Fineline Automation 2'x4' vs Routakit SDX

Thread: Fineline Automation 2'x4' vs Routakit SDX

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fineline Automation 2'x4' vs Routakit SDX

Hello,

My name is Quinn, and I'm a CNC addict! Around 4 or 5 years ago I owned a small Zenbot. It was okay but ultimately it left me feeling like I needed more. These days my 9-5 has me working with a Haas Super Mini Mill, a couple of Chinese CO2 lasers, and a full smd line with a Yamaha YS12F at it's heart.

I'm in the market to purchase a cnc router of my own with the intent to run a small side business making things out of wood, plastics, and aluminum(budget around $2500). Contract type of work, as well as one off's, and personal projects. I'm looking for a footprint of at least 2'x4' so I can build some guitars, and also work on bigger projects than the typical desktop routers are capable of. I've spent a lot of time reading these and other forums.

I'm no stranger to building mechanical, and electrical systems. I use to build motorcycles. I'd fabricate steel parts from flat stock, figure out the electrical systems from scratch, and TIG weld.

I'm hoping to use the machine I purchase to eventually help me build a 4'x8', and smaller steel capable, 5 axis mill down the road. Dream big right?

I've found myself very interested in what Fineline Automation is doing. I've recently stumbled upon the Routakit SDX as well which looks interesting, has a bigger footprint for the money, yet it looks to be much less sturdy than the 2'x4' kit from Fineline Automation. I'd prefer the rack and pinion, but I'm more interested in the Planet CNC controller than the G540/mach path. It looks like I could get the FLA 2'x4' kit, source my own motors, control board/drivers, spindle, and come in around the $2500 mark. I would love the bigger footprint of the Routakit SDX. They also come with a decent spindle and the Planet CNC architecture. But I don't see a very active community over there, and the design looks to have some weak spots that make me nervous for the money. The guy making things happen over there seems very passionate though, and users on the forum seem happy.

I would love some real world experiences from users of these routers. Opinions are welcomed too but we've all got them right? I'm open to other machines or options but I'm not looking to engineer my own from scratch right now. I want too but I realistically don't have the time. I want to make a solid investment, spend a couple weeks assembling and wrestling out the gremlins, and then make some money so I can keep food on the table. Who knows, maybe I can make enough to buy a couple new pairs of pants too. Thanks for listening, Your advise and wisdom are genuinely appreciated.

Quinn Hale

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fineline Automation 2'x4' vs Routakit SDX

Never heard of the Routakit before, but it's along the same lines as an Ox. Meaning very lightweight hobby level machine.
    Don't buy a machine based on what electronics it comes with. Buy whatever control/electronics that you want, separately.
    While Planet CNC is arguably better than Mach3, the G540 is much better than the Planet CNC Drives that come with that kit. But it's 3x the price. The Leadshine M542 is a good mid-range drive. Also look at UCCNC as an alternative to PlanetCNC.
    If you can afford $1000 more, get a Fineline Saturn, which is leaps and bounds better than the standard Fineline.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

For what it's worth I have the Fineline Saturn and I'm very pleased with not only the machine but the after sales support. I did lots of comparing and searching before my last purchase and couldn't find a better machine for the money. It's a beast...very heavy duty and well constructed.

Downloads
    Uploads

We also have the Saturn 2x4 (the prototype, actually, first one Nate sold). It is a very sturdy and rigid machine which helps to maintain accuracy and repeatability. I'll second what Gerry said - if you can swing another grand get the Saturn.

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the replies so far. Yes, I would much prefer going for the Saturn. Being a welder, I have contemplated building a frame like this and purchasing the rack and pinion from FLA. This would be a much cheaper route for me as far as cost of materials goes.

What are you all using for electronics with the Saturn? What are you using for machine control? I am most contemplating:

1. PlanetCNC - Mk3/4 (4 axis) controller and TNG software combo.
    2. CNCdrive - UC300ETH controller(with motherboard?) and UCCNC software combo.

I will confess to being a bit confused by the options though. Is it correct that both of these controller boards connect directly to a computer via USB or Ethernet respectively? It looks like the UC300ETH can be purchased separately from the motherboard they sell, but I'm uncertain in what scenario that I wouldn't need both. I understand that with either board I would need x4 drivers, and x4 steppers as well. Id also like to do the usual homing/limit options, z axis touch plate(fixed, and mobile), VFD control. Maybe something else that I'm forgetting. I can see myself quickly wanting to set up a rotary axis so I suppose that I would need the 9 axis board from PlanetCNC instead? It looks like I would be covered on the UC300ETH.

I feel drawn to the PlanetCNC setup but there isn't a concrete reason why yet. I'm going to downloadd their software and play around a bit. Just check it out. Can I do the same with UCCNC without getting locked out of options? I won't be connecting to any machine. Just want to see user interface.

Quinn

Downloads
    Uploads

Can I do the same with UCCNC without getting locked out of options? I won't be connecting to any machine. Just want to see user interface.
    You can download the demo software and can test out everything without a UC300ETH controller and without a machine.
    Point 2. in the Downloads for this product list: CNCdrive - motion controls

Downloads
    Uploads

It looks like the UC300ETH can be purchased separately from the motherboard they sell, but I'm uncertain in what scenario that I wouldn't need both
    CNC4PC sells their own motherboards designed to work with their breakout boards.
    There's a breakoutboard/motherboard from Hungary that accepts a UC300ETH, but it's pricey.
    CNC Room is making a new UC300ETH breakout/motherboard (UC1) that will accept a UC300ETH directly, but it's a few months away. I'm using a CNC Room MB2 connected to the 5LPT motherboard right now, but will change to their new board when it's available.

A lot of former Mach3 users are switching to UCCNC.

I don't know of too many Planet CNC users. This machine has been running with Planet CNC for several years now, and he's been happy with it.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-wo...rum-posts.html

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    CNC4PC sells their own motherboards designed to work with their breakout boards.
    There's a breakoutboard/motherboard from Hungary that accepts a UC300ETH, but it's pricey.
    CNC Room is making a new UC300ETH breakout/motherboard (UC1) that will accept a UC300ETH directly, but it's a few months away. I'm using a CNC Room MB2 connected to the 5LPT motherboard right now, but will change to their new board when it's available.

A lot of former Mach3 users are switching to UCCNC.

I don't know of too many Planet CNC users. This machine has been running with Planet CNC for several years now, and he's been happy with it.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-wo...rum-posts.html
    I see. So you chose a third party breakout board to sit on the CNCdrive motherboard correct? What was your motive for that? Better specs of some kind? Thanks for your feedback.

Downloads
    Uploads

You can get the UC300ETH-5LPT and then add upto 5 LPT port compatible breakout boards of your choice. CNCdrive - motion controls

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just took a look at CNC Room's website. It looks like that MB2 is the motherboard. It seems as though I'm a bit confused. They sell it as a pairing with the smooth sterpper which I thought was a breakout board. So the MB2 needs a BOB correct? This is where you can choose the breakout portion of the UC300ETH or some other variant? I'll go over specs of some of these options when I get off of work but is there a big reason that people are choosing these variants? More in's or out's? Something else?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    You can get the UC300ETH-5LPT and then add upto 5 LPT port compatible breakout boards of your choice. CNCdrive - motion controls
    What do multiple BOBs give you? Ability to use all 6 axis? Thanks for your patience with the questions? Multiple BOBs connected to one computer?

Downloads
    Uploads

The MB2 is the breakout board. The 5LPT is the motherboard.

I chose the MB2 for it's features. I wanted 24V I/O, and the MB2 is one of the few that offer that.

The "motherboard" on the UC300ETH is a bit confusing.

The UC300ETH is a motion controller, similar to an ESS. The difference is that a UC300ETH by itself has no way to connect to a breakout board, so it's mounted to a "motherboard" to provide "port" connections to a breakout board/boards.

The UC300ETH has 5 ports. The MB2 uses 3 of those ports. Where a simple, basic breakout board only uses one.
    The number of input and output pins you need, determines what you need from a breakout board. And different breakout boards have different features, so again, it's a question of what you want/need.

Most hobby CNC companies use the industry standard parallel port or IDC26 connectors.
    Planet CNC appears to use IDC16 connectors, and has their own breakout boards that work with them. AIt also looks like their stepper drives can plug directly into their controllers..

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by qhale001 View Post
    What do multiple BOBs give you? Ability to use all 6 axis? Thanks for your patience with the questions? Multiple BOBs connected to one computer?
    Multiple breakout boards connected to one controller.
    A single breakout board gives you 3 or 4 axis, and 5 inputs.
    If you need more inputs, you can add more breakout boards. Same thing with outputs.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think i should back up and make certain that i understand the basics. I believe that i may not have my terminology correct. Is this basic flow correct?

Computer --> Breakout Board --> Motion Controller --> motor drivers --> motors

Downloads
    Uploads

Computer (software) > Motion Controller > Breakout board(s) > drives > motors.

The software sends commands to the motion controller, which then sends step and direction signals to the drives. The breakout board facilitates connecting the drives to the motion controller.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Computer (software) > Motion Controller > Breakout board(s) > drives > motors.

The software sends commands to the motion controller, which then sends step and direction signals to the drives. The breakout board facilitates connecting the drives to the motion controller.
    Thank you for clearing that up Gerry. That explains much of my confusion. I think I'm on the same page now.

UCCNC software > UC300ETH > compatible breakout board > motor drivers > motors.