Spoilboard Question for New Saturn 4x4 CNC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spoilboard Question for New Saturn 4x4 CNC

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Spoilboard Question for New Saturn 4x4 CNC

Hi Guys.

I am new to CNC and have a new Saturn 4x4.
    I would like to use 3/4 inch MDF for the spoilboard.

The work surface of the machine is 60.5 inches wide.
    The MDF sheets are 4x8 feet.

So do I lay one sheet 48 inches wide and then cut another
    12.5 inches wide and screw them down?

Or do I cut the MDF sheets so the seam is in the middle of table?

I would prefer not to use two sheets and have a seam, in case the two
    pieces are not perfectly level to one another. However 3/4 inch MDF does
    not come in 5 foot wide sheets (At least not here in BC, Canada).

How did you guys handle the spoilboard on your 4x4 Saturn machines?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
    Redcedar

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Spoilboard Question for New Saturn 4x4 CNC

However 3/4 inch MDF does not come in 5 foot wide sheets (At least not here in BC, Canada).
    It certainly does, and the 5ft sheets I use are probably made in Canada. You might be able to find a local cabinet shop order one for you. Any plywood distributors will have them in stock, but often will not sell to the general public.
    According to the specs, the machine can only cut a 52"x52" area. What I would do, is use two pieces, with a seam over one of the beams. Then add a second layer that just covers the usable area, as you'll need to surface this are flat.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Redceder , I didn't realize your in BC . I'm in Cranbrook , the eastern part of the province and was curious what area your in ? Wish I could see a Saturn in person some how , but I suspect your in the Vancouver region .
    I wish I lived further west , as CNCrouterparts would be much closer if I went that route.

As for 5' MDF , I've never seen it before , but I'm wondering if Windsor Plywood could order it for you ?

I don't actually know anything about CNC router tables , but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Downloads
    Uploads

Redcedar, I had the same dilemma. You could use 60 X 60 plywood as a base since plywood IS available...it is actually cheaper than the 4 X 8 sheets.

However I did notice that the work envelope never reaches the back 12" so you could use 60" wide by 48" deep MDF cut out of a 4 X 8'.

I ended up special ordering two pieces of 60 X 60 MDF laminated together and one piece of 48 X 48 for the cut area.

Ward

Last edited by sybilsurf; 05-01-2017 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Faulty memory!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Check with your local Big Box stores like Home Depot or Lowes they may be able to order the larger size of MDF. If not a seam is not the end of the world as you will be surfacing your spoilboard anyways, and don't forget to seal the surface after you machine it. I re-surface mine every 4-6 months as the MDF will swell and move a bit as it draws in airborne moisture. Be prepared to make a ton of MDF dust when surfacing your spoilboard and at a minimum wear a dust mask or better yet a respirator. MDF dust is like flour and seems to float in the air forever so I would also recommend some form of dust collection also.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sybilsurf View Post
    Redcedar, I had the same dilemma. You could use 60 X 60 plywood as a base since plywood IS available...it is actually cheaper than the 4 X 8 sheets.

However I did notice that the work envelope never reaches the back 12" so you can use 60" wide by 48" deep MDF. So I used 2 layers of 60 X 48, and a third layer of 48 X 48 on top of that for the spoilboard.

Ward
    The last time I bought a 5'/5' sheet of 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood from WP , it was over $100 after tax . We're in Canada eh

I don't actually know anything about CNC router tables , but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting....here in San Diego 5 X 5 is about half the cost per square foot as the 4 X 8 stuff....I pay about $32 or so for 3/4", but a 4 X 8 sheet is $64.

Downloads
    Uploads

$32 is pretty cheap for a 5x5 of 3/4" baltic birch. I just checked, and my wholesale price is $38. Going to a local store that sells to the public, it would be over $50-$60. A 3/4" 4x8 at Menards is about $80

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting....here in San Diego 5 X 5 is about half the cost per square foot as the 4 X 8 stuff....I pay about $32 or so for 3/4", but a 4 X 8 sheet is $64.
    Well we pay double for everything,so that's fairly close on the 4x8

Downloads
    Uploads

Since our 4x4 machines cannot reach the limits of the spoilboard frame to machine all the mounting holes, how have people done this? Hadn't really given this much thought, but now that I have my 60x60 mdf, it just hit me... Obviously you can tile the back row, but not being able to reach the holes further out on the X is my main concern. Also when it comes to surfacing, that is an issue too. I have one cross beam (3rd one back from the front) that is almost .08" higher than the rest, which really causes an issue. Thinking that I will have a double thickness of mdf with the top layer being sized to the machine limits, so it can be surfaced completely..

How many of the frame mounting holes are people using? I was thinking of only going every 12 inches on the X. Is that too far apart? On my temporary spoilboard, I thru bore 3/8" diameter holes (to allow for misaligned threaded holes) and then counter sunk 1" diameter holes, .3" deep to allow for washers.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by beltramidave View Post
    Also when it comes to surfacing, that is an issue too. I have one cross beam (3rd one back from the front) that is almost .08" higher than the rest, which really causes an issue.
    That's a bit disappointing, and was my concern with buying one sight unseen . Can you dado the spoil board where it contacts this crossmember? You shouldn't have to , but it's an alternative, well other than cutting and re-welding.
    Or I guess the remaining holes could have washers glued to them, raising the spoil board to match?

Downloads
    Uploads

Dave, I just used two layers of the 60 X 60 and a third layer for the cutting area. This way the 48 X 48 area is sort of hi-lighted.

I used every screw and used the oversized holes and washer same as you did.

I like the dado idea too....the way I see it, once you surface the spoilboard it will be exactly parallel to the ways, which is what we want. BTW mine initially needed about .060" to flatten If I remember correctly. No big deal.

Ward

Downloads
    Uploads

Dave, I just used two layers of the 60 X 60 and a third layer for the cutting area. This way the 48 X 48 area is sort of hi-lighted.

I used every screw and used the oversized holes and washer same as you did.

I like the dado idea too....the way I see it, once you surface the spoilboard it will be exactly parallel to the ways, which is what we want. BTW mine initially needed about .060" to flatten If I remember correctly. No big deal.

Ward
    Ward,
    Did you hand drill and countersink all the holes the machine couldn't reach? Using every hole seems like overkill to me, especially with 3 thicknesses.

Will have to think about dado-ing. I was disappointed in the difference in height too, but cutting and rewelding isn't an option now. Nate said he would have to add that check to his quality check..

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Dave, I was worried first that there were so many holes I couldn't reach with the router. And then I realized that those holes don't matter! You just need to screw the spoilboard in the cutting area.

So I ended up dry running the program without the MDF so I was confident of the program, and then drilled 90 per cent through, and then shifted the MDF and finished up with a hand drill.

Ward

Downloads
    Uploads

Got spoilboard done, other than some threaded inserts (need to order more). Took 2 pieces of 3/4" mdf, left the bottom sheet full size (60x60). Cut the top piece to the machine max limits. Recessed bolt holes for 1/4x20x2" bolts and washers, used the machine for all machining (having to slide board forward to be able to reach last row) and went through both sheets of mdf into frame predrilled holes. Spaced mounting holes 9" apart. Then surfaced (Onsrud 91-000) top piece (trammed spindle too), then vcarved grid and installed 1/4x20 threaded inserts (McMaster #92105A100) at 5" spacing.

Overall pretty happy with the way it turned out. May attach some kind of vertical barrier along the sides to keep dust/chips from escaping the table. Attached are a couple of pics.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spoilboard Question for New Saturn 4x4 CNC-img_20170529_140956457_hdr-jpg   Spoilboard Question for New Saturn 4x4 CNC-img_20170529_141022021_hdr-jpg   Spoilboard Question for New Saturn 4x4 CNC-img_20170529_141032303-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I bought some from Slegg Building materials several years ago. They're on the Island. I'm pretty sure it was 5 feet wide.

Downloads
    Uploads

The spoilboard looks really nice and so does the grid. Let's hope it doesn't stay that way too long - gotta' get to cutting things!

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

Loving the grid pattern idea , great job , it looks first rate

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    The spoilboard looks really nice and so does the grid. Let's hope it doesn't stay that way too long - gotta' get to cutting things!

David
    Have been zeroing to the spoilboard more lately when cutting profiles, lot less cut marks that way. The grid really speeds part placement, too. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by beltramidave View Post
    Have been zeroing to the spoilboard more lately when cutting profiles, lot less cut marks that way. The grid really speeds part placement, too. Thanks
    Yep, I just cut a grid in mine a few weeks ago and it makes placement so much faster than constantly measuring for square.

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast