New Machine Build Saturn 4'x4' My Second Build the first time with Clearpath Servos - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saturn 4'x4' My Second Build the first time with Clearpath Servos

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Saturn 4'x4' My Second Build the first time with Clearpath Servos

@Whitewolf , it certainly looks like there's better contact on the gear rack now . The pinion looks as though it's awfully close to the frame

I don't actually know anything about CNC router tables , but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    Is the pinion rubbing against the frame (last photo)? Ours is about 1/8" away from the frame. I think Nate is working on spacers to retrofit the first Saturn machines or deeper racks for the newer models but I'm not aware of a release date - thought it was in effect for the machines going out the door now, though.

David

Nate will have to comment on that, there is about 1/8" on one side and even less on the other, there does not feel like there is any play in the pinion or pulley system.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saturn 4'x4' My Second Build the first time with Clearpath Servos-img_1401-jpg   Saturn 4'x4' My Second Build the first time with Clearpath Servos-img_1398-jpg   Saturn 4'x4' My Second Build the first time with Clearpath Servos-img_1400-jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    Is the pinion rubbing against the frame (last photo)? Ours is about 1/8" away from the frame. I think Nate is working on spacers to retrofit the first Saturn machines or deeper racks for the newer models but I'm not aware of a release date - thought it was in effect for the machines going out the door now, though.

David
    David,

We swapped out the washer under the pinion for a split lock washer. That moved the pinion inward a bit. It's about 3/64 from the edge.

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Quote Originally Posted by MajorTendonitis View Post
    @Whitewolf , it certainly looks like there's better contact on the gear rack now . The pinion looks as though it's awfully close to the frame
    During testing we determined we could move it inward slightly because we dramatically reduced the in-out flex in the pinion plate.

Fine Line Automation

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FineLineAuto View Post
    During testing we determined we could move it inward slightly because we dramatically reduced the in-out flex in the pinion plate.
    That makes sense... can't do that with mine.

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

Good to hear that the drives seem solid. I'm looking forward to reading about the build!

Downloads
    Uploads

David,

We swapped out the washer under the pinion for a split lock washer. That moved the pinion inward a bit. It's about 3/64 from the edge.
    Nate,

So is that supposed to be our solution? Still seems like a wider rack would be be better...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The ideal solution would be to space the rack out with some flat stock like cncrouterparts does vs the spacing the pinion gear out more. It's basic engineering 101. The flat bar would have much more contact area than the washer behind the pinion gear.

This wouldn't be a fix to me.

Quote Originally Posted by beltramidave View Post
    Nate,

So is that supposed to be our solution? Still seems like a wider rack would be be better...

Nate,

We are still planning on moving to a wider rack. We have 3/4in wide rack being manufactured, which should give you more contact area than just using a spacer.

Right now though, the current 1/2in wide racks function fine. I am also still planning on offering the spacer to those that want it. The spacers are in transit and should be available in about 2 weeks. We have sized the screws on the Saturn machines long enough that you should just be able to unscrew the screws part way, drop in the spacers, and tighten back up.

Fine Line Automation

Quote Originally Posted by ericclinedinst View Post
    The ideal solution would be to space the rack out with some flat stock like cncrouterparts does vs the spacing the pinion gear out more. It's basic engineering 101. The flat bar would have much more contact area than the washer behind the pinion gear.

This wouldn't be a fix to me.
    Also, note that the split lock washer was not designed to move the pinion closer. It was designed to replace a flat washer to reduce the contact area of the washer to just the inner race. The flat washer extended out one the bearing cover and in some instances caused binding.

In this case, the split washer just happens to be thicker and moved the pinion inward slightly.

Fine Line Automation

Downloads
    Uploads

Nate,

With the new steel gantry, how are the wires routed from the main cable chain to the second gantry drive motor? I did not see any pass-through holes through the gantry beam, and previously I would have routed them through them middle of the aluminum extrusion.

Thanks,
    Robert

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DDgitfiddle View Post
    Nate,

With the new steel gantry, how are the wires routed from the main cable chain to the second gantry drive motor? I did not see any pass-through holes through the gantry beam, and previously I would have routed them through them middle of the aluminum extrusion.

Thanks,
    Robert
    Robert,
    I just ran along side the cable chain that is for the Z axis. Worked just fine.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DDgitfiddle View Post
    Nate,

Thanks,
    Robert
    Robert,

The gantry has a cable tray that runs the entire way across the back of the gantry. It has room for both the cable chain and routing cables across the gantry.

Fine Line Automation

Downloads
    Uploads

The spacers are in transit and should be available in about 2 weeks. We have sized the screws on the Saturn machines long enough that you should just be able to unscrew the screws part way, drop in the spacers, and tighten back up.
    Looking forward to getting and installing the spacers. I'm not having any problems since I replaced the R&P drives, but improving the rack contact has been on my list of needed improvements. Thanks for the update.
    Marc

Downloads
    Uploads

We are still planning on moving to a wider rack. We have 3/4in wide rack being manufactured, which should give you more contact area than just using a spacer.

Right now though, the current 1/2in wide racks function fine. I am also still planning on offering the spacer to those that want it. The spacers are in transit and should be available in about 2 weeks. We have sized the screws on the Saturn machines long enough that you should just be able to unscrew the screws part way, drop in the spacers, and tighten back up.
    I too would like the spacers when they become available. Thanks Nate.

Downloads
    Uploads

I too would like the spacers when they become available. Thanks Nate.
    Ditto!

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ditto!! ( X 2)

Downloads
    Uploads

Me too on the spacers.

Ward in San Diego

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Same here. Or better yet the wider rack.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not much to update at the moment, Just finished my 3D printer build now to program the firmware then its back to the CNC build

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast