Problem Spindle Bracket Removal

Thread: Spindle Bracket Removal

Default Spindle Bracket Removal

Working to downsize from a Porter-Cable bracket to an 80 mm Spindle.
    I finally got all the parts and prewired the VFD - so I started the teardown,

I used locktite during build and now I cannot loosen the (10-32 I think) screws more than about one turn.
    Can't tighten back either - guess I shouldn't have used the red stuff.

So, I can't use the router and I can't remove the bracket.

I need my machine up and running ASAP and was looking for advice or the P/N to buy a replacement Z-Axis plate.

Comments welcome

I use the Saturn almost daily and it is a great tool for everything I do.
    Decided to go away from the air cooled router primarily to help manage dust.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spindle Bracket Removal-img_5165-jpg   Spindle Bracket Removal-img_5166-jpg   Spindle Bracket Removal-img_5165-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Spindle Bracket Removal

Put a torch on the screw heads for 30 seconds.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the suggestion - I tried propane and held it on the bolt threads from the back side (removed the Z-axis plate from the machine) for a couple minutes. Still not getting it. I read where the Red needs to be heated to 500 degrees before letting go. Easier said than done using a propane torch on a block of steel the size of the Z-Axis plate. So I'll keep trying but it's kinda tough getting a 1/8 Allen wrench in the pocket with the metal at that temperature.

UPDATE!: With the help of my lovely wife, we were able to heat the entire Z-Axis plate to reach the 500 degrees needed to break the Loctite free. This took about 30 min for the first bolt and another 5 minutes for the following three. Needless to say, both pieces (plate and spindle mount) were pretty hot when we finished.

Last edited by MonsterRobotics; 07-07-2017 at 09:17 PM. Reason: update

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hopefully the linear bearings (that have a lot of plastic internally) that are attached right behind the plate took no damage from the heat...

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterRobotics View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion - I tried propane and held it on the bolt threads from the back side (removed the Z-axis plate from the machine) for a couple minutes. Still not getting it. I read where the Red needs to be heated to 500 degrees before letting go. Easier said than done using a propane torch on a block of steel the size of the Z-Axis plate. So I'll keep trying but it's kinda tough getting a 1/8 Allen wrench in the pocket with the metal at that temperature.

UPDATE!: With the help of my lovely wife, we were able to heat the entire Z-Axis plate to reach the 500 degrees needed to break the Loctite free. This took about 30 min for the first bolt and another 5 minutes for the following three. Needless to say, both pieces (plate and spindle mount) were pretty hot when we finished.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's a little late but it is much easier to use a ratchet with extension through the holes in the front. Mine went on in minutes using the tools shown here (and blue is sufficient for these bolts) - glad you got it off, though.

David

Spindle Bracket Removal-166-tools-fastening-spindle-mount-jpg

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner