x 4' Questions

I have only recently been introduced to the Fineline Automation line of CNC routers and have spent the past couple of days reading through this forum about the Saturn line, which seem to be quite capable machines. Reading posts here and then going to the FLA website has left me a bit confused. Hopefully someone here can clear things up.

1. Build threads here mention that all Saturn machines are now shipped with a steel gantry, yet website product descriptions show both 2x4 and 4x4 machines with extruded gantries.

2. There is a Saturn (2) 4' x 4' machine with steel gantry listed, but it does not seem to be the same as those builds posted here and priced a bit higher than posted builds (best I can tell).

3. Has anyone built the Saturn 2 machine? Is that one so new that none have been built yet?

4. Do all Saturn machines come with cable track and home/limit switches? If switches are included, how many are provided?

5. Reading about issues with the FLA R&P drive, and proposed fixes being outlined by FLA, has anyone yet had the opportunity to install these fixes (or received a machine with fixes included) and do they adequately address the reported problems?

6. Several months ago there was talk of a leg kit to be available in the near future. I don't see that available on the FLA website so is there any additional information on that?

If anyone can help with these questions, I'd appreciate that.

Ed

Similar Threads:

Default Re: FLA Saturn 4' x 4' Questions

Quote Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
    I have only recently been introduced to the Fineline Automation line of CNC routers and have spent the past couple of days reading through this forum about the Saturn line, which seem to be quite capable machines. Reading posts here and then going to the FLA website has left me a bit confused. Hopefully someone here can clear things up.

1. Build threads here mention that all Saturn machines are now shipped with a steel gantry, yet website product descriptions show both 2x4 and 4x4 machines with extruded gantries.

2. There is a Saturn (2) 4' x 4' machine with steel gantry listed, but it does not seem to be the same as those builds posted here and priced a bit higher than posted builds (best I can tell).

3. Has anyone built the Saturn 2 machine? Is that one so new that none have been built yet?

4. Do all Saturn machines come with cable track and home/limit switches? If switches are included, how many are provided?

5. Reading about issues with the FLA R&P drive, and proposed fixes being outlined by FLA, has anyone yet had the opportunity to install these fixes (or received a machine with fixes included) and do they adequately address the reported problems?

6. Several months ago there was talk of a leg kit to be available in the near future. I don't see that available on the FLA website so is there any additional information on that?

If anyone can help with these questions, I'd appreciate that.

Ed
    Ed,

The Saturn 2 is a new series that is basically and updated version of the original Saturn series machines. We released it on sept 15th. See https://www.finelineautomation.com/a...g-the-saturn-2 for a detailed overview on what’s changed. We have a few that have shipped out so far that are being delivered this week.

As far as the 8020 gantries go, those are up on the site till I run out of inventory. I have a few of the 2x4 machines and 1 4x4 machines left.

The Saturn series come with mounts for the proximity switches but not the switches themselves. The Saturn 2 needs just 4 switches for both limit and homing functionality on all 3 axes. The Saturn needs 6 switches. The mounting points were completely redone on the Saturn 2 to greatly improve the functionality.

Also, stands for the machines are coming this week.

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Thank you for the prompt reply, and link to the Saturn 2 announcement. I hadn't come across that while visiting your site.

The only other question that comes to mind at the moment, is how do you insure the X and Y rails are perfectly flat and on the same plane? I understand that fixtures are used and internal stresses from welding are relieved, but cold/hot rolled steel is not necessarily flat, at least to the extent needed over a 4 or 8 foot span. Are the rail mounting surfaces machined or ground flat? Do you check for +/- tolerance over the rail length and between the left and right Y rails, or have you found the steel to be flat enough without additional work? What sort of end to end variance should one expect on the X and Y axis?

Thanks again,
    Ed

Thank you for the prompt reply, and link to the Saturn 2 announcement. I hadn't come across that while visiting your site.

The only other question that comes to mind at the moment, is how do you insure the X and Y rails are perfectly flat and on the same plane? I understand that fixtures are used and internal stresses from welding are relieved, but cold/hot rolled steel is not necessarily flat, at least to the extent needed over a 4 or 8 foot span. Are the rail mounting surfaces machined or ground flat? Do you check for +/- tolerance over the rail length and between the left and right Y rails, or have you found the steel to be flat enough without additional work? What sort of end to end variance should one expect on the X and Y axis?

Thanks again,
    Ed
    Ed,

To keep the rails parallel with each other and square with the frame, we use a series of jigs for attachment that hold the rails. As far as the height variance, we have found the steel to be flat enough without additional work. The biggest variance is actually between the cross spar heights. I would expect less than 0.010" variance over the length. All of this can be taken out of the system by installing a spoil board and surfacing it.

Fine Line Automation

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FineLineAuto View Post
    Ed,

The Saturn 2 is a new series that is basically and updated version of the original Saturn series machines. We released it on sept 15th. See https://www.finelineautomation.com/a...g-the-saturn-2 for a detailed overview on what’s changed. We have a few that have shipped out so far that are being delivered this week.

As far as the 8020 gantries go, those are up on the site till I run out of inventory. I have a few of the 2x4 machines and 1 4x4 machines left.

The Saturn series come with mounts for the proximity switches but not the switches themselves. The Saturn 2 needs just 4 switches for both limit and homing functionality on all 3 axes. The Saturn needs 6 switches. The mounting points were completely redone on the Saturn 2 to greatly improve the functionality.

Also, stands for the machines are coming this week.

Hi Nate,

I just purchased my machine on July 25th. Is there any way there is a grace period for the upgrades you mention especially the proximity switches and rack and pinion changes. After following the forum and watching the notes you made with David's machine I was thinking that I was getting these upgrades already. I have actually sent you a few emails over the last several months that have not been answered regarding the proximity switch locations and mounting. I would be happy to pay shipping for the new components. my email is biz at mikehewett.com. Thank you for your consideration.

-Michael

thank you for your consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by meilcowski View Post
    Hi Nate,

I just purchased my machine on July 25th. Is there any way there is a grace period for the upgrades you mention especially the proximity switches and rack and pinion changes. After following the forum and watching the notes you made with David's machine I was thinking that I was getting these upgrades already. I have actually sent you a few emails over the last several months that have not been answered regarding the proximity switch locations and mounting. I would be happy to pay shipping for the new components. my email is biz at mikehewett.com. Thank you for your consideration.

-Michael

thank you for your consideration.
    Michael,

I just sent you an email about this. I'll get them out to you right away.

Fine Line Automation

Your website states "The frame is stress relieved to ensure it's square when it comes out of the fixture". Can you describe that process, at least in general terms?

Thanks,
    Ed

Your website states "The frame is stress relieved to ensure it's square when it comes out of the fixture". Can you describe that process, at least in general terms?

Thanks,
    Ed
    We contract out the frame. The company we use does a post weld heat treatment. Basically it’s a uniform heating of the weldment, holding at temperature, and then a controlled cooling process. In addition, all welded are balanced with a weld on the opposite side.

Fine Line Automation