New Machine Build Saturn 4'x4' My Second Build the first time with Clearpath Servos - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Saturn 4'x4' My Second Build the first time with Clearpath Servos

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Saturn 4'x4' My Second Build the first time with Clearpath Servos

WhiteWolf,

One more question for you...What size ClearPath motors did you decide to use? From the pictures, they look like they might be the CPM-SDSK-3421, but did you use 3421S, 3421D, or 3421P. Using the CNCRP 960 oz-in NEMA 34 motors as a baseline, it looks like the 3421S should be reasonable, but I wanted to check my homework with a classmate. I agree with your choice to use the high-res versions for the R&P drives. You could almost get away with a 3411S for the Z-axis, I would think.

Thanks,
    Robert

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ClearPath® - Integrated Servo System (CPM-SDSK-3421S-ELN)

I used those for all 4 with the exception of Z not being enhanced model. I stayed with the same model for the Z as per recommendation from another thread due to the pitch of the screw.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, WhiteWolf. That makes sense. Looks like I might actually be learning a thing or two.

Downloads
    Uploads

Build looks great, hope you are making chips by now I am looking at a 2x4' unit with the steel gantry. I was hoping you might be able to give me some insight on how the steel gantry cross member is bolted to the plates it sits on. Also wanted to get your impressions of the machine over all. Would you do it all over again? Do you feel like the machine was square and true and ready to have electronics mounted without having to do a bunch of reworking of the mechanicals to get it to work right? I feel like on paper this is a great deal, but wanted to see how others are getting along with their machines AND their maker Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

Great looking build! I'm currently looking at either a 4x4 or 4x8 Saturn 2, just curious how you like the machine a few years in?

Downloads
    Uploads

We got our 2x4 Saturn in July 2016 and it's still going strong. I use it almost every day.

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Got mine in summer 2017 and has been used almost every day as well. Couple spindle upgrades and currently installing an Aluminum surface plate. I use to support High School Robotics and odd jobs including bike parts and yard signs - absolutely love it,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123